Hyndman Creek Trail is a 10 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hailey, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, bird watching, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length10.0 miElevation gain2,775 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashBackpackingHikingWalkingBird watchingRiverViewsWaterfallwild-flowers
Waypoints (1)
Photos (90)
Recordings (39)
Completed (115)
Carlo Medina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 7, 2020
Hiking

Good but got snow at top.

View Carlo's Recording
Armando Bernal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 1, 2020
HikingGreat!

So beautiful, took about 16 total miles and was worth every one. Started at 5am took our time and came back down at 430pm.

Alison Liaboe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Great trail - we deviated to Big Basin and we’re not disappointed with the wildflowers and views.

View Alison's Recording
Alaina Paglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingRocky

I started out just a bit too late so it was pretty hot when I started my hike. Because it was getting hot and I didn’t have my hiking polls I decided not to go too far up the the start of the steeper ascent. There are a lot of gravel-ish type rocks on the ascent and I just kept slipping and sliding. Just didn’t feel safe and I was super tired from the heat. Best keep it safe and try the summit another day. Still lots of great views of the mountains along the way. Passed some people on horses and mules...not a bad idea! Haha

Ben Enders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
View Ben's Recording
Kristoph Lodge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Went up the saddle and up the ridge to the summit. This route def has amazing views the whole way up. On my way down decided to just head down the face. Shaved off about 45 min on the descent. But your legs pay for it. Both up and down it’s just intense boulder hopping. Great hike.

View Kristoph's Recording
KRIS D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2020
Hiking

The lake at the top is basically dry. The alltrails red line does not align with the actual trail when you get to the river and base of the final accent so the mileage is more like 7.4. I don’t think that it is necessarily worth it to go to the top of the hill (to the dry lake), the best views of the valley are about a quarter of the way up the final accent.

View KRIS's Recording
Ben Enders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020
Hiking

Trail is in great shape, easy to follow. if you are new, the trail starts on the right side of the road, turn left at Creek to go to the bridge Dog friendly.

Anita Kratohvil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2020
Hiking

Trail was really good, a lot of scenery all the way to the lake . Beautiful roaring creek. Will do it again for sure.

View Anita's Recording
Lake Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 6, 2020
Walking

This is a great hike. Flat wide lower trail with gentle ascent through forest and meadow areas. Moderate ascent up to beautiful "waterfall" area. Short but very steep ascent to small lake in high alpine meadow. Great views from multiple spots. Just don't go when there is a hail storm like we did!

View Lake's Recording
Nancy Carpenter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2019
Hiking

Super trail / gets steep the last mileish. Beautiful wildflowers and peaks and creek. I will go further up next time

View Nancy's Recording
robyn madaras-kelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2019
HikingBugs

Just do it!! The views are amazing. The hike challenging at times. Access to water for the pups! Bring bug spray for the mosquitos and horse flies!

Jillian Sz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2019

No words except to say this is my pilgrimage trail. <3

Ryker Brady
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2018
Backpacking

It had the potential to be a really good trip for my daughter and myself, but things went very wrong for us. For starters there were 2 trailheads, one of which was tucked back to the right marked by a worn old wood carved sign. I suspect we picked the wrong trail to the lake. When I had mapped it out it appeared we would have almost unlimited access to the creek, but as we got out there we found access was limited and the hike was more than we bargained for. I ended up getting sick and dehydrated on the final stretch of the hike and we had to stop and sleep on the side of a mountain against a tree to keep us from rolling down, all the while I was evacuating everything in my stomach. The next morning we decided to just make it to the closest source of water (which happened to be down a false trail that leads nowhere which we discovered by accident) and then just hike out of there. Being as weak as I was and still suffering from dehydration at the least I had to make the hard decision to leave behind a large amount of my equipment on that mountain, an act I feel is just wrong as I’m a firm believer in the “leave no trace” policy. If anyone happens to find it you’re more than welcome to make use of it yourself or you can find me on Facebook if you feel it necessary. What’s important to me is that it gets cleaned up. After doing some additional research I found that we ended up on “Pioneer Cabin via Hyndman Creek Trail,” although we never made it there. If you’re going for this trail make sure you find that wood carved sign marked “#166.” Made it back up and met a very nice couple coming back down the trail with all of stuff.

Justin Dalton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2018

Amazing climb. The hike to the first lake was easy. The last climb to it is real steep. The climb to the upper lake is nice. The climb from the lake to Hyndman and Old Hyndman saddle is steep and rocky. Mid June and the snow fields were soggy and knee deep. The climb to the peak from the saddle took 1hour 45 minutes. The view is worth the work! The hike down you will remind you of the steepness.

Adam Schulz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2018

Beautiful gradual climb. Intensity grows towards the end of the trail. Great sunrise hike

whitney belnap
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2018

Amazing views

Justin Kurtz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2017
Hiking

Amazing hike! Beautiful the whole way up to the meadow and it starts with a nice creek setting. Two parts up were trying, the final stretch an absolute beast but so worth it. We want to go back and make a weekend of it and ascend hyndman peak.

Max Hampton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2017
Backpacking

incredible trail. Only went to the base of the mountain. took us around 3 hours but we were ill prepared. be warned, there is a pretty massive climb towards the end. I would say just over a quarter mile of steep, sandy uphill. Approx 65 degree incline, pretty steep. This totally killed us. The whole hike is uphill nonstop, be prepared! but totally worth it. The view looking up at the peaks was amazing. vast fields and a quaint little creek. 10/10 would recommend, just be warned, I would rate this as a fairly hard climb.

Alysha Herich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2017
First to Review

This trail into Hyndman Basin is pretty easy. There is one kinda rough part but as long as you don't get lost it is very pretty and fairly easy. Also, there is no leash law. But in September be careful because the sheep go through there and there are herding dogs that can attack.

Krista Felton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 27, 2020
View Krista's Recording
Jocelyn Hickcox
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Jocelyn's Recording
Joe Turmes
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 4, 2020
View Joe's Recording
Robert Mason
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
View Robert's Recording
Tea Gluhak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
View Tea's Recording
Tea Gluhak
View Tea's Recording
Alan Saldich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
View Alan's Recording
Wild Flowers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
View Wild's Recording
Cole Puett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
View Cole's Recording
Brett Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
View Brett's Recording