Headwaters Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(202)
Moscow, Idaho

Headwaters Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moscow, Idaho that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Loop

I hike and mountain bike this trail frequently and love it. I went up on May 1, 2020 and spotted a cougar perched in a tree on the way down. Fish and game were alerted. Be cautious!

This trail is such a gem in Moscow! We have done this twice now - once in fall (unsure of date) and once in spring (May 14, 2020). Both seasons were gorgeous for this hike. No snow to be seen either time. From the parking lot, this is a total of 5.75 miles and took us 3 hours, but that’s with me stopping to take way too many pictures :) It seems to be mostly used by trail runners and mountain bikers, but we enjoy this very much as a hike.

Harder than it seems

The trail is a little bit narrow so it’s a little scary when bikers come whipping around the corner, but overall a really nice hike that’s moderately challenging. On average it takes me about 2 hours to complete.

Beautiful day

I recommend this trail, it’s really easy and has some good views!

Forgot to hit record until about 2/3 the way thru

Saw 4 or 5 deer towards the beginning of the trail

No one here in the early morning on week days!

Great trail! This was the second time doing the loop and was even better this time. We did see two snakes at the end of the loop and we weren’t expecting that! If you are thinking about trying it out I highly recommend!!

I’ve seen a couple deer the last two times I’ve been here so keep a lookout for them!

Nice and sunny out. No need for any extra layers!

icy

Went the full 10 mile loop the other day so I figured I’d try out Headwaters. It was a little muddy in some spots but not too bad anywhere. Hardly any snow on the trail and had no problems with traction. Great hike!

Loved this trail. Went out here for the first time the other day and can’t wait to go again. Mostly wooded with nice sunny patches mixed throughout. The only difficult part was finding where the trailhead began. After parking, it is up the road and the gate to the left.

Really nice trail for hiking. Took our dogs out there and had a great time.

A local bike shop recommend I check this trail out. I had a lot of fun, but this trail will be much better once the snow melts and mud dries out. I put a few ruts in and felt bad doing so, because this is a very well maintained trail.

icy

Ankle deep crunchy snow for much of the path. I didn't continue on to Moose Marbles, but it looks like skiers are having little trouble.

Phone read 4.64m in 1:14:20 with 813ft of gain. I cut a couple of the major switchback and just ran straight up/down the hill (sorry erosion nuts). Cool loop that was snowy the whole way. Would have been super flowy on a mtb in the summer...

It was a pleasant walk/hike. fairly up hill for most of the way, the only struggle was ,though the trails were marked it was hard to find the loop. There are several trails apprently up there. I do want to go back to try a few other trails. There people on bikes and people walking their dogs but it was still quiet and peacful!

Not very well marked. Got a little lost. Otherwise a good easy hike.

The trailhead is a little hard to find, but once you're on the trail, it's pretty nice. Unfortunately no view at the top.

The trail is well marked after you get to the trailhead. Use the map to make sure you’re starting in the right place after you park. This is a beautiful time of the year to do this hike and I definitely recommend getting out there while the fall colors last.