Lone Lake Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mullan, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,666 feet Route Type: Out & Back

recorded Lone Lake Trail

flooded

Trail is still muddy, wet and snowy once you get near the waterfall. Got to the lake, and super worth it!

May 24th-25th overnight backpacking trip. Dry road to TH. Parked at TH parking lot, not realizing that we could have parked at the upper parking lot about 1/4 mile up the Lone Lake Trail. Dry trail for 2/3 of trail, then hit snow on trail. When we arrived near the waterfall, we were unable to locate the switch back portion of trail due to snow, so we ended up hiking straight up the snowy hill. This eventually tied us back into the main trail. Lake is still mostly iced over with some melted portions. Camped in what appears to be the only available camp site, at least that we could see. Good trip.

Second attempt to make it to the lake We started very early but backed out at the water fall after attempting to follow the trial after the falls hillside was warming up fast still alot of wet snow .

We made it to the waterfall today. Still very snowy, but beautiful. It is definitely still winter up here! We were able to drive on the service road most of the way. It will be a while before all the snow melts. Lots of rushing water!

icy

Made it to the lake! Still lots of snow, would recommend waiting a few more weeks.

Very steep at the end, very snowy still, definitely need snowshoes.

3/21/20 Beautiful day beautiful scenery! snowshoe from freeway to Steven's peak!

March 13, 2020 snowshoeing , beautiful scenery plan on leaving from the freeway until the snow melts down low. so add a mile to your trip!

icy

12-10-19 Broke trail up to the south side of the lake, snowshoes required. Road to the trailhead was in good condition then. Magnificent hike.

icy

This was the 3rd trail my wife and hit this week on the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. And with plenty of trails traversed in Montana, Washington, Idaho and our home state of Oregon, this one is top 5, easy. Being the first week of November, we felt very fortunate that the Lake was accessible. The ice and snow was a deterrent but nothing that could keep us away from seeing a beautiful high lake completely frozen over on a perfectly chrisp, sunny day. Took us around 3 and a half hours, which didn't seem bad with slick conditions and me be 50 and out of shape.

This route was to the top of Stevens Peak. slightly longer but easy to navigate from top lake. Not a good idea to follow my route unless you have traction and self-arrest tools. the upper part before reaching the ridge is very steep and very exposed. overall thought it was awesome. couple more storms and you'll be able to ski in.

Just finished the trail yesterday 10/5. We were unprepared for all the snow on the last 1/3 of the trail. Hung around the lake for a while and we finally left when snow fell heavily. It was fun and the lake was breathtaking, if you went prepared, especially when you hike around this time. The top is cover in snow so we decided not going up. Can’t wait to come back in the summer to see the double lakes!

Completed this trail on 9/17/19, a really tremendous hike! Fall colors were starting to pop out, got some great photos. There is a portion of the trail that is exposed and steep which was a challenge for my hiking companion but the lake was a gorgeous reward.

DON'T MISS THE TRAILHEAD! My friend and I were unaware that within 5-10 minutes of starting the hike at the trailhead (small yellow sign that has "Lone Lake Trail" written with pen), the snowmobile/ATV gravel trail curves and continues up whereas the hiking trail subtly veers off. There is a sign, but it is hidden behind some shrubbery. I should've checked my AllTrails app after 15 minutes to see if we were on the right path, which we clearly weren't. Looks like a beautiful hike and I look forward to giving it another shot!

Beautiful trail. It could be a lung burner early in the season, but the end result is worth it.

Really beautiful hike with amazing views. Is pretty steep uphill on the hike in and areas of overgrowth. There are lots of honey bees on the trail overgrowth so may not be idea for people with bee allergies.

We had the lake to ourselves which the dogs loved! lost the trail in the meadow but found it again through all the brush. Quick and straight up hike with little switch backs. We stopped at the lake since Im out of shape :-) and my dogs are older and we needed the rest!

3 stars only because I wasn’t able to make it to the lake. About 1/2 mile from the lake we were greeted by an aggressive bull moose. After he charged at my dog & I, we decided to turn around and come back. During our hasty downhill trek, my hammock fell out of my backpack pocket. So if anyone finds a blue & purple Madera Hammock, ENJOY! We will be returning to try and make it to the lake.

A lot of climbing but so worth it!