Learn more

Elk Creek Falls is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Elk River, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 652 feet Route Type: Loop

Well-maintained trail to the tallest waterfall in Idaho. The falls are composed of three separate drops: upper falls, middle falls, and lower falls. Each has a separate spur off the main loop. The spur to upper falls is steep and switchbacked. Middle falls is the highest falls in Idaho, and its spur is short and modestly sloped. The spur to lower falls is long and sloped downhill to its overlook. The trail is well-signed throughout, with lots of benches that make the trail doable for those who otherwise would find it too strenuous.

1 hour ago

Super easy trail to walk with great views of the falls just watch for some fallen trees and sometimes a few bears

perfect. swam at the bottom of upper falls.

Went Father’s Day weekend and it was incredibly busy and full of children running around. Make sure to stop by the town just a couple miles down highway eight and get huckleberry ice cream at the general store

Basically a loop trail. Went to lower falls, hit the middle falls, then upper falls. It was. 2.5 mile loop, with around 900 elevation decline and gain. Roots and rocks are on the trail and incline/decline can be a little steep at some spots. Was a great hike with some amazing views.

It has 3 waterfalls upper falls, middle falls, and lower falls.

Great shady hike with waterfall views! Hike is a loop with spurs off to upper, middle, and lower falls. Total distance 4 miles including spurs to each of the falls overlooks.

It was awesome.

Highly recommend this trail! Beautiful waterfall and super pretty scenery along the way. Pretty mild 4 mile loop to the right but there is another 6mile option to the left you can do after that takes you to the reservoir through some beautiful country. Worth the long drive out here!

Definitely a hike with some steep inclines. The waterfalls are beautiful and it is worth the drive!

So I read the info in this site about the hike and it was accurate in stating that is is well marked so it's easy to find, gps will get you there but it is put on her as a 2 mile loop, that us not entirely true. I started my tracker in the parking lot and after hiking the whole thing it was 3.54 miles long. also though it is a loop, the lower and middle overlooks are branched off of the main trail and an additional 1/4 mile, all in all it is a little step here and there but well maintained and beutiful. You can deffinatly reach the water at the upper falls but it will be a bit of a grade coming back up.

Great trail. Perfect for kids and dogs. We love it here.

Great little afternoon hike for the kids! We started with the lower falls, then middle falls and finally the upper falls last to play in the water. Well marked trails which shared bits of history.

fun and quick trail to do with some good views!

Great trail - well marked and easy to follow. Note: the All Trails app only shows the upper loop that covers the middle and upper falls. Doing all 3 will add at least 1/2 a mile. Recommend doing the lower falls to middle falls to upper falls vs other way around. That way worst of the elevation change is in the first part of your walk. But overall it is not a strenuous hike. Great views along the way

We started from parking lot, to lower, middle and ended with upper with a swim. Overall took us 4 1/2 hours. Hubby said if he would have known he would have just did upper but it wasn't to bad we're just out of shape. I would say with the out and backs probably about 4 miles total (I should have recorded). The vault toilet and tables at parking lot are very clean the trail is very clean. We rested at all the benches and were thankful we had extra snacks and extra water.

Wed Jun 19 2019

I loved this trail! It wasn’t hard at all. Very beautiful, we went early summer and loved it!!

bridge out
Fri Jun 07 2019

this place is awesome!! I got to school at wsu and took a drive out there. we actually camped and then drove to the hike. there are three multiple options and three different water falls to look at. one of the falls allows you to swim and jump off rocks. busy during the summer. but really cool. lots of inclined areas. and parking lot fills up super super fast. I took my dog and she was fine.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Beautiful location with a few different trails to choose from. all of them are relatively short. and all of them display beautiful waterfalls. the upper falls path goes right up to the water where you can swim and wade around when the water is low enough (do not swim in the spring or early summer when the waters are roaring). it's a bit of a drive but it's worth it. be aware that mountain lions have been spotted in the area so it's best to go with another person or group and leave before dusk.

Tue Jun 04 2019

This is a favorite. Nice on a hot day since much of it is shady, and the upper falls is a wonderful place for a swim. I only come on weekdays. I imagine it might be crowded on the weekend. you can climb up above the upper falls but I don't recommend sitting in the little pools up there-- you might end up sitting in a pool of leeches!

Sat Jun 01 2019

It was beautiful hike. the tail was easy and water fall was so beautiful. I'm recommended to time of the year beginning of June you will enjoy all the green and wild flowers so pretty.

Sat May 25 2019

Great hike. Longer than 2 miles but worth it

Tue May 21 2019

Fantastic. Well marked loop trail with short out & backs to overlooks for the upper, lower, and middle falls.

Thu May 16 2019

Trailhead is reachable, hike is snow free. Beautiful.

Sat May 11 2019

This was a great hike. The kids and dogs really enjoyed it. Trail is marked well, with great view.

Tue Jan 15 2019

I gave this one because we could not get the trail because the road leading to the trail is impassable. We got our car stuck about 100 yards into the drive. Thankfully a local gentleman pulled us out. The scenery we did see on the outskirts were beautiful but unless you have snow shoes. we spent some time in Tom's Tavern in town while the car was being pulled out, wonderful people. Don't try to tackle this trail until spring.

Fri Dec 07 2018

Hiked 12/7/2018 a bit of snow on the trail, but not too bad. My husband and I were able to complete the trail in tennis shoes. Didn’t see anyone else on the trail which was nice.

Mon Nov 19 2018

Great little place for a day outing. Mornings and weekdays are best, as even on a Sunday in late September when we visited, there were easily two dozen fellow adventurers here. One person told us that the last time she was here, the parking lot was so crowded that there was nowhere to park! We saw only the middle falls and lower falls, but they were well worth the modest little hike to get to each viewpoint. Signage is excellent on the loop trail and each spur. The vault toilet and picnic benches at the parking area were well maintained. If you arrive when it is busy, odds are that you'll find a pleasant diversion just two miles down the road at Elk River while you wait for the crowds to thin at Elk Creek Falls.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Longer than 2 miles! I recorded 4 the day I did this hike. It was beautiful! I highly recommend this for anyone looking for some waterfalls near Pullman/Moscow. So pretty!

Sat Sep 29 2018