Long Canyon Trail is a 34.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bonners Ferry, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length34.8 miElevation gain8,179 ftRoute typePoint to point
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingForestLakeRiverViewswild-flowersWildlifeSnow
Waypoints (2)
Photos (25)
Recordings (9)
Completed (22)
Thao Tran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 1, 2020
View Thao's Recording
XB outdoors
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020
Backpacking

We clocked the hike at 36 miles. We weren't expecting this long of a hike. If they could change the info on AllTrails I'm certain our experience would've been better.

Weston Thomson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
BackpackingBlowdownBugs

Great hike. Mosquitos were relentless. Definitely bring bug spray and clothes to cover up. Buddy and I began at 5pm on Saturday (7/25) and hiked until 10pm where we camped just past the second crossing of Long Canyon Creek. The next day we broke camp at 10am and hit the trail. There was plenty of water to filter and drink along the Long Canyon Trail #16. Once you get up on to the Parker Ridge Trail #221, it gets dry and there is much less shade. We had to make a detour (1/2 mile) down to Parker Lake to get water. Made it back to our car at 11:30pm. Certainly felt like more than 27 miles with all of the switchbacks. I would recommend giving yourself two full days to hike so that you can slow down and enjoy the scenery. Note: There are 3 points at which you have to cross Long Canyon Creek. The water is fast but you can easily find shallow spots (knee deep or less).

Marshall Powell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Just finished this in two days. Left a bike at the Parker Creek trail head (trail 221) started at Long Canyon creek trail head (trail 16.) Trail is in great shape all the way through, all blow downs have been recently cleared. Creek crossings are all fine. Lots of skeeters. Still a few patches of snow on Parker Ridge but not enough to slow you down. Not sure where AllTrails got 27.3 miles. It’s a solid 35 with a one mile H2O detour at Parker Lake.

View Marshall's Recording
Adam Tait
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 19, 2020
HikingBugs

Unfortunately, I was unable to complete this hike. I reached the campsite and Canyon Creek at mile 7, but could go no further. There are no bridges for this crossing, but Canyon Creek is about waist-high and moving very quickly. As I was hiking alone, I did not want to try to make the cross myself. I would definitely wait until July to make this crossing - I just felt it was too dangerous to try. The Forest Service website only mentions that this a river crossing with no bridge, but gives zero warning about the height and speed of Canyon Creek this time of year.

Sam whatever
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 9, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddy

Only did the first 4 miles to test out some new gear. 1st .5 mile is a bit muddy but not bad, after the first 2 miles there are about 4 blow downs that are fairly easy to traverse and the trail is dry. Saw bear and moose sign but nothing outside of birds and squirrels in person. Planning on finishing this trail next month, 1st 4 or so miles are a perfect hike this early in the season.

View Sam's Recording
Miguel Johns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2019
Hiking

A friend and I did this hike back in late September, 2017. We started at the Trout Creek trailhead and went over Pyramid Pass to get to the Long Canyon/Parker loop. Going this route, we got in rougly 52 miles in a 3 day hike. We skipped Long Mountain Lake (1/4 mile to the lake) and Parker Peak (1/2 mile to the peak), but we did go and see Parker Lake (1/2 mile to the lake). We started with going down Long Canyon, which was very shaded and had lots of water sources. There's about 3 dedicated camping areas along the way. The old cedar and pine trees are amazing to see. You have to cross 3 creeks, which wasn't too bad in late September, but just be aware. There was a fire up Parker Ridge back in August, 2015 so there's plenty of burnt trees so be careful. Going up Parker Ridge is very strenuous. Bring lots of water before going up as theres only 1 water source between the trailhead and Parker Lake and it's a very small and slow moving spring (more like a mud puddle). The views from on top of Parker Ridge are breathtaking and well worth all the effort. You can see Montana, Washington, and Canada just by turning your head up there!

Daniel Mitchell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 1, 2017
First to Review

I decided to make this my last hike of 2016. I did it in a snowstorm, with snowshoes. I managed about 8 miles before my legs had enough. This is a hardcore trail in the snow. What a wonderful trail to end out my hiking year! Before you make this hike, do a bit of research. Study the map before driving to the trail head. There are rivers, streams, alpine lakes, mountains, and abundant wildlife to see on this hike. This would be a fantastic camping / hiking trail in fairer weather. I plan to come back in the spring, and will be prepared to make this a two-day hike.

Scott Lathen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
View Scott's Recording
Nathan Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
View Nathan's Recording
softwaring art
View softwaring's Recording
Anders Milk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
View Anders's Recording
Yolaunda McGreevy-Privett
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 19, 2019
View Yolaunda's Recording
David Lien
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2011
View David's Recording