Loon Lake Loop Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mc Call, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Hikers/walkers usually start from Chinook Campground and loop across the campground bridge to Loon Lake and return over the CCC Bridge and up the Secesh River. It is about 10 miles round trip. It is about a mile, either way, to the bomber crash site from the Loon Lake outlet.

4th of July weekend. It was Hot! Very little shade do to the Fire and all the burnt trees. We did the loop and and on the way back the trail got narrow a bit and at times the trail had a high cliff going down to the river. We had to keep moving out of the way for Motorbikes. It was tough when the trail was so narrow. We also seen a few Motorbikes that had fallen down the steep cliff and were left next to the river. The lake was so beautiful and crisp cold, so it was refreshing. We didn't make it to the plane due to flooding. Will try and go back when it is cooler and hopefully see the plane.

Backpacked in over Labor Day weekend. We went counter-clockwise, starting with crossing the bridge at the trailhead. Trails were well maintained, but exposed because of the fire, so it was HOT.
Once we got to the loop to go to the plane, the trails were a disaster. Continuing counter-clockwise there's a fallen tree that you have to climb over about every 5 feet or so, and then if you go the other way it's a complete marsh with no clear trail and even more deadfall to climb and navigate over. Kind of an ass-kicker on the way back, but that's probably because our morning started with 1.5 hours of navigating through the marsh and deadfall so we were already tired.
Fun trip though, plane was cool.

A group of 8 of us just hiked this loop a couple of days ago. We went down on the West side of the loop (right of the trailhead) and came back up along the Secesh River on the East side of the loop. The hike was fun, moderate, not hard at all but I was disappointed to see so many burned down trees. Although we still enjoyed the hike it would have been breathtaking before the fire destroyed most of the area in the late 2000s. The West side of the loop was very hot and dusty with little shade but the East side along the river was much nicer. We camped at a great beach spot in front of the lake the first night and hiked to see the 23 Bomber which was pretty neat. The hike to the Bomber was easy although we had to climb over burned down logs most of the way. There was also water crossing to it so bring water shoes or climb over a large log. It's easier to hike to the Bomber by taking a right from the campground in front of the lake since we heard the left side was very marshy and wet. The second day we found a hidden Hot Springs called Secesh hotsprings. It was quite a climb up the mountain along the spring but breathtaking once up above. We almost gave up trying to find it but we just kept going up almost to the top of the mountain... There were 2-3 decent size pools but pretty dirty although we cleaned one and enjoyed it. The second night we camped on an awesome beach spot with white sand by the Secesh River. This spot was to the right of the bridge off the Secesh R Trail towards Whangdoodle Trail. About a mile off that trail we crossed the river to find the hotsprings and the beach camp spot was about a half mile back from there. The hotsprings was before the Whangdoodle Trail. Overall we had a spectacular time although I wish I would have known about the burned down trees the entire hike...

This is an awesome day hike! Lunch at the lake and WWII plane wreckage to look at!

My first backpacking trip. I had day hiked this in 2006 with my kids. This was my first overnighter. Sad to see the damage to the forest from the fire but the new growth is encouraging. We saw a wolf on the trail heading out early morning.

Went clockwise around trails perfect day hike and plane wreckage was amazing to see! For me 4 hours with a short sandwich stop.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

trail into lake either direction is in perfect shape. lots of hard work has obviously gone in to clearing deadfall. trails to the bomber crash site were in horrible condition. watch for Mamma Moose and baby at crash site. very very marshy conditions. in mid -late July. at upper end of lake.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

We hiked this last year in June 2016. We hiked to the bomber which was a challenge. The water was high and we had to cross two rivers. It worked out because there were a lot of downed trees we had to hike over so the cold water was a welcome. If you're up for an adventure I'd say do it!! It took us from start to finish with a few resting points about 6 hours.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

I enjoyed this trail. I would say it is moderate in difficulty but the last half that follows the river is a little tricky. I did this in 2014 and have it on my list for 2017 again. Skilled mountain bikers should have no issues with this trail.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Good for a shorter hike. Not as scenic as trails in the Sawtooths, but no snow on the trail for Memorial Day Weekend.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

This was a great trail for our family's first backpacking experience. We camped right on the beach at Loon Lake and our boys (ages 9 and 11) loved swimming in the shallow lake, catching frogs, hiking over to check out the bomber and waking up to a moose right outside of our tent in the morning!

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Great ride. if you want to ride 20 plus miles it is recommended to start at Ruby Meadows and return to Chinnock Camp Ground. Bomber is a short hike left side of lake.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Great easy hike! Camped one night. Loon lake was beautiful and loved that there was some history there with the B-23 bomber plane wreckage. Not a bad spot to pick to crash a plane. All 8 men survived. Incredible! It's definitely worth the 2 hour hike!

Sunday, June 07, 2015

This hike was a pleasant one. The main loop and hike which is the 10 miles doesn't take you around the lake to the crash site of the B-23. Plan an extra 2 miles for this as well as a couple hours as the "trail" to the crash site is obstructed with hundreds of downed trees from the fires that came through this area a few years ago. If you make the trip in early spring, plan on getting wet if you want to get to the crash site, the water level is very high and the plane itself is in about 8 inches of water.

All in all it's a good day hike and the area is recovering from the fires a few years ago, lots of young growth and green, mixed with gray and charred trees.

Monday, July 21, 2014

I would give this 4 stars, but due to fires in the area within the last couple of years there are many downed trees on the trail. The area is recovering very nicely though. The ground is green and lush, just expect to see many burnt trees.

Also, note the trail does not fully loop around the lake! In order to get to the bomber crash site you must cross a creek on the far side (no bridge) and walk a through a thick, sometimes wet grassy area without a trail. I didn't learn this until after I had turned around so I'll be going back for the plane next year!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

This is a great lake to hike into for many reasons! The scenery is awesome is just one reason among many others, but the main reason is the remain of a World War 2 plane that rest at the south end of the lake.

Friday, August 20, 2010

I added a short video recorded with my pocket camera to the Chinook Campground POI (#1). The video is of Chinook Salmon spawning in the Secesh River near the auto bridge on Warren Wagon Road.

Monday, November 13, 2017