Hyndman Peak is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hailey, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from May until October.

Length12.8 miElevation gain4,950 ftRoute typeOut & back
HikingRunningForestViewsWildflowersWildlifeRockySnow
Description
Waypoints (1)
Facilities
Tips
Getting There

Hyndman Peak is located in the Pioneer Mountain Range in the Sawtooth National Forest. The peak lies on the boundary of Blaine and Custer counties. At 12,009 feet, Hyndman Peak barely makes the cut as an Idaho 12er. Hyndman is the 9th tallest peak in the state, but it receives a lot of attention from peakbaggers because it is considered one of the easier 12ers to summit. Most people climb the peak by its east ridge. It is approximately 2 flat miles on an old jeep trail from the trailhead to the point where you will start hiking the mountain. People sometimes mountain bike this flat section and stash their bikes in the trees while climbing the peak.

There's parking and a toilet at the trail head.

From the trailhead, follow the trail along side Hyndman Creek to the base of Cobb Mountain. Here the trail turns north and leads up a sagebrush covered hill to a small pond next to point 8724. Follow the ridge on the left-hand side of the creek northeasterly up to Hyndman basin. From Hyndman basin, the trail is faint, but just head towards the saddle between Hyndman and Old Hyndman. Once at the saddle, follow the ridge to the top of Hyndman Peak.

At five miles south from Ketchum on Idaho state highway 75 turn east onto East Fork Road. Drive 4.5 miles east and you will come to an old mining town called Triumph. 1 mile past Triumph turn left turn on an unmarked well maintained dirt road. Drive another 4.5 miles to the trailhead at the North Fork of Hyndman Creek.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (52)
Photos (108)
Recordings (40)
Completed (100)
Larry Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 7, 2020
View Larry's Recording
Sam Milewsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Sam's Recording
Denver Lloyd
View Denver's Recording
Rochelle Sorenson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020

The hike from TH to Sundance Lake (5 miles) is a distinct path with access to water most of the way. *Note* There are plenty of camping spots on the way to the lake (mile 0.1, 3, 4, and 5) which is a good option since the parking area at the TH was packed full of campers. From Sundance Lake there are cairns guiding you up the saddle between Old Hyndman and Hyndman Peak. Expect the final 1.5 mile ascent to take between 2-3 hours. It is a tough climb but absolutely worth it! (There were a few people we saw that turned around because it was too challenging) The peak has a register with 2 peak flags...oh yeah, and spectacular views! I descended by heading "straight down" which cut ½ mile off the return trip. There's even a patch of green with flowing water.

Eric Nutsch
View Eric's Recording
Logan B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

trail was good, hiked into Sundance Lake, got there in the dark and camped. I started hiking about 515 am, followed the path as far as I could see got to the rocks and just started climbing up, made it up there just in time for an amazing sunrise! I came back down the face towards the other smaller lake and it got sketchy a few times, very steep.

Corey Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
Hiking

A good most of the day hike. About 11hrs from the trail head to the peak and back. About 1.5hrs of breaks and peak time in that. 2hrs from the saddle to the peak, and about 1.5hrs down, taking it easy.

Danielle Boyle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020

There's a Hyndman Peak flag in the register box at the peak and the N is falling off. We taped it but I'm sure it won't last so if a kind hike would bring up some glue or needle & thread I'm sure that would be appreciated by all that follow! :) Trail Report: Although the trail officially ends in the basin, between carins, heard paths and applying some logic it's very manageable to find a route to the top. Absolutely stunning and the group thoroughly enjoyed camping at the final pond in the basin before climbing the peak in the morning to take in the beauty and not rush.

Steve Oswald
HikingGreat!Off trailRockyScrambleWashed out
View Steve's Recording
Malcolm Cox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2020
View Malcolm's Recording
Petya Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
Hiking

The trail disappeared after Sundance lake :) Hiking stops after the lake as well and turns into a fun, loooong and worth it scramble and climb . I am a novice climber so it was quite sketchy and tiring but doable if you take your time and exercise caution . The views on a clear day ..... so darn worth it .

Sean Daggett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2020
View Sean's Recording
Alex Hon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Alex's Recording
Geri Rosenberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I hope you like scree! I camped at Sundance Lake (left the parking lot at 4:30pm) and summited at 6:45am. I’d definitely recommend doing a one-night trip if you can, the climb up the scree was rough but the altitude wasn’t overwhelming having already done the hike 5 miles in. Coming down the scree was... rough. It took a lot longer than I expected. I tried to follow whatever faint trails I could find but they were few and far between. I was thankful for my trekking poles then although I slid constantly and fell a few times. When I finally made it back down to the grass and the trail, I almost kissed the ground! Views were amazing, water was plentiful (I carried 2L max), and there was a decent amount of shade off and on. Highly recommended, but be prepared for the downclimb to wipe you out more than the climb up!

PETE H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingBlowdownGreat!Off trailRockyScramble

Beautiful. The summit climb is incredibly dramatic.

That Guy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingScramble

This was my 1st solo hike to anything challenging outside of 40m from Boise. After reading the reviews, I thought this was going to be easy. I also saw you can bike. So I biked the 1st 3 miles in, and assumed it would be easy. The bike in saved my from my silly assumption in the end. It youre wondering what fool would accidentally climb up the face AFTER reading that it wasnt smart - its the same fool that climbed DOWN the face. I did chuckle when I got to the bottom and ppl asked WTF was I thinking. As if i appeared to know wtf i was thinking. Anyway, ya, its beautiful AF the entire walk. Trekking poles are mandatory, and the ppl that dont use them are not human and must have bionic knees. When I reached my bike, sitting and riding down the last 3 miles was a feeling only topped by the birth of 1 of my three kids. hahah- kidding. It felt amazing to feel the cool breeze while the blood flowed back into my knees, feet and lower back. I was told the scramble is a LOT harder than Borah. And, Borah is next for me, so we'll see. If anyone see a super slow walker on the trails, its me. Say hi!

Trent Essex
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Summited 7:30am 7/3/20. 3.5hr up, 2hr down. Awesome hike, easy to avoid the little snow left!

Brittany Roper
HikingRockyScramble

Summited on 7/3/2020. Beautiful hike with lush plants and aspens along the way. We started out with beautiful weather but as we approached the saddle between Hyndman and Old Hyndman, a storm began to roll in. We continued to ascend since it looked fast moving and at worst, some rain showers. The mountain forecast predicted a light shower in the evening but it moved in around noon. As we went up the ridge line from the saddle towards the summit, the storm rolled in and static began to fill the air around us. The rocks were buzzing, the metal on the top of my trucker hat was giving me a shock and the base of our trekking poles were shocking us. We ditched the poles and descended a little ways until the static was gone. Minutes later, the snow pelts stopped and the sky opened up to blue skies and sunshine. We delayed summiting for a bit to ensure it had passed and sure enough, it did. We collected our poles and we summited with clear blue skies. The scramble up and down is no joke but watch your step and you’ll be fine. Craziest summit to date but will be back!

View Brittany's Recording