Hulls Gulch Nature Trail

Hulls Gulch Nature Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boise, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Love this loop. Getting a little overgrown in places, pants may not be a bad idea if temperature allows. Saw one gopher snake today on trail.oh

Great trail for a couple of old ladies looking for a change from flat country. I know from experience that it gets pretty hot up here in the afternoon once summer hits. I’d recommend starting about 7 o’clock in the morning if you want a cool walk.

This was a fun little hike. A bunch of friendly people were on the trail. It was cool weather and I think that made all the difference. With no shade I think it wouldn’t be a fun in the heat of the summer. The loop is worth going to.

Nice trail

This is a fun easy hike with some great distant views of downtown Boise, ad well as several large rock outcroppings and a small waterfall. Saw a large Golden Eagle perched on a post at the trail head, along with a few lizards and 2 Bull Snakes. One of them gave me quite the startle, keep your eye on the trail!

This trail is pure joy! Good for trail running or hiking. Easy to navigate (intuitive and well-marked), beautiful scenery, and few people. The wildflowers were beautiful, and how peaceful to run/hike to the sounds of the creek almost the whole trek. Would absolutely recommend this trail!

Very pretty, make sure you follow the directions and go up to the parking lot at the bottom of upper Hulls Gulch or you’ll have an excruciatingly long hike. Saw a couple rattlers, got lunged at by one in the grass off to the side of the path. Other than that, mostly beetles and lizards.

A really nice trail and don’t miss the loop portion or you’ll miss a nice waterfall. Cool temps in the 50s made for a nice hike and kept the snakes away. Still plenty of run off, so plenty of water to be had. Some really cool rock formations to climb around on and not too much in the way of traffic.

I always love this hike. But, it’s especially beautiful this time of year when the waterfall and creek are flowing. We hiked today and also saw hundreds of sheep in the hills near the waterfall. It was fabulous seeing the sheep and their babies! This trail is posted as a mountain biking trail. But, there were several signs saying no biking. We also pulled 5 ticks off our pup afterwards. We didn’t see any snakes.

Trail was amazing! Got up to the small waterfall on the turn and found ourselves saying “hi” to a fox sitting on the hill. We also got to walk with the large herd of sheep in the gulch. Best part of the wonderful hike with my ASU daughter was the beautiful sounds of creek flowing close to the well kept trail! Thanks to all the volunteers that make the trail top notch for the entire hike.

It's tick season, folks. I completed this trail today with my dog and subsequently pulled 15 ticks off of him afterwards. It's a really pretty trail with an easy incline until the 1 mi loop. The trail runs along the creek the whole time, which my dog loves. There were a few rattlesnakes along the way, but for the most part they kept away.

Beautiful hike. We did read the map wrong and thought we were parked at the parking lot by the loop so we were surprised by the length. I would recommend going in the next few weeks while the flowers are blooming. We saw 3 lizards and a mouse. Also, there is no lake unless it is referring to the long dried up Lake Idaho?

This is an amazing trail to hike in mid to late April on a warm day. The temperature was in the 70’s, sunny and clear skies, with recent rains adding to the snow melt. There was plenty of water and the waterfall at the top had a healthy flow.

Well marked trail. Close to town. Took my two kiddos and their Oma. Easy, not too steep and nice to be outside. The views of the valley are cool. It’s almost April and while chilly, it was still fun and nice to be outside.

loved this trail - went by myself and it was pretty low key, not a ton of people, with beautiful views!

We love this trail with our dogs. We usually do kestrel to lower hulls gulch, red cliffs and back to parking lot. About 7-8 miles. Not too muddy today. Honestly my only 2 complaints is the bags of dog crap everywhere!! Great job picking up your dogs poo, but seriously! Carry it out. Every where you looked was dogs crap bagged up and left on the side of the trail! We have 3 dogs and somehow we manage! And second complaint, we have no problem sharing the trail. We know the etiquette. So many bikers never announced they were behind us or on our left. Just suddenly they were there, pushing you off the trail. No stopping or getting off their bikes. We always take our dogs off to the side and sit and stay when we see them coming as we are also cyclists and know what a pain it is to stop and get off and such. Just announce you’re there like you are supposed to so we can prepare the dogs. Don’t do it when you are right on our backs then roll your eyes because we can’t get them off to the side quick enough. Other than that this is an amazing group of trails!!

A wonderful morning hike, minimal traffic and beautiful view

This trail was great for running and only a minimal amount of traffic! Lots of pups too!

Highly trafficked, but a nice hike.

I absolutely loved this trail! it was gorgeous the whole way and not too steep. Still a good work out with a steady incline! I was afraid there would be snakes because of the tall grass, but I didn't see any.

Excellent hike, very few people on the trail. Single track trail, but this is ped only (no bikes). Views were great, cool boulder piles, trickle of water in the creek below. Perfect weather in late October.

Beautiful autumnal colors! The stream isn't there now, but a small waterfall emerges from the boulders at the top of the loop. GPS took me to the 8th street parking...look for signs saying Hulls Gulch National Recreation Trail.. it's a footpath only (#0). Easy inclines, especially if you do the loop counter clockwise (go to the right). Not much shade so bring lots of water, especially for the doggies (no stream right now)... Trail is marked well, maintained well. Sometimes you'll hear the ATVs on the nearby trail (bummer) but only toward the top.

Relaxing trail, especially on Mondays. Few people with friendly dogs.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Great trail, easy to follow. Not too much steep incline or decline, so the length isn’t so bad. Took us about 3 hours including a couple pauses and a stop to eat. We saw lots of flowers, and many interesting critters (mostly of the bug variety, but also some lizards, small mammals, and a couple of snakes, including a rattler). Most of the trail is along a burbling brook, which is very pleasant sounding, though it’s fairly covered in vegetation, so you don’t see much of the water. When you get to the loop, going right will avoid a steep incline, go left if you’d rather do more incline and avoid a steep decline.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Fun easy hike.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

It is a beautiful trail and best if you start early. There are wonderful flowers blooming all the way and the sound of flowing water makes it relaxing as well as fun. The lower hulls gulch Is very easy hike and to make it a bit fun you can hike up to the top of 8th street trail.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Super fun loop. You forget where you are. Start at parking lot and get 11 miles total.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Easy hike along a stream, very little shade so would recommend eary morning to beat the heat.

Monday, May 28, 2018