Little Elk Creek Trail

Little Elk Creek Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Irwin, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a sweetheart. Really nice up at the top! This is perhaps a bit more difficult than the moderate rating. Steep trail in spots and loose rocks make it hazardous in spots. The view is awesome!. About 9 miles in and out.

This was such a beautiful trail! Lots of beautiful scenery. There are signs for bears, so bring your bear spray. It is a wonderful time of year to go!

Beautiful area to hike by creek. Everything was really green.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

little elk creek was dry so the previously mentioned crossings were not an issue. I made a loop of it went up little elk it the headwaters of waterfall canyon then came down sheep creek. Made for a long hike with 3600 feet of elevation but it was pretty. I did have a shuttle otherwise I would have had to climb some more and add a couple more miles. if I was to do it again I would come out palisades creek.

Friday, June 03, 2016

6 Creek crossings not to bad but washed out trail we might try again

Friday, June 03, 2016

cross thro the creek 5 times b4 getting 2 a rock slide area... trail gets lil confusing... it's marked w/ piles of rocks off 2 the rite side... pass another area in the creek hav to circle round 2 the rite keep goin then ya hit a spot where the creek washed out the path bout 20-30ft... the water was mid shin some deeper some more shallow... we turned around where it washed out

Friday, May 06, 2016

Monday, August 10, 2015

We hiked Little Elk Creek Trail on August 9. The scenery was dramatic. We only saw 2 other hikers whom we passed on the way down. We actually turned back after about 45 minutes because we lost the trail and ended up hiking on the dry river bed. I really wish the trail had been marked with somes blazes or signs. We saw only one sign and that was on the way down.

Friday, May 29, 2015