Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Malad Gorge is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hagerman, Idaho that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

fee

Please note this is less of a hike and more of a viewpoint along the road.

fee

I’m surprised by some of the reviews for this hike. I think It would depend on what time of year you go. Spring time is best, but preferably on a dry day. There is a fee of $5, but if you have your parks pass they wave you in. Stay to the right and go towards the “Devil’s Wash Bowl” park and walk across the bridge! Wow what an amazing site! The water was running big today I suspect because of Spring run off. BTW go on a day that isn’t too warm. Today was around 65 degrees which is perfect. If you choose to do this hike in the summer I suggest early AM or later in the evening. Because it was spring there were plenty of green bushes sprouting through the Ancient lava rocks making it very pretty. Once you cross the bridge there is a concrete path that will bring you about 1/4 miles (easy, flat and no fencing so hold onto your little kiddos) to a look out point of both falls, one to the north and one to the south. If you walk further you will hit a well maintained dirt path. I went about 1/2 mile more and got a great shot of the second falls. I suppose you could go even more, however I had some people waiting on me back at the parking area. I did see a family with young children walk ahead of me. I’m sure there are more views waiting. We also drove on to the other view points on the east side of the bridge. You can see the dam and the Salmon ladder. I will definitely be back to se a bit more. If you live in the Treasure Valley this is an easy Day trip! Bring your lunch and you can have a picnic at one of their many tables at the park as well as BBQ’s provided. There’s even a children’s playground. I posted some photos, Enjoy! Oh and reminder to bring water!

fee

it's a state park. it's not pretty, theres one part that's kinda cool and that's what everyone's picture is of on here. it's hot, unshaded and just overall not good. wont be back.

More drive than hiking, but very beautiful. Lots of photo ops. I got off the road some but I don't recommend to families and kids due to rattlesnake country. Cool views from bridge across the gorge.

Wed May 30 2018

Not really a hike. A self guided tour through Malad Gorge State Park. There is a $5 entrance fee which goes towards maintaining the park. It’s mostly an all drive experience.

Sun May 27 2018

very easy you do go of the path. very pretty to look at. wish there was more here

Sun May 20 2018

Not really a "hike" but the view is great. A favorite spot to take friends and family who visit from out of state. There is a $5 state park fee just an FYI. It works on an honor system most of the time and I have seen them come by and check so just drop your $5 in the little envelope and don't be a jerk about it. There are picnic areas and even a little play ground of you drive around. But still, not a whole lot to see/do. I suggest making a day of it and adding thousand springs park or Shoshone falls into your schedule and enjoying a nice scenic drive.

Thu May 10 2018

I have the State Parks Pass, so its worth it for me to stop here just to enjoy the view. Its a bummer that they built the interstate directly over the most impressive part of the gorge. Oh well, still fun to check out!

Fri May 04 2018

The fact that you have to pay even $5 to get in isn’t worth it, the only thing worth while is the bridge overlooking the rapids. I’d honestly not recommend this is you’re wanting a hike, it’s more of a “stop and stretch” area.

Sat Mar 10 2018

Good place to stretch your legs while driving I – 84. Dog loved it!

Wed Jul 26 2017

Great

Sun Jul 16 2017

More of a drive through trail than anything. There is a .2 mile side trail to an overlook point with good views of the wash bowl but other than that not much of a hike.

Sun Mar 19 2017

It's more of a walk but views are stunning!

Thu Feb 03 2011

Not really my idea of a hike as it is down a wide paved path over the Malad river to some sign boards back to the parking lot which is about a tenth of a mile hike then one can go down the east side of the canyon either in a car or walk down the very nice gravel road dodging cars along the canyon and look over once in a while. Ok I grew up in the area and in the day this hike was started insdie the gorge on the south side of the small Idaho Power Reservoir where one could scramble over the small dam and explore the many waterfalls and creeks pouring out of the sides of the gorge that is unseen from the upper "trail", one could catch crayfish while skinnydipping in one of the many pools found along side the canyons walls, the fishing was excellent in the small reservoir, and the hike was very difficult but rewarding to make it up to the devils washbowl and dive into it's small pool. Now there is a Idaho Power gate across the road with a no trespassing sign, didnt know that use of a river allowed idaho power to prevent access to a beautiful canyon and am trying to open this area back up but will probably take a legal action to make it happen which is sad

Tue May 07 2019