Headwaters Trail

Headwaters Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moscow, Idaho that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It would be really nice if there were trail markers. It's a lovely hike with hills and trees!

Always a laid back trail run. Less confusing to follow once it's been done once or twice to figure out the weird couple of intersections. My experience is that trail runners and bikers share the trail nicely here :) Good vibes!

This is a nice place to enjoy some wooded mountain trails. The surrounding area of Moscow, Idaho is primarily farmland. The trails on Moscow Mountain are relatively near escape to the woods. At present, the woods are lush green, and small streams are flowing among them. The trails are easy to follow in most places, but there are a few intersections where a GPS or good trail map is certainly useful.

Wonderful trail--once you find it! The first time we, like many others, got lost and ended up on an old road heading to Troy--thankfully some locals found us and turned us around!

Second try we found the right trail, and literally almost ran into a moose! Turned right around, attempted to calmly walk away, and headed up the loop and around the other way. Yikes!

Trail is enjoyable, shaded, quiet, and part runs along a creek that leads to a pond, at least in Spring. Quite a bit of climbing.

Sure would help to put up a few signs in key places. I would think this preferable to having people wandering lost on your property.

Follow the TRAIL, not the road.

Park at the parking lot and walk up the road (just short of a mile) to a tree marked with "CB 2." The trail is both on the right and left, depending on whether you want to walk clockwise or counterclockwise (it seems as though most people walk counterclockwise). There was one part of the trail that was particularly confusing (the trail branched in 5 different directions), so it was helpful to open the AllTrails app and locate ourselves on the map. I'd say it's moderately to heavily trafficked, as we ran into 8-10 groups on a Sunday morning, about 50% of them being bicyclists. I really enjoyed the trek, but I sometimes get frustrated by the hiker-biker dynamic where general etiquette rules are not followed (bikers are generally expected to yield to hikers on the trail). Otherwise, we had a beautiful day!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This is a nice trail, but confusing to walk due to lack of signage. There are several places where it forks off and you're left guessing if you've taken the right path or gotten yourself lost. Luckily, when I went out there were enough other users to ask how to head back in the direction of the trail head (mostly cyclists but a few dog walkers too). It feels much longer than 5 miles, so I'm still not sure if I happened to add some trail to the loop -- this area is chock full of interconnected MAMBA trails and their website is the best guide. Very nice walk, but give yourself more time than you think you'll need.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Lovely trail especially with dogs - they can be off leash if they are voice commanded. What isn't mentioned is that to get to the 5.3 mile loop there is a .8 mile trek on a gravel road. That would be fine but if you add the .8 mile RT to the trail head what you really have is a 7 mile hike. I just hiked 2 miles in from where I parked and 2 miles back to the truck but it was beautiful, quiet and serene.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

So I'm not exactly sure how it happened... By staying on the main trail the entire time I ended up having to trespass on private property to get back to my truck.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Loved this trail! Fun and scenic with lots of little hills to hike up.

Friday, April 08, 2016

Great hike!

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Great!

Sunday, April 03, 2016

good morning walk.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Great trail. I arrived at the parking area about 10 am on a sunday. There were a couple cars there and i passed a few more people coming back down. the trail is narrow (1-2 ft) and there was some snow in places, but all easy to get around. The trail is not marked well. I walked up the road from the parking area, pass the gate and their is a small trail on the right about a mile from the parking area. When I neared the top there was a opening with multiple trails as well as a grass road. i followed the skinny trail on the right. There was another intersection farther along in the hike and i again follelowed a skinny trail. Overall great hike!

Friday, March 11, 2016

Amazing

Saturday, September 26, 2015

The parking area is about a mile downhill from the trailhead itself but there's no parking allowed closer so that really can't be helped. It's a little hard to find and there's several places where the trail branches. We ended up taking a wrong turn before we even go to the trailhead and found a stale pond and had to climb over a giant rock to get back to the road. It's a pretty hike though. There's not a viewpoint of the Palouse unless you get off the trail, which I don't recommend. Unfortunately the creek the runs next to the trail in the bottom of the ravine wasn't running but I'm sure that it runs in the spring. It took us almost exactly 2 hours to complete approximately 5 miles including the walk to and from the car at a steady clip and a few water breaks. All around great hike and I would do it again!

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Hiking, and mountain biking (not easy biking). On the wheat fields of the Palouse, Moscow Mountain looks and feels like a mountain! 70 miles of unmarked trails. Join MAMBA for maps and GPS routes. It's all private land, landowners very graciously allowing access. BE RESPECTFUL or we lose this great resource.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Beautiful hike. Quite a welcome contrast to the hikes I'm used to on the other side of the mountains. Wild flowers blooming along both sides of the trail. Saw a couple of wild turkeys. I believe that was a first for me. Lots of small wildlife. The creek you walk along for the first mile or so is very charming. Running under huge rocks and babbling through tree roots. It's like a dreamland... but with skunk cabbage. Certainly recommend checking this one out, though.

Anyone having a hard time following the trail, the correct trail is directly in front of you when you exit the lower portion. Just walk straight across. This worked the two times it was slightly ambiguous. There are signs but they are in pretty poor shape.

Friday, October 10, 2014

This was a cool hike... Once you park, walk up the gravel road and go around the blue gate and continue on the road until you see a post saying CB2, and veer off to the trail on the right. Once on the trail, it's very easy to follow. Narrow trail, I imagine it would be fun for bikers. Dense forestry. Gradual winding upwards hike, then pretty flat and down as you wind around the loop. There was no "climax" to the hike, no real stop and view top, but the whole route was pretty scenic. Think it would be cool in the snow. Level: easy

Friday, March 07, 2014

The terrain was great but the trail is terribly marked. It doesn't seem to loop either. I hiked over five miles before just turning around and going back the way I came in. I am very familiar with the trails in this area otherwise I could have easily been lost. Good luck!