Elk Creek Falls

Elk Creek Falls is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Elk River, Idaho that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We enjoyed the trail with our grandkids, ages 5 and 7, who love this hike. Beautiful falls!

Beautiful views other than the falls, there are three but we somehow missed one. Only disappointment was the trash along the trail.

Probably my favorite family-friendly trail I’ve been on so far. It’s a loop trail with 3 separate out and back trail heads attached to the various water falls. Beautiful scenery, well marked trails and a good mixture of terrain makes for a good little day hike that the kids can handle too but you still feel like you get a decent workout in. Seems like everyone’s reviews are different on the distance itself, but we did the loop and all three out and back trails to the falls, and it mapped out at around 4 miles.

Tried to go a couple of weeks ago but Trail was closed for downed tree cleanup and trail maintenance. Open now and fantastic. Easy hike and fantastic scenery. Beautiful this time of year.

I went May 3 and was the only person on the trail until I was leaving. The falls are raging with the snow runoff. The last 1/2 mile drive to the trailhead was closed so I parked and walked in. I’m not sure why it’s closed unless it has something to do with the logging going on nearby. My Fitbit clocked everything at about 5 miles total. I did all the falls, starting with the lower Falls and worked my way up the loop. There are some inclines, which is why I think it was rated moderate. All the falls were breath taking. The trail is well maintained. A few downed trees here and there and I did meet a little snake on the Upper Falls trail switchbacks down to the water. It’s hard to get pictures that capture the size and beauty of this place. Idaho is so underrated...

Loved this trail! It was beautiful, and my kids 4, and 8 loved it. My 4 year old got a little tired on the way back up hill from the lower fall but we all still had a great time.

I went early spring. The road wasn't maintained to the point of the trailhead, so where it says 2 mile round trip, it ended up being 6 miles for me and there was plenty of snow. So based on when I went, I agree that this would be a moderate hike but if I went in summer, it would probably be easy. There are tons of signs on the trails so it's near impossible to get lost. I definitely plan on coming back when the weather is nicer! I absolutely loved the view from the lower falls!

Me and a couple friends went to elk falls and it was a wonderful experience. We had to hike a mile in from the start of the trail because of snow but it added to the total experience of the hike. the 3 separate waterfalls were very cool and I would highly recommend going.

This is a fantastic little place for a day trip. Go in early spring for roaring water runoff and to cure that case of cabin fever. Just be sure to practice safety first because there is some danger. I don’t agree with the moderate rating. If you’re reasonably active this is a simple area to walk.

Nice easy trail on a good surface. Great photo ops of the Lower and Middle falls particularly. Clear directional signage at junctions. A good walk for "stretching your legs".

great hike. Got to see 3 waterfalls and was able to swim in the upper falls area.

This trail is great for an afternoon hike. About 3 miles round-trip you get to see 3 different waterfalls. Middle falls is actually the tallest waterfall in Idaho. The upper falls had many people swimming in them during this visit, so if it is a warm day wear a swimsuit and enjoy this activity as well!

Thursday, July 28, 2016