Marie Creek Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Length8.7 miElevation gain1,564 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (266)
Recordings (129)
Completed (388)
Shane Zaring
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 28, 2021
HikingGreat!Snow

Went February 27th. The snow wasn’t very deep or icy on the trail. Great hike. Lots of switchbacks so it wasn’t very steep.

Madie S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 24, 2021
HikingBlowdownIcyMuddySnow

Always one of my favorite go to trails! However, right now the trail is very iced over and muddy in some parts and LOTS of downed trees all over the place. Some parts trees are covering the path for quite a ways so you'll have to climb over or walk around and try to find the path again.

Tom Whin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 31, 2020
HikingGreat!Snow

I think winter is the best time to do this. We went after a snowfall and it was very nice with flocked trees and frozen and not muddy trail. Wore stabilicers which worked great. It’s about 0.9 mi to the saddle where a bench is located. Another 0.9 down to the creek. A scenic meadow is not much further and is our usual turnaround point. 4wd recommended for accessing the TH after a snow.

Trent Gibbons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 4, 2020
Walking

meh

View Trent 's Recording
Bryan Avante
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! Zero mud, mostly clear trail, able to keep dry on creek crossings.

View Bryan's Recording
Debbi P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 10, 2020
Hiking

Plenty of shade and, even in September, there were several creek crossings for the dogs (we only went in 2.5 miles due to time constraints). To our turn around it was an easy trail through the woods (ie no big views).

Steven L Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2020
Hiking

Late summer, and a pretty dry one too. No mud, at least for the first three miles in. Trail well defined and a bit overgrown in places. Still easy to get through. A few "rock gardens" to traverse, so watch your step in places. A few interesting stops along the way, (canyon rock fall, dog pools in the stream, rock horse "corral". Path is fairly skinny, follow the leader type walk. Not side-by-side. A lot of canopy and shade, but a few sunny areas too. Maybe 70/30, shade/sun. Dog friendly, but they will stick to the trail most of the time due to the thick undergrowth.

Angel T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail is well worn, plenty of signage and accurate at 8.7 ish miles in and out. The app I used 8.58 and we checked out this and that along the trail. Definite trails end sign at the turn around. Took 4 hours round trip and we explored and took a ton of pics. Undulating easy trail. No strenuous ups and downs. Enjoy.

Kimberley Seitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020

I gave this trail a three because the trail itself is extremely bumpy from years of mud and bog. Additionally, earlier reviews this summer indicate it's always extremely muddy. We figured since it's August 1st and there's been several weeks of high 90 temperatures, it would all be dried up, but we were wrong. In fact, we didn't finish the last mile because there was a bog at the end that was so wide, long and deep, we would have been up to our boot tops if we had tried. Instead, we decided we would turn back and go hike 4th of July. That was lovely. The thing I did like about this hike, is that the first mile is where you gained the most elevation and then afterward it is relatively flat. At 1.75 mi there's water for the dogs. there's also a couple of Creek crossings after that so you don't need to bring water for the dogs. There were service berries along the trails, which made it fun to pick on the way up and back. There are large sections of the trail that have significant foxglove grass. At least seven times, we had to stop and pull out probably 50 or more fox gloves that were trying to embed in our furry friend. Granted, he's got long fur, but he was on a leash on the trail the entire time and it still happened. It made it miserable. Also, if these are left undone, they can lead to abscesses and painful spots for the dog. I would suggest you could go earlier in the summer to avoid them, but then based on others review of all the mud I don't think that would be an option either. in the end, this trail is just average. There are no spectacular views, although it does have mostly shade with some sunspots. Also, there were nothing of particular interest that made you want to return.

Mike D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingOver grown

Easy trail, especially on a sunny day. Some down trees and overgrown bushes. Creeks along the way and had to cross a few. All in all it was a great hike especially for a beginner.

Heidi P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Stay to right when you see the 202 sign and the parking lot is just ahead. Lots of shade and a good part of the trail you can see or hear the creek. Lots of trees have fallen over in the trail and there are several parts where you cross the creek. Fun, easy hike with varied terrain.

Shannon Behrens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail that leads to a creek and meadow. I would not recommend going past the meadow unless you know the area because the signs have been switched around causing you to go off the path. That was a tip from a local we met on the trail.

Jennifer Rainey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Fun, mostly shaded trail. It was a fairly easy jaunt, but simply ended with no signage or anything. A few spots along the way to camp or have a fire. Beautiful creek-side trail.

Scott Christian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown
View Scott's Recording
Suni Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
HikingMuddy

Super muddy, but if you don’t mind, it’s a fun trail. Crossed a creek a few times, tried to dodge the mud as much as possible, and overall had a good hike. We got confused by the sign that’s posted about 3 miles into it, so we didn’t reach “the end” but I think we were within a mile of it. Wear hiking boots and have a spare pair of shoes and socks in the car!

Bethany Lemon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2020

I love this trail, the mud and creeks just make it all the more adventurous . Toward the end I started seeing moose scat as well as tracks . ( I was out pretty early and was most definitely the only human 4 miles out) I was startled because I heard what must have been a moose running. It was loud, I jumped out of the trail and stamped my feet so I wouldn't startle it if it started running down the trail. I never saw it but was glad I brought my bear spray and am fortunate enough to have a neat story now!

Kari Blomster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
HikingMuddy

Trail was very muddy as everyone said. And it was a great trail! I made it about 2.5/3 miles in and will be returning in the summer to hike the whole trail. Peaceful hike.

View Kari's Recording
Justin Mills
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

Extremely muddy first mile. Not bad after but deff wet. Bring another pair of shoes and probably pants. Make sure your boots are waterproof.

View Justin's Recording
Spencer Farris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
Hiking

This is a pretty great hike. The 1st mile has a lot of mud, but after that ifs not as bad. The forest is fantastic. There is a pretty "larger" stream that crosses the trail around mile 3ish but if you are willing to get your feet wet it's not an issue. There is also a sign that I think is pointing in the wrong direction as you can tell it's been washed out and propped back up. The trail continues straight ahead across the stream but the sign indicates this is the 6 miles to a forest service road and not the 2 miles left to the dead end like it should. Overall I really enjoyed this hike. Would recommend.

Nicole H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 18, 2020
HikingMuddy

extremely muddy at beginning, amazing trail and view.

Shelley Hewitt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
View Shelley's Recording
Cheri King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 8, 2020
Horseback riding

Totally awesome!

View Cheri's Recording
Chandler Etheridge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

We did this hike twice in the beginning and end of one week! It’s just great you get some diversity on the trail with mountain sun views but mostly “fairy” like creek areas with make shift wooden bridges, ferns moss and cedars. It’s very nice and peaceful in the evening hours too. Some parts there are creeks you have to find your way across when the water is high but if you look hard there is always a way. Not too highly trafficked also saw about 4 families the whole time. I think this trail I still a secret as I’ve lived here twenty plus and never heard of it. It’s my new favorite! Oh and found lots of morels along the trail