Lone Lake Trail

Lone Lake Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mullan, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked this awesome lake for the second time a couple days ago. Lots and lots of snow October 15, 2017. At most we were trudging through 1.5 feet, however the trail was packed down nicely so it wasn't too bad.

I took the camera and drone along on this one and filmed the whole thing. For a better feel for the hike and to get an idea, check it out at https://youtu.be/LkkMSA7CxGI

..Or search Lone Lake on YouTube and it'll be the third one down. I'd appreciate any feedback so I can make these better.

Like/subscribe. YouTube channel: DanGoodLife.

This trail isn't very clearly marked. It definitely isn't for small children or anyone with knee problems. The brush grows right over the trail so a good portion of it is very overgrown. Would be a very wet hike in the rain. Lake is pretty, camp site leaves a lot to be desired. No real level spots to put a tent. Would be perfect for hammock tenting. We did this hike in July, it was nice and warm, water was perfect for swimming. Lots of gnats and mosquitoes. Save yourself 3/4 of a mile and drive up the gravel road just past the Stevens lake Trail head. You can drive right up to the trail. There's room for a few cars to park and still turn around.

Nice day hike and very accessible. We had the lake to ourselves.

Hiked the trail in a summer rainstorm. The first part of the trail is definitely uphill,but after that it's not too bad. Seen a momma moose and her baby on the trail. Hiked to the upper sanctuary it's not as nice as the lake and the trail was hard to find, just follow the creek.

Beautiful hike and the lake is a treasure ending! Read previous comments. Very helpful about directions, especially about the rocky road taking sharp turn to right...don't do it...go straight ahead to what looks like overgrown path. Still mountain run off, beautiful wild flowers, huckleberries and raspberries.

Great views. Nice uphill hike to a beautiful lake.

One of the best trails I've hiked. I would highly recommend it.

A scenic hike; moderate to steep trail that is camouflaged in areas by the lush plant life but be patient and you will find your way. Plenty of wild flowers in bloom today.

The lake and surrounding mountain tops, forest and thick, green under growth combine for a picturesque setting that makes this trek worth your time. I spent another fantastic day on this trail with my MM.

Steep climb, but completely worth it!

My husband and I hiked this trail today. It was definitely a challenging trek up to the lake, but what the trail lacks in gentle grade, it makes up with beautiful views along the way. The view at the top was definitely worth the sweat.

We hiked this out and back trail June 25. This is a sunny hike for the most part. There are shaded areas but most of the time you are in the sun.

The trail is on the right, marked 138 on a tree (in the distance up high on the right), just after three small cairns indicating lone lake trail.

This spot is after you've walked a stony road about 1/3 mile from parking lot.

The road to trailhead is one lane. Good enough for most cars to drive.

The trail has a lot of stony sections that are no fun at all. I think it is old stream bed in parts. Our small dog did fine but we carried him in spots.

As others have said it is beautiful. The waterfall was spectacular, and there were smaller falls and spills as well. Flowers are plentiful,so many varieties!

We are 53 and 56 years old, fairly fit and hike often. This one hurt our joints! Poles recommended for older folks.

We made it to the lake, little snow now.

It was a great hike. Definitely steep and you have to traverse a rock slide. Good for a day hike or a short backpack overnight. Not for little ones under 8 unless you are an avid hiker and they are used to all sorts of terrain. We will be back!

Four of us headed to this trail yesterday morning. We had read the reviews so finding the trailhead was easy. The trail was well maintained and easy to follow. It is pretty much straight uphill until it flattens out as you approach the lake. We were not disappointed upon our arrival, it is a beautiful lake. Yesterday was very windy though but comfortable. There is a large firepit on the north side of the lake which we utilized for barbecuing some bratwursts for our lunch. We explored the south side of the lake, and two of pur party went further south to find a small lake that was un-named on the map. They were successful. There had been reports of snow on the trail a week ago that prevented a group from getting to the lake, but the snow patches had melted more and the trail was passable without snowshoes. The flowers were beautiful along the trail, and there were waterfalls roaring throughout the hike. There was only one other person on the lake during the entire time we were there so it was a quiet day on the trail.

This is a wonderful hike! I went with my friend and my dog. We saw several little snakes and a moose. I used the coordinates to find the trailhead. It's up a very Rocky and steep road. I actually stopped about 400 feet from the trail head because I thought for sure I was on the wrong route. We hiked up from my parked car and saw that there's a port-a-potty, picnic table and two trail heads, so we walked back down to my car and drove it up the 400 feet and parked it. Thankfully, there was another man there who had hiked this trail several times and gave us instructions on how to hike it. Take the trail to the right. Someone took black sharpie and wrote "Lone Lake Trail" on the top of the yellow sign, so you'll know you picked the right trail. Once you've hiked up a dirt/gravely trail for a bit it looks like it continues up to the right with a very sharp curve. Do NOT follow this. Keep walking straight. It'll look like a small trail and you'll probably doubt that you took the right path, but keep going this way and you'll see a sign on a tree on the right and some discreet Cairns that mark the trail. From that point on the path is pretty obvious. We unfortunately couldn't make it all the way because there was a bunch of snow on the trail that was on a big slope and we weren't properly outfitted for that type of terrain, so we turned around and headed back. We got about a 3 hour hike in total. It was magnificent! On our way home we stopped in Wallace at the 1313 Pub. The food was great! And then we went to the Wallace Brewery. Delicious! Happy Hiking!!