Kyle Creek to Arid Peak

Kyle Creek to Arid Peak is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avery, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

historic site

Arid peak lookout is for rent and is a very nice place to spend the night. it's well stocked with cooking and tools for cutting fire wood. You park at a dead end on what appears to be a safe place for your vehicle over night. under 3 miles to lookout and only 600 or so feet of elevation gain.

so I misunderstood the route, I started at the mouth of kyle creek at the river, its a long climb but a nice hike. I didn't make it to the lookout, I turned around after 3 miles when I realized I still had almost 2 miles more. I didn't plan on a 9.5 mile hike(time and supplies) I will go back more prepared.

Suggest you take the St. Maries-Avery route. Trail head is 16 miles from Avery on very good gravel roads that pass though 3 old train tunnels. Hike in took 1 hour. We had the Lookout during the smokey season so the views were limited but still spectacular. Hike to spring water was 1 hour round trip with Huckleberries to to eat during breaks. Going back up with heavy water in the packs, the steep trail wasn't that bad but plan to do it once!.

We arrived at the trail head toward the end of the day and made our way up the trail. It's a steep climb in places, so we made slow progress. By the time we arrived at the lookout, dusk had fallen and the trail had become difficult to see. Thankfully, we arrived before it got too dark to continue. We had the lookout rented, so we were able to spend the next few nights there.

The views were, as expected, fantastic. The lookout provides a good location to set out on day hikes along multiple trails.