Hyndman Creek Trail

Hyndman Creek Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hailey, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,686 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Tough trail but worth it. First 2-2.5 miles from trail head is a good warm up. After that the next 5-5.5 miles is pretty much all incline with little flat trail. I thought it was easier to follow the ridge line to get up to the top. It’s a long rocky scramble.

Super trail / gets steep the last mileish. Beautiful wildflowers and peaks and creek. I will go further up next time

Just do it!! The views are amazing. The hike challenging at times. Access to water for the pups! Bring bug spray for the mosquitos and horse flies!

No words except to say this is my pilgrimage trail. <3

Thursday, July 26, 2018

It had the potential to be a really good trip for my daughter and myself, but things went very wrong for us. For starters there were 2 trailheads, one of which was tucked back to the right marked by a worn old wood carved sign. I suspect we picked the wrong trail to the lake. When I had mapped it out it appeared we would have almost unlimited access to the creek, but as we got out there we found access was limited and the hike was more than we bargained for. I ended up getting sick and dehydrated on the final stretch of the hike and we had to stop and sleep on the side of a mountain against a tree to keep us from rolling down, all the while I was evacuating everything in my stomach. The next morning we decided to just make it to the closest source of water (which happened to be down a false trail that leads nowhere which we discovered by accident) and then just hike out of there. Being as weak as I was and still suffering from dehydration at the least I had to make the hard decision to leave behind a large amount of my equipment on that mountain, an act I feel is just wrong as I’m a firm believer in the “leave no trace” policy. If anyone happens to find it you’re more than welcome to make use of it yourself or you can find me on Facebook if you feel it necessary. What’s important to me is that it gets cleaned up. After doing some additional research I found that we ended up on “Pioneer Cabin via Hyndman Creek Trail,” although we never made it there. If you’re going for this trail make sure you find that wood carved sign marked “#166.” Made it back up and met a very nice couple coming back down the trail with all of stuff.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Amazing climb. The hike to the first lake was easy. The last climb to it is real steep. The climb to the upper lake is nice. The climb from the lake to Hyndman and Old Hyndman saddle is steep and rocky. Mid June and the snow fields were soggy and knee deep. The climb to the peak from the saddle took 1hour 45 minutes. The view is worth the work! The hike down you will remind you of the steepness.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Beautiful gradual climb. Intensity grows towards the end of the trail. Great sunrise hike

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Amazing views

Monday, September 18, 2017

Amazing hike! Beautiful the whole way up to the meadow and it starts with a nice creek setting. Two parts up were trying, the final stretch an absolute beast but so worth it. We want to go back and make a weekend of it and ascend hyndman peak.

Monday, September 04, 2017

incredible trail. Only went to the base of the mountain. took us around 3 hours but we were ill prepared. be warned, there is a pretty massive climb towards the end. I would say just over a quarter mile of steep, sandy uphill. Approx 65 degree incline, pretty steep. This totally killed us. The whole hike is uphill nonstop, be prepared! but totally worth it. The view looking up at the peaks was amazing. vast fields and a quaint little creek. 10/10 would recommend, just be warned, I would rate this as a fairly hard climb.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This trail into Hyndman Basin is pretty easy. There is one kinda rough part but as long as you don't get lost it is very pretty and fairly easy. Also, there is no leash law. But in September be careful because the sheep go through there and there are herding dogs that can attack.

Thursday, September 28, 2017