Headwaters Trail

Headwaters Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moscow, Idaho that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Always a laid back trail run. Less confusing to follow once it's been done once or twice to figure out the weird couple of intersections. My experience is that trail runners and bikers share the trail nicely here :) Good vibes!

This is a nice place to enjoy some wooded mountain trails. The surrounding area of Moscow, Idaho is primarily farmland. The trails on Moscow Mountain are relatively near escape to the woods. At present, the woods are lush green, and small streams are flowing among them. The trails are easy to follow in most places, but there are a few intersections where a GPS or good trail map is certainly useful.

Wonderful trail--once you find it! The first time we, like many others, got lost and ended up on an old road heading to Troy--thankfully some locals found us and turned us around!

Second try we found the right trail, and literally almost ran into a moose! Turned right around, attempted to calmly walk away, and headed up the loop and around the other way. Yikes!

Trail is enjoyable, shaded, quiet, and part runs along a creek that leads to a pond, at least in Spring. Quite a bit of climbing.

Sure would help to put up a few signs in key places. I would think this preferable to having people wandering lost on your property.

Follow the TRAIL, not the road.

Park at the parking lot and walk up the road (just short of a mile) to a tree marked with "CB 2." The trail is both on the right and left, depending on whether you want to walk clockwise or counterclockwise (it seems as though most people walk counterclockwise). There was one part of the trail that was particularly confusing (the trail branched in 5 different directions), so it was helpful to open the AllTrails app and locate ourselves on the map. I'd say it's moderately to heavily trafficked, as we ran into 8-10 groups on a Sunday morning, about 50% of them being bicyclists. I really enjoyed the trek, but I sometimes get frustrated by the hiker-biker dynamic where general etiquette rules are not followed (bikers are generally expected to yield to hikers on the trail). Otherwise, we had a beautiful day!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This is a nice trail, but confusing to walk due to lack of signage. There are several places where it forks off and you're left guessing if you've taken the right path or gotten yourself lost. Luckily, when I went out there were enough other users to ask how to head back in the direction of the trail head (mostly cyclists but a few dog walkers too). It feels much longer than 5 miles, so I'm still not sure if I happened to add some trail to the loop -- this area is chock full of interconnected MAMBA trails and their website is the best guide. Very nice walk, but give yourself more time than you think you'll need.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Lovely trail especially with dogs - they can be off leash if they are voice commanded. What isn't mentioned is that to get to the 5.3 mile loop there is a .8 mile trek on a gravel road. That would be fine but if you add the .8 mile RT to the trail head what you really have is a 7 mile hike. I just hiked 2 miles in from where I parked and 2 miles back to the truck but it was beautiful, quiet and serene.

Friday, June 03, 2016

Saturday, May 28, 2016

So I'm not exactly sure how it happened... By staying on the main trail the entire time I ended up having to trespass on private property to get back to my truck.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Friday, April 22, 2016

Loved this trail! Fun and scenic with lots of little hills to hike up.

Saturday, April 09, 2016