Indian Cliff Trail

Indian Cliff Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Plummer, Idaho that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

There is a fee at Heyburn State Park. 5.00 per vehicle per day, Idaho residents can purchase an Idaho State Passport for 10.00 at DMV and get free day use at all Idaho state parks. Out of state residents pay $40.00 per year and can purchase online or at any state park. These passes also give you a break on camping fees. If you don’t want either there is a self pay station Fees are in effect year round.

Great Hike. Took the kids. Not too busy!

Good hike with awesome views of the lake

Loved the trail. Nice easy hike with some climb to it but not strenuous at all. I look forward to taking my grandkids

Went on a Tuesday and had the trail to myself (besides the whitetail deer I saw). Great spot to hike and take in the view

These passes also give you a break on camping fees.
If you don’t want either there is a self pay station
Fees are in effect year round.

Great winter option for us today! Beautiful saw no one else on the trail would recommend

A good, easy hike. There were a couple elevated areas that made my heart rate spike, but not too much to handle. I could have easily gone again. Pretty views toward the top.

beautiful! long but uneventful along the way. We had a total of 4 of us, 2 adults & 2 12 year old girls. we made it Just fine with a reward of Ice cream in Harrison at the end!

Pretty decent climb for us who are basically couch potatoes! It was gradual with a few steeper parts that we had to stop and rest for a bit. There were a couple of benches placed at strategic resting spots. The top flattens out and it was beautiful. We met two other groups of hikers on Sunday about 10:30. You need to pay for access.

Nice view up top!

Parts of the trail we're a bit overgrown. (June '17)

Fabulous views from at the top. It seems like the climb going counterclockwise is more gradual. Nice and quiet away from the road. There is a nice picnic table at the top so take a snack and enjoy the view.

Gorgeous views from top of the ridge. Trail is well shaded. Elevation gain toward the beginning and then an easy trail from there.

Beautiful views!

This was an easy little hike with pretty views of Lake Chatcolet. It took me about an hour. Next time I go camping in Heyburn State Park, I will definitely do it again.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Incredible view at the top. Only passed one other person during our hike. Highly recommend. Not to hard either

Monday, April 03, 2017

Great View on top! Breathe taking! ❤❤❤

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Nice trail, well maintained and great views. Just enough incline to raise your hart rate a bit, but not wear you out.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Great hike with great views of Chatcolet Lake & the St Joe River!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Good short hike. peaceful view at the top!

Monday, June 20, 2016

Great trail for those of us who are slightly out of shape! =P

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Loved it!!! very beautiful views. The hike felt great. I will go back and do it again

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Pretty simple hike. It was great for our group of 5. I would suggest it for families and other groups as well. Nice climbs, nice views.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Great hike with great views, I would recommend this to anyone who wants a medium elevation climb.

Monday, June 09, 2014

Nice family hike. The trail is easy to follow with pretty mild elevation gains and wanders mostly through light timber with a few small wooden bridge creek crossings. Many good views thanks to old burns and some excellent scenic views over the lake from the top of the cliffs. Great for a simple afternoon hike with kids.

The description says this is an out and back, but that's not really true, as there's only a very short initial section that you repeat, most of the trail is a big loop that circles a ridge with some mild cliffs.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Great hike for the kids. My almost three-year-old and my almost five-year-old did the entire loop with minimal complaining. We went on a cool fall day and the views from the top were beautiful.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Good hike. Very nice view from the top and not hard to reach. It's a great hike to introduce your kids into the outdoors.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Loved this trail. Spent the day here last summer. Beautiful views and only passed 2 other people. A nice place to spend the afternoon. Right off the road from the Trail of the Coeur d 'Alenes. When we were there the parking cost $5.00, don't know if that has changed at all. Worth the money, that was for sure.

Monday, June 06, 2011

We started from the parking lot at the bottom of the hill. The trails are marked and easy to find. The trail is well groomed and has good views. The trail was a loop not a in and out. The only part that was hard was the up, will get you winded fast but was not that bad. I would do this hike with small kids.

Monday, October 25, 2010

This trail, being at Heyburn State Park, was well marked. As we began, at the Visitor Center, the trail meanders among the waterfront, we eventually moved further and further up the mountain. Through the middle of the trail is a beautiful forest feeling, with streams working their way through, during the spring weather (when we went in the fall, the stream was all dried up). Then as you work your way up in elevation, the view becomes more open and more 'dry' feeling. The last leg up to the top, is very steep and quite a workout. The hard work pays off, as you are able to take a look over Chatcolet Lake. It is a beautiful view, in which we stopped and had lunch. Our speed was steady- neither fast or slow and it took about 2 hours to get to the top and a little less to get back. The trail was never hard to see and markings were very good. We saw deer, many birds, and lively squirrels when we went in the spring. This fall, we heard and saw many birds, including a woodpecker that caught our attention for about 5 minutes. We also saw a few squirrels cross our paths and one watched the kids cross a fallen log as he munched on a nut. I included a picture of him, he was so close.
IF YOU BEGIN AT THE VISITOR CENTER - you will have to take a few trails, in order to get to 'Indian Cliffs Trail'
Lakeshore Loop Trail - 1.3 miles
Plummer Creek Trail - .5 miles
Indian Cliffs Trail - 2.6 miles

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Indian Cliff Trail is one of many in Heyburn State Park(the oldest state park in the Pacific Northwest).This trail along with The Plummer Creek trail and the Lakeshore Trail are all connected together and can be easily hiked in about half a day. Some of the different wildflowers you will see along the way are Bluebell,Clarkia,Heartleaf Arnica and Syringa.