Learn more

Evans Landing is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Careywood, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 4.0 mi Elevation gain 1,135 ft Route type Out & Back
Dog friendly Camping Fishing Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Beach Lake Views Wildlife Blowdown
Waypoints (1)

Photos (164)
Recordings (88)
Completed (275)
Phillip Prather
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2020

Sweet

View Phillip's Recording
Y Collette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

If you are used to hiking, this is an Easy one. I felt ”incline” coming back but going to the lake was really easy but narrow paths for most of the part. once you are out of the “forestry” part, you will see the lake Pend Oreille! It was such an amazing view!!! It was very dusty due to the dryness, and some parts were a little rocky. I would recommend wearing a trail or hiking shoes. (the only tricky part was right before you get down to the shore) *No signs at the trailhead but the entrance is right by the parking lot (there is a sign where you turn to get to the parking. Trail 64) * No bathrooms anywhere * a picnic table at the shore * No water but there is the lake lol If you are going there to swim, you wanna get there a little earlier to get the spot for yourself since the shore/beach is small. We were very lucky that there were only 2 other groups when we got there. As we were leaving 3,4 groups of people were coming. It was beautiful and peaceful out there!!!

Michael Coll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2020
HikingRockyWashed out

Definitely not moderate. Idyllic shaded trail at the very beginning gives a false sense of what is to come. The trail quickly shows its true nature. 14 inch wide eroding trails that slope toward the sheer drop off down the mountain send you down the steep decent with lovely patches of loose scree to keep you on your toes. An eager pup longing for the water is a great way to experience multiple near death experiences. The last 30-35 feet of this “trail” ends the experience at a near comical degree of decline. But the fun is only half over. That lovely scree and loose dirt goat path now makes for fun foot placement on your way back up. Dodging huge parties of kid and dog families while you sweat ices the cake nicely. If you have any knee, ankle, or back issue, avoid this trail like it will literally give you Bubonic plague as a parting gift.

Tonya OLeary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
HikingGreat!

We took this trail with our three daughters aged 12, 9, and 6. We did pack plenty of water and wore our hiking boots. It was beautiful and we mostly had the beach to ourselves all afternoon. We passed two groups coming out when we came down and no one else came. There are some picnic tables and fire pits at the bottom when you get down to the shore. I highly recommend this hike.

Lindsey Westwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingGreat!

There’s a sign at beginning of trail head that says WARNING: mountain lion sighting in September, attacked dog. I assume this was September of 2019 as it was beginning of august when I did this trail. One of my favorite hikes I’ve done though! Narrow trail surrounded by lush green forest with amazing lake views all the way down to the water. Steep at times, would not recommend taking a stroller on this hike.

Katherine Hoblitt
HikingGreat!

Absolutely gorgeous! We met the trail husky who was super sweet. Great mix of terrain. Would rate the way down to the lake easy, back up moderate. My watch logged 5.25 miles total. Definitely would recommend.

Kali Curlee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great trail with proper hiking boots. Also, would be good for trail running in some parts. Take sandals, snacks and swimsuits. There’s a picnic table at the end of the trail. Not many people for a Saturday. I loved this hike.

Samuel Jahnke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
CampingOver grownRocky
View Samuel's Recording
Haley Popovic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful! Wildflowers lined the trail, the lake was the perfect temperature and so clear. The hike back up isn’t that hard, just uphill.

View Haley's Recording
Christy Lunceford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020

extreme descent and climbs. The hike is short and difficult. The lake made it a lot better. Bring twice as much water as you think you need and really good footwear. it's short, but tougher than you think. A misstep at the bottom can result in a nasty fall. luckily its fairly crowded as it's also a boat destination.

Genevieve Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingRocky

Great there-and-back hike with a lunch break and swim at the halfway point! All down hill with some slippery rock slides. The climb on the way back was just the right amount of challenge for us though. Maybe it was the beautiful view and dip in the lake that refreshed us!

Ben A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

Very steep to the shore, overgrown trail up top. pretty view!

View Ben's Recording
Elizabeth Strube
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingRocky

Beautiful trail, quite a workout with a baby on board. Very steep descent to reach the beach, which is very rocky, so much so that I didn't feel comfortable throwing a ball for my dog.

Jen Newton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Great summer hike! Good mix of sun and shade with beautiful views of the lake. Footing was easy except for a few steep and rocky spots, though I could see it being tough in the spring. Next time we’ll leave early and make a day of it! There’s plenty of rocky beach to hang out on. Hardest part of the hike is the 1,000 foot ascent back to the trailhead but our 10-year-old did it without much trouble. Took about 2.5 hours including a 30-40 stop at the bottom. High recommend!

Jeremy Endlish
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

Really nice trail on a summer day. No issues finding the trailhead as it is marked on your way in. The trail itself is narrow and you are frequently exposed to the sun but at the same time you get amazing lake views. Once we got to the actual landing, we were disappointed to find that boaters had taken up the entire beach but we were able to find another secluded spot—hence the 4 star rating. Berries and wildflowers are prolific along the trail which our kids loved (6 and 7 y/o). Maiden Rock has a nicer beach and is less crowded, but is quite steep with no views until the end.

Megan Brockett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike! We went mid-July and the weather was perfect. The water is crystal clear and perfect for swimming, though it was a bit chilly. We carried in towels and swim suits, but I wish we had packed a larger picnic as well. The hike out was very difficult, 2+ miles all up hill. I would not recommend for complete beginners, and make sure you are prepared. Wear good hiking boots/shoes, I fell and messed up my knee pretty good in my regular sneakers. Well worth it though!

Ashley Hammond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Gorgeous views! Hike was relatively easy going down and back up from the beach. Brought our dogs and they loved the water! Next time I would certainly enjoy bringing a swimsuit myself as the water wasn’t too cold.

Evan Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

I may be a bit biased on this hike. But I can confidently say this, it has the best views of the lake I’ve ever seen and the hike is relatively mellow. If you’re semi-active you can totally do this. Alsooo, there’s an amazing camp site on the waters edge.

Baylee Oulman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Really great trail down to beach, using the directions through the app takes you off course so I recommend using google maps instead! Challenging walk back to the start but worth it after using the lake

Bobby Castro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Bobby's Recording
Suni Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! Beautiful scenery! I plan on doing this one again!

Blake Wardwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020

Well maintained trail with a steady slope down to the lake. Beautiful views with a nice ending at the beach.

Laurie Foutty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
Nature trips

Great trail. Lots of wild flowers. Well taken care of. Great views.

View Laurie's Recording