Harrison Lake Trail

Harrison Lake Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandpoint, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,437 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail was covered in snow up to 18” in some areas. Micro spikes would have been helpful. Regardless, the lake is beautiful and scenic. Looking forward to doing this again maybe when there’s no snow.

Made the trek to Harrison Lake today with the family. Beautiful views along the trail and well marked. Lake was stunning and a must see for anyone. Small fish in the lake and fun to catch. Plan for the weather and your experience will be a wonderful memory. :)

I highly recommend this trail. My 4, 6 and 10 year old kids did complete the hike with us. Steep and rocky in some areas towards the top. The lake is gorgeous!

Beautiful hike! We backpacked in on Saturday morning & stayed the night at the lake. There are several nice spots to put tents and the bear proof container that’s there was great to use so we didn’t have to hassle with hanging our food. Great place to bring a hammock! The fish were jumping like crazy but we didn’t bring poles. Bugs were very minimal. Saw fresh bear scat on the trail heading up but never actually saw any bears. If you are looking for a short hike into a mountain lake that’s fairly easy I would recommend this hike! Throw in a small inflatable swim ring & float the lake! ⛰♥️

Great trail not to difficult. The trail is well maintained, a little rocky but nothing to strenuous. The road up to the trail is well groomed; can easily take a car up and be fine. Gorgeous day, I saw a couple people camping but didn’t pass anyone on the trail. Would definitely recommend this trail.

We did a day trip on Labor Day. Nice hike on well maintaned trail. The lake itself is stunning. We thought this was a moderately easy hike. 1 hour hike to the lake at steady pace. Saw lots of families. Somewhat limited parking.

Worth the hike! Next time I will be camping for sure!

Finally got the opportunity to take this hike with my husband and our Deerhead Chihuahua, Mr. Bentley! We made it up and back on this beautiful afternoon today. A bit rocky in areas but not bad at all. Lake is around 6,400 feet and we were glad we brought light jackets as the wind picked up and was cool coming off the lake. Hiked around towards the North side of the lake for even better pics of peaks and lake. We'll definitely be back this Fall for a late season hike! May even adventure up higher!

Great hike with rewarding views. The first 2 miles are definitely doable uphill the entire way with a few flats, and the last .5 mile is a rocky scramble to the top. Absolutely gorgeous hike with great spots to camp around the lake.

Great little trail. There were quite a few people, which I prefer when hiking in bear country. Definitely worth the drive.

Great moderate hike to a beautiful lake! The trail to Harrison Lake is in great shape and easy to follow. The trail really only gets steep near the lake. The lake itself is absolutely stunning! Lots of campsites around the lake. We went on a Sunday so there were still a few folks camping. The road to the trailhead is just fine as my little Focus made it just fine!

Beautiful lake and surrounding mountains. great view of the valley in. well marked and hiked trail

I did this on a Sunday morning and when I got to the TH there were several vehicles there. Turns out that Harrison Lake is a very popular camping spot probably because even cars can make it to the trailhead unlike many other hikes in Idaho. The trail was in excellent shape and I didn't think it was too hard except for near the end when steepness increased while walking on granite slabs. There are many camp sites at the lake and also a maze of paths. I had trouble finding the trail out when I was done exploring. I did go part way up towards Harrison Peak which is hook-like but turned around after finding the going a little bit risky. I was alone and no cell service there so I took no chances. The scenery is awesome even along various parts of the trail. I noticed a bear resistant container when I got to the lake but no pit toilet which could be concerning seeing how many campers use that area. One other thing that'd be helpful are cairns along the stretches of trail that are on solid rock. Overall a very nice and not too difficult hike.

Loved this lake! Amazing view. Hiked in with a group of scouts and had a great time. Did a scramble up above the lake to the “castle” and had unreal views of the surrounding valleys all the way to Priest Lake.

I recommend this hike if you are in shape for elevations. People who may not be used to the elevation; such as someone who lives at sea level, may find it tough. A steep start that has one or two level spots. Most of the trail it UP, and I mean UP! I checked my elevation one time before hitting the granite faces and it was around 5600 el. I forgot to check at the lake but if I had to make a guess, maybe about 6000. There are some amazing views here. Be safe and take bear spray or a weapon. This is in Grizzly country and you will see a sign declaring that fact on your way up. Most of the groups I encountered had one or two weapons (open carry), I carried , with permit, concealed.

