Marie Creek Trail

Marie Creek Trail is a 8.3 mile out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

one of my favorite trails!

I only went 2 miles in and turned around soon after the trail rejoins the creek. I wanted to go further, in fact the trail did everything it could to seduce me further, but real life obligations forced me to turn around. The first mile was through the woods and is a good, get-the-heart-pumping walk. I stopped at the top where the bench is and, once my breath and heart slowed, I realized it was the quietest place I had been in years. No highway noises or chainsaws or motors. It reminded me of articles where scientists are recording nature on top of mountains in Alaska because they want to document places where there is no human sound. I was the only source of any noise. Loved it.

The hike down to the creek revealed a beautiful valley where the larches on the other side peppered the evergreens with orange. Fall is definitely flexing its muscles here.

There was frost on the ground when I reached the creek and I could feel the temperature dropping as I descended. I was here on October 30th, so bring layers if you are planning on coming here in November.

I will come back with more time and maybe a tent. Drive in was fine. The last quarter mile takes some skill, but I was able to navigate it pretty well in a Corolla.

one of the most beautiful hikes in the area, easy hike!

Easy hike, no views at the end (it just ends out of nowhere) but beautiful creek and lots of green. Hiked up and ran down. Will definitley go back for trail running.

Beautiful area! The lush greenness inside this trail is so refreshing! We went all the way to the back & did see a black bear. He didn't bother us, but would be a good idea to carry bear spray. I would recommend this trail. It's good for the soul.

Marie creek trail is a 10 mile loop trail. creek crossings, some boggy areas, some rocky areas through the canyon. some technical trail. beautiful!

I had the place to myself. The trail is fairly basic, with some nice forest scenery and several meetings with creeks along the way. The dead end at four point something miles is not particularly interesting. The trail just disappears after climbing over a bunch of fallen trees and going a bit further. Instead of that, the 3 way trail split at just over 2 miles out (marked by a sign) is a better out-and-back destination for about a 4 to 5 mile total (instead of 8 to 9). The creek bend and crossing at that spot are interesting. My favorite things were the view of the nearby ridge early in the hike, the small meadow, the creek interactions, and the fact that this is one of few nearby hikes with zero views of manmade structures... just nature.

Beautiful hike! You pass the creek several times and go through an open field to continue into the forest on the other side. Gorgeous views and lots of plant life I'd never seen. Highly recommended.

Didn't care for this trail nearly as much as Chilco. Turned around an hour in because it was so overgrown and I was eating spiderwebs the entire time. :/ Reminded me of hiking back east where it's muggy and there's too much undergrowth. I would definitely suggest hiking up to both N Chilco and S Chilco if you want a good day hike outside of Coeur d'Alene instead of taking this trail...

Wonderful hike. I wouldn't suggest going until June or when the rain clears up. It was pretty easy and such beautiful spots. I would definitely suggest going.

The road, just before trailhead will fork. You'll want to stay right at the fork.
As others have noted, unless there's been a stretch of dry weather, expect muddy areas the first mile.
This was a really nice hike which was mostly easy to trek with the exception of the last half mile or so which had several fallen trees across the path. Horse riders would not be able to get around these.
As Danielle noted, once you cross skitwish creek, you'll see two trails - stay to the right if you want to stay on track for this trail.

great trail until you get to the rocks...had to turn the horses around and head back. bummed we couldn't keep going.

Went here today before the heat set in. The first half mile is still pretty muddy but clears up after that. If you make it all the way to the skit wish creek. There is a sign that isn't placed correctly. Be warned if you think you are going to go across the creek and go left, it will take you up hill for 6 miles coming to the national forest road 202. Then you take the forest road all down hill for 6 miles to the parking lot. Loved the hike but wish there was more markers.

Beautiful hike! Mud, walk, half mile starting up. Waterproof hiking boots, recommended. ❤️

Great hike really wet and muddy we could not cross the creek today it's running a bit to high.

If you have recently purchased yourself a new pair of kicks, and are thinking of trying them out on this trail, I’d recommend giving it another week or two. The first half mile of the trail is mostly slogging through very sloppy mud, with no opportunity to walk off to the side. You will have to cross a few creeks to finish this trail. At this point, in early spring, the water is quite high, but passable. Everything is green and fresh, and the flowers are starting to bloom.

Still some mud the first mile after that the trail is dry and the creek views are beautiful one of my favorites in the area

Great day hike! Trail had lots of mud and snow, so would recommend trying it out a littler later in the year. Beautiful area, lots of wildlife, great water views! Didn't make it all the way since it started to snow on us, but in line with Idaho weather, blue skies when we left and arrived back at the parking lot!

Very spring like conditions. Very muddy for the first 1.5 miles, Then dry and then lots of snow. Can't wait to come back in the summer to really hike the trail. Very beautiful area though. If driving up to the trail head there is big ruts that would require an SUV, truck or a car with high clearance.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Beautiful out and back trail, the trail does have a lot of water on it in the fall part of the year so wear boots / waterproof shoes. Lots of off trail fun if you are into it- be careful of road in and out as it is very curvy