Hulls Gulch Nature Trail

Hulls Gulch Nature Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boise, Idaho that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the first trail in Boise that I’ve ever hiked. I just started hiking recently and I really enjoyed this trail. It has beautiful views of Boise and nice well-maintained trails with good markers and interesting ‘tidbits of information along the way. I don’t believe the ranking is correct as in my opinion it’s not a real hard trail. I would rate it more of a Moderate trail because of the narrowness of the trail the closeness to steep slopes on one side. The only trail I have to compare it with is a trail I did in Colorado Springs (Brodgett Peak) that was a much steeper and had navigate a lot of rock and gravel on the trail. That trail was rated a hard trail on this site.

Great trail and views. Not too busy and enjoyable.

It's a fun trail with a blend of desert and valley scenery. We didn't see a single waterfall along this route or really any running water. There's no reason to classify this trail as hard whatsoever. There are no significant inclines, far less steep than table rock, and the mileage is really not that challenging. The trail is actually fairly well maintained and has many informational postings along the way. It seems like a decent birding trail as there are a fair number of smaller birds. I'd do it again, it's better than most of the desert trails.

Great views and a fun hike. Six bridges to cross.

Such a relaxing trail!

Such an awesome, beautiful hike. Lots of informative landmarks. Tons of wildlife. As a novice hiker I found this trail to be one of the easier in the Valley, but there are some steep dropoffs. Not recommended for kids or pets. Mormon crickets have taken over the foothills

Great challenge. Pretty moderate but the sun adds to its difficulty. I'd say that the loop potion is where it gets its "hard" rating as well as its overall length.

Also I didn't see any lake or waterfall as mentioned in the description. But I did not do the lower Trail.

So far, the upper hulls gulch with the extra two mile loop equaling the 6.3 is by far my favorite trail yet. I would not bring children on this trail. There is poison ivy/oak, some very narrow trail areas with quick drop offs. I also would not bring a dog on this trail because of the poison ivy/oak.
Bring a camera. This trail is beautiful in both may and June. If you want to be up there on your own, Go in the early afternoon on a week day. Do NOT go on a weekend if lots of people bug you. This trail is for pedestrians only. But on the weekends you will hear atv's and such on the other trail for the first mile or so. Enjoy, it is truly worth it. We loved it and got a ton of great photos. Bring a picnic. On the extra loop you will find 1 perfect area for a picnic.

This would have been a 4 or 5 if it wasn't for the ATV noise from trails nearby. Perhaps Sunday mornings are not the best time to go. When it was quiet, it was lovely with the sound of birds, water and wind.

Don't let the hard rating deter you if your a moderate hiker. There were a couple non life threatening challenges, but that's it. We did the loop counterclockwise which was a slower incline, steeper decline. At one point going down, it felt like we were walking on ball bearings. Going the other way would solve this problem.