Hulls Gulch Nature Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(319)
Hulls Gulch Park

Hulls Gulch Nature Trail is a 10.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boise, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.1 km Elevation Gain: 345 m Route Type: Out & Back

Did part of this trail in April and went back yesterday for the full hike and so glad I did! the middle part of the hike can feel a bit long/boring but it's fairly easy. The part that loops before you head back was cool, different rock features and nice views of the city and foothills. I jogged most of the middle flatter section on the way out both times because it's fairly easy to do so when it's not too busy. There's also some shady spots along the way especially if you go in the morning. I went around 9am on a weekday and it was not crowded at all. Overall enjoyable trail that I would say is on the easier side of moderate.

We absolutely loved this hike. It was the perfect distance and it wasn’t too challenging for me and I’m not in great shape. It took us about 2.5 hours with a few quick stops. It was nice to be able to have our lab off-leash. I loved hearing the creek along the way, and there were some rocks full of lizards kids would love. There were some shady spots along the way, but I definitely recommend early morning.

Beautiful trail!

Love this trail with my dog off leash..... but beware of rattlesnakes. Almost stepped on a large rattlesnake just off the trail on lower hulls gulch today.

Really nice trail and free from dodging bikers. Plenty to see. I’ll definitely do this one again!

Finally. A trail with no bikers. This is a really sweet trail that feels like a real backpacking trail. Lots of cool features to enjoy.

Nice change from our early March hike. Trail was clear of snow. Lots more singing birds, a number of small blooming plants, and the trees are all budding out. The waterfall at the top was more active, but still underwhelming. Trail wasn't particularly crowded when we started at 9:30 ( on a Saturday) but by 11, the return leg was kind of a madhouse.

The trail was clear, the sun was shining. A very lovely hike. A trail the whole time. In the middle of the loop at the end it leads to a small water fall. The views here are endless. Would reccomend going earlier in the day/weekdays because it was pretty heavily trafficked on my way back to my car around 4pm. I was able to complete the hike with moments of just playing around and taking photos in 2 hours 40 min. Good hike for dogs and children. Loads of fun information plaques.

Overall, a great trail with so many picture opportunities. If your dogs are not great with other dogs on the leash, I would not recommend this trail with them. I took mine home and came back. The trail is very narrow, about 3ft. wide. There were tons of dogs roaming around off leash- great trail of your dogs are good with oncoming dogs on the trail in.

This trail system is very well established and is great for kids and adults alike. You won't be alone on the trail but most people are friendly. Lots of educational boards placed along the trail which make for fun reading with kids and a quick break. Hit the tail early in the season to beat the heat of summer!

icy

Nice trail, but expect a lot of mountain bikes. Nonetheless not too crowded and nice views of the snow covered mountains. One uphill section in the shade had mud, snow and small patches of ice, but easy to navigate.

My favorite so far! Running water. Amazing landscape. Signs that tell you about the landscape. Trail clear and easily marked. Loves it!

icy

Best trail I’ve been on in the valley area!

Went on a Tuesday. Had the whole trail to myself except one trail runner that zoomed by towards the end. Even with it being November, it was a beautiful trail. Dogs were able to be off leash and drink from the creek. Will do again in the spring.

Pretty perfect

Trail is in great shape, just don’t expect water falls this time of year. Rattle snakes are out there....

Land of the lizards! They were all over.

Great trail, but no shade and expect bugs to jump on you! The trail is definitely over grown, but I don’t mind that too much. We did see two rattlesnakes down by the creek so be warned!

Great escape from noise pollution. Didn’t see even one other person on the trail. Great opportunity to just stop and listen to nature.