Long Gulch to Pioneer Cabin Loop

Long Gulch to Pioneer Cabin Loop is a 8.8 mile loop trail located near Sun Valley, Idaho that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Pioneer Cabin to Long Gulch Loop (#122 to #170): The trail to the Pioneer Cabin is one of the areas most popular hikes. It climbs through more than 23 switchbacks up a forested ridge and across a flower-decorated plateau to one of the best vistas in the valley. The cabin, situated at the brink of a steep drop into the North Fork of Hyndman basin, was modeled after alpine huts in Europe. It was built by the Sun Valley Company in 1938 to make skiing in the Pioneer Mountains more accessible for the Alpine Touring branch of the Ski School. Several of the dramatic peaks viewed from the cabin were named by the members of the Alpine Touring program for colleagues who were killed while serving in the 10th Mountain Division during World War II.

Amazing loop! My wife and I ran this loop on 10/3/17. The snow was pretty troublesome and the creek crossings were high, but the views were unbeatable.

This was my first big day hike and whooped me big time! I didn't count how many switchbacks were there but it was challenging and constant uphill climb. However, it was such a rewarding view that I know I am going back to do this with better stamina and physical condition. So this October, with more experience gained, I'm going back and see its beauty once again!

Wildflowers galore and gorgeous views! 4 hrs of switchbacks up to Pioneer Cabin. Then Long Gulch Loop 3.5 hrs down across scree then up to ridge then slow descent across ridge back to parking lot. Over 3000 foot change in elevation. Recommend 3.0+ liters water per person (we ran out).

The ultimate classic hike in the Sun Valley area. The views at pioneer cabin are amazing. Many people take this as an up and back hike, but I would suggest you do the full loop.

This trail is gorgeous. The hike up is pretty brutal but definitely worth it. if you intend on doing the loop, go down past the cabin and go to your left. You'll walk through a meadow and then the trail goes through very steep shale and rock fall. Just don't be a moron and go straight down. If you can't find the second half of the loop, just go back the way you came. If you want to, you can go down a different trail that will drop you out Hyndman creek which is all the way at the end of East Fork Road

Great workout, rewarding views and great wildflowers in early July ... a little late so I'm told because of the big winter. Great loop.

I am alive! Seriously. STAY ON TRAIL if your doing the loop. My friends decided to bushwack down because they didn't see the trail as we left the cabin lots of quarry bits with an infant in a baby pack and 2 little girls. I followed the group against my own common sense ended up all cut and freezing at nightfall with the rangers rescuing us. YESH! The cabin is awesome. I wish I had taken Jane Fonda offer of extra sandwiches (we were hiking up and she was coming down) beginning of day because we were hungry. Gorgeous hike. My tips bring water, food, rain clothing, warm clothes and go early and stay on trail! If your friends decide to bushwack because they are not sure of that TRAIL STAY ON TRAIL! Its horrible thorns and burrs if you go off the trail. We did hear wolves at night down by the creek. Really scary experience but I learned to never follow people who stray off the trail

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Out and back to pioneer cabin - 8 miles - 3:45 with plenty of stops.

Friday, July 15, 2016

This is a great but difficult hike. Take hiking poles. Also check to see if there are sheep grazing along the trail. U might have to alter the hike to avoid dealing with the dogs guarding the sheep. If u are going to do the loop, I prefer going up Long Gulch and coming down the Pioneer Cabin trail. It is a longer climb but I think it is more difficult to come down in many places. Whatever ur means of getting to the cabin u will b rewarded by the beautiful views. The cabin itself has a story that I would recommend checking out.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Wear thick socks, good shoes (cover your ankles or the ice will make them bleed if you're going in May), and wear sunscreen because you will get burned.
& Most beautiful view EVER