Independence Lakes Trail

Independence Lakes Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albion, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was my first backpacking trip in Idaho and the very first for my 6.5 y/o. What a treat!! Well maintained trail, though a few unmarked forks that had us back-tracking on a couple occasions. About 1.5 miles in the trail splits; stay right to take the newer path thru more trees and switch backs. The left takes you along the older route aka Ranger Trail up a steeper and exposed ridge. Once up to the first small lake, another half-mile is the largest of the four and where we spent the night. Frigid snow fed lake is great to cool off in. Lots of places to setup camp or continue to the other Lakes if you wish. Beautiful sunrise with the high granite backdrop on the lake.

Great hike wonderful views it wasn't busy when we were there. The climb was constant till the fourth lake but worth it.

Relatively easy trail. More like 1300 feet ascent than the 2000+ that AllTrails reports it at. 4.7 miles in to the end of the 3rd lake. Fairly crowded. Saw probably 35 people camping up there between the 3 lakes. Spend two nights, gorgeous views and excellent fishing.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

It was a fun hike but the last part was a killer. Mostly shaded which was really nice. Great day.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

It was a beautiful, and a well traveled trail. The last leg up to the first lake proved to be the most difficult part of the hike for me, but it was worth it! Great hike. I hope to go back and see the additional lakes soon!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Friday, April 15, 2016

Beautiful trail! We hiked in fishing gear and fished the first lake. The trail was mostly shaded. I am a pretty active person and had no trouble on the trail. We took some smaller children, they had to take a few brakes but made it there and back.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

This hike is beautiful! I wouldn't say it is easy, as it does offer a good workout and is a good distance. I highly recommend this hike to all! Family friendly and something worth seeing.

Monday, August 17, 2015

great hike, beautiful scenery... This was me and my wife's third hike as we are fairly new to the sport and still testing the waters. we had a great time but there was allot of traffic. I would recommend packing fairly light and carrying plenty of water. we only made it to two of the lakes but we will definitely be returning again...

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Beautiful area. Not too close to Albion, Idaho, located between Oakley and Elba. Please correct your information.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

I did this hike as a backpacking trip when I was in Boy Scouts. It was a good hike and a fun camping experience.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Excellent hike. Is as explained in other reviews. I did an overnighter. Very pleasant except for Boy Scouts camping across the lake. Only made it to the third lake as I didn't get to the trailhead till 6:30 pm and wanted to set up camp before it got to dark. Was a bit confused when trying to find the trailhead but if you follow independence lakes road it will dead end at the trail head approx. 1/2 mile past the livestock loading area. The trail head has a parking lot and a toilet, cross the creek, walk through the camp sites and you will find the trail. Like I said its an excellent hike but only gave it 4 stars due to a lot of traffic. ( I like my solitude) Will definetly do it again. Maybe two nights next time.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Excellent short hike to a couple small alpine lakes, difficulty is moderate as most elevation gain is a half mile from the lake (1200 feet elevation gain) and the elevation is around 9000 feet. Trailhead is easily found on the other side of the boy scout camp off the Oakley-Elba basin road to a right turn (south) on Independence Lakes road to the boy Scout Camp. First mile of the hike skirts around a 2000" ridge giving excellent views of Cassia Creek drainage and the Elba basin gaining only minimal elevation until the trail splits with the ranger trail. At this time the Independence Lake trail enters a small evergreen pocket and climbs steadily (about 1000 feet) until you reach the first of the lakes. A second trail about a hundred yards from the first Independence Lakes trail goes straight up the mountain but do not recommend this way as it is a extreme scramble up the steep talus rocks pulling yourself up using the scrub brush you are forced to step over. Excellent camping at both the lakes and in the evergreen pocket. Good fishing depending on the time of the year as early spring seems to be the best fishing in the second lake have had hardly no luck in the other smaller lakes as they are shallow enough to may totally freeze during the winter months.