Harrison Lake Trail

Harrison Lake Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandpoint, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lots of snow, come prepared! Beautiful hike.

Beautiful hike!!!

Gorgeous backcountry lake. It is a fairly easy trail with a nice payoff.

Beautiful hike, lots of Little Rock's at beginning of trail watch footing.

First hike ever for my husband & I. Will definitely go back!

Great trail!

All of it was beautiful!

pretty easy nice track with lots of beautiful plants on the way, gets hot on the way up with little shade in the midday sun

Some of the best views I've seen at the top. Well worth the journey!

We added on to this nice lake hike and trekked up to Harrison Peak thats way I give it a five the view down to the lake was awesome but not for the beginner or one that does not like heights :)

Moderate hike with great views of the upper alpine. Trail is good , watch for loose rocks on trail. No bears sighted. Bells and spray recommended.

Amazing hike with spectacular views! Lots of steep incline that is not good for beginners. The lake is beautiful and well worth every mile. Did not come in contact with bears but better safe then sorry!

This is a fantastic hike, with views from beginning to end. The cooler temperature up high was a pleasant break from the scorching temperatures in the valleys of North Idaho. The views of the lake and the mountain peaks above, are well worth the trip to this wonderful trail.

Just did this today. Great trail to the lake. Great scenery. Scrambled around the south side of the lake and went up to the ridge overlooking the basin which feels Little Harrison lake. Met some guys who said they knew a way from Little Harrison back to the car, it was bushwacking hell. The only reasonable way out of Little Harrison is..,,,, there isn't one. It's a pretty lake but so what. Skip it. I'll try to post a picture here for your enjoyment. If you're nuts enough to go there, exit over the high ridge leading to Beehive lake then from the lake take the trail out. Have fun

This is a great hike. A lot of people camp here. The mountain lake is spectacular! It's a bit of a drive up a 9 mile long dirt road but worth the trip! The hike is only 3 miles each way, you get over 1,500 ft of elevation so it's a decent trade off. Be careful of a few things, rain, snow and hail, bears at the lake, and oh did I mention be prepared for any kind of weather! People even fish the lake and pull Rainbow Trout out! I also caution you first time hikers, this route is a bit confusing near the lake as you wind up through the granite boulders and granite field, use the markers and use the All Trails Pro downloaded map! It may be worth the $2.50 a month to not get lost! Enjoy the hike, backpack trip, camping and fishing adventures! :-P

Pretty steady incline the whole way up but the views and wildflowers are breathtaking and worth it. The lake is a great place to sit and eat lunch. Getting down is almost as tough as getting up because of all the loose rocks. I highly suggest a good pair of hiking boots that are light with incredible traction. Mine saved me from a few falls. I just kept saying to myself how thankful I was I didn't wear my trail runners. Also suggest boots with good ankle support. This was an amazing experience!

This hike is full of breathtaking views. Harrison lake is absolute stunning and worth the drive and hike. All of the snow has melted off of the trail. The trial is easy to follow until you get closer to the top. There are a bunch of big rocks you have to walk up and you lose the trail for a little, but keep going up and you will find the trail again. We did not see any bears. However, it is bear country out there so I would recommend carrying a side arm or at least some bear spray. I would also recommend shoes with good traction and ankle support. We did it in nikes and made it but I wouldn't recommend wearing tennis shoes. Parts of the trail are rocky and there are little streams you have to walk through as well. This is my new favorite hike!

Beautiful hike and definitely worth the drive! There was still quite a bit of snow up there starting at about mile 1 and progressively getting more and more as you go up but manageable. We were able to make it to the lake however at about miles 2, there aren't great marking for the trail so it can get a bit confusing. Luckily we ran into a group that knew where they were going and pointed us in the right direction.!

Beautiful trail. Great views. Good footing. Easy to follow. Continuous moderate uphill for entire length. In mid-June, the road to the trailhead was mostly very good except for the last 0.7 miles which still was snowcovered. One Subaru driver who tried to get through ended up in the ditch and had to call for a tow. We were able to hike the trail 1.7 miles before hitting heavy snow. It was pretty east to walk on it for another 0.3 miles, but we eventually concluded that it was not going to get better. We picnicked in a beautiful meadow, then turned around. Will be back in the summer to make it to the lake. Trail is marked as open to biking but I certainty would not be able to ride most of it.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The hike up to Harrison lake isn't so much tough as it is time consuming. This is a good trail to make an all day hike or an overnight stay. If you can hike up to the peak above the lake I highly recommend it one of the best views I've ever seen.