Great hike for all skill levels, gradual up hill the entire way. I took my 4 and 6 year old on an overnight trip here. They had no problems with the hike up or down. Lots of creek crossings along the way up so plenty of water to not have to pack a bunch. The lake is beautiful with lots of camp sites either right at the end of the trail or a few around the lake. Good fishing. I definitely recommend.

Well maintained road good for 2wd low clearance vehicles. A nice hike with a bit of challenging footwork near the top but we did it with our 9 and 11 year old sons and it was great. We spent two nights at the top. Lots of great little camping spots along the east side of the lake. Only downside in our opinion is an outhouse would make a world of difference. We found much unsightly tp unburied and that’s not cool! There is a bear bin for food though so that’s good. Overall a nice hike for day hiking or backcountry camping.

Beautiful lake, short hike, not too challenging of elevation gain even with a heavy overnight pack. Lots of people over the holiday weekend. Some bugs, not too bad, but nice to have bug spray. Did rain overnight for us.

Did this hike with my daughter 6/30/19. Trail is in great shape, pretty mild elevation gain. The lake is amazing. great spot for an overnighter or just to go have lunch.

Great views. No misquotes to speak of and during the week little trail traffic.

This was a great little trail. Hiked 6/23/19. The trail was in pretty good shape. Somewhat steep at a couple spots but it was mostly pretty easy. There are lots of spots with water running across the trail but they were all easy to cross. And the lake itself was gorgeous. It was a cloudy windy day so I'd love to it on a calm sunny day! We went pretty early in the morning and I'm glad we did because we only ran into one couple on the way up but ran into a ton of people on the way down when we were almost back to the trailhead.

Out of the lake access trails that you can hike from this particular Forest Service road, this is actually my least favorite. That being said, the trail was clear and non technical when I did it, albeit there was snow at the lake level on the south side at the base of rock faces. The trail is a relatively gradual gain , with some short rock scramble on the way up plus a fair amount of rock scree by the lake shore, but a fit person could do it easily. Via road, this is further from the hwy than Fault lake or Beehive lake, and I didn't find the lake scenery quite as spectacular as those two lakes. There seems to be a pretty easily scouted route to the mtn ridge above the lake, but I did not attempt to scale it. Pros: Good for mixed ability levels, much shade on route up, fair amount of parking at trail head, trail lacks excessive steep sections Cons: Not as breathtaking as other nearby lakes, long drive , may be crowded

The trail was beautiful. The wildflowers were in bloom and the creek was cascading down from rocky facades. Minimal snow, mud and bugs. Trail was well marked. There's a 30 foot section that requires you to follow the cairnes.

it's a good trail. Right at the top the views are amazing and it's a very beautiful Lake. the trail is fairly Rocky and near the top you have to be aware of which Trail you're on, I lost the trail about a half-mile from the lake. there is still a little bit of snow at the top but even without specialized equipment it was very easy to navigate the snow. I'm in okay physical condition, not great, not bad. It took me a very sweaty hour and a half to get up and an easy hour to get back down. the trail is fairly Steep and has few flat sections.

Hiked with my mom a couple weeks ago. She is 64 and in fantastic shape. It is more of a moderate-hard trail. Towards the top lots of large root steps and then long rocks to climb up. Little snow at the top was no problem. Great hike but minimal views due to thick trees. Overall for people who hike a lot, we agreed it’s more on the “hard” side.

Friday, October 12, 2018

This was my first mountain trail. I probably bit off a little more than I should have as a novice, but I made it. It’s such a beautiful place and I highly recommend. I would think this should be listed as hard though. There are a lot of loose rocks and the trail was pretty hard, even some areas where you have to climb over some boulders. There’s a great view about a half mile down from the top, and the rest of the trail is pretty difficult. The lake at the top is really beautiful, just nestled in the mountain! Overall a great time and a worthwhile challenge.

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Slice of heaven.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Such a fun hike! Beautiful views and well maintained trail. Rocky terrain, uphill the entire climb. 2.5 miles one way.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Just completed a few days ago with a 12-year old and a dog...nice hike. Distance is short, but completely uphill...nearly zero flat portions. Basically walking 2.5 miles uphill to a mountain lake. It was worth it. No need to pack in days worth of water, as the lake itself is crystal clear. Would recommend this to anyone for an overnight hike. Simple down and back. Took 2 hours up, just over an hour down. The single lane dirt road is a lot easier to navigate in a pickup/SUV.