East Moscow Mountain

East Moscow Mountain is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moscow, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is on a fire road. There are a couple of turn-offs worth exploring: one of them leads to a little picnic area amongst some old cedar trees, and further on, a secluded 'meadow' of whatever foliage it is that turns a gorgeous orange-red in the fall. Once you reach the summit, you're greeted by this fantastic outcrop of granite. It's fun to climb around and pose for pictures on these friendly old rocks. Below is another 'meadow' of that lovely shrubbery... go there in the fall if you can; the colors are beautiful. Further along the summit is another rock outcrop with a magnificent view of the Palouse. There are a couple trees next to it between which someone has recently hung a swing. It's a little scary, not gonna lie, but so cool!

1 hour ago

Ditto on the trail being all uphill. Totally worth it for the views though. I’ve hiked it in all seasons, and it’s beautiful whenever you go.

Beautiful views! Very dusty, and a lot of bees. There are a couple places where the trail splits, but just stayed on the widest trail and made it to the top no problem. The trail is basically all uphill, but not too steep.

lots of very pretty scenery, the big rocks, sign, and swing were pretty neat and were a good reward for the short hike. Lots of bees, they appeared to be black bumble bees and were all over in the the side stops and at the top. the foliage was very pretty and had a few plants i hadn't seen too often.

This is a gorgeous hike once you reach the top and in a few spots along the trail. It was extremely dusty when we went in early August!!! The dust was so bad, it made me have a coughing fit for a lot of the trip. If you’re sensitive to dust, this is not a great hike for you... at least not during the summer. I imagine it is muddy, rather than dusty in the spring. The views at the top are so worth the trek. Our dog also loved this trail... lots of water stops for her. We only saw one truck, one dirt bike, and one group of hikers while there.

I biked it. Tons of side trails. Steep but glorious.

Smoke wasn't a problem.

lots of fun! kinda bummed there was still a couple feet of snow still towards the top but still fun!

great hike! really dusty, but beautiful!

Beautiful views. A bit dusty and definitely not a trail but a road. Next a early start

LOST ON TRAIL TODAY 6/24/18

My hammock in its stuff sack. Met a hiker at the top who said he saw it on his way up and moved it near one of the gates. Searched for almost four hours, hiked to the top a second time in search of the hiker who moved it--no luck. Please contact me at racheld501@yahoo.com, it is very special and irreplaceable. Can describe in great detail, and its return would mean so much to me.

As for the trail, there is a gruesome incline about midway through--but pushing through it is worth the view at the top. Lots of bees, little shade, but quite wonderful scenery

The easiest way to describe the view from the top is the same way I explained it to some hikers on their way up as I was on my way down. I told them that when they see it, they will simply say, "WOW". Absolutely beautiful views. Everyone should do it at least once.

My favorite hike around the Moscow area. Hiked up there for Mother’s Day. There were only a few patches of snow and mud, but mostly dry. The view of The Palouse in absolutely gorgeous at the top. Well worth the 4 mile hike.

I wasn't able to make it to the top due to the snow. I nice little hike though!

My first time going up the east side of the mountain. This hike was an excellent start to my 2018 hiking season. I am excited to visit it again in late spring and summer without so much snow, although the snow made it a great afternoon work out!

Would have been nice if this ap told me the road to the trail was closed until end of may.

This review is a trek in progress. We scouted it hoping to find a trailhead which, if you're not using a U.S. Geological Survey map or one which shows fire trails and logging roads, is anyone's guess. There was a gate for what appeared to be a turnout for equestrian use to back trailers in and park, and which indicated land use on the premises by university researchers, but another sign just up from this posting presumably by the owners, Bennet Lumber Company, restricted further access except for logging operators. There is a large mix of coniferous species, and evidence of wildlife activity (moose scat). Overlooks were not to be found. Nor was any trail which we'd hoped for. Another day. Another way.

The view and swing at the top are both great. The hike itself is good too, but it's on a gravel road the whole way.

Such a beautiful view and a very photogenic area!! The swing was super cool!

A rather short hike with a fairly nice view.

Petty short hike but well worth it. living in Pullman Washington it's a short drive to get to the hike. most of the hike is on a dirt trail for atv or off-roading. but what makes the hike worth it is the top when you have a nice view over the Palouse. and there is a fun little swing just to make things interesting. I would definitely recommend for people who are local to the area

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Loved this trail! The view is so so worth it.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

The view from the top made it all worth it..breathtaking. There was a bit of snow that we had to navigate...otherwise very nice hike.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Went up there with the pup on a rainy day and it was amazing!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Great hike. Did it this last weekend and a bunch of snow is still up there, which is to be expected. But I do think the next person who goes up there and knows the trail to the east point lookout, should definitely mark it to share with other's! just a thought! Excited to do this hike in the spring time!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

It appears this track has fallen victim to logging activities. :/

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Rainy on the hike up but a great view once we reached the summit.
Didn't follow the red line as charted but found the towers on the summit.

Easy going on the road, with a few off-shoots to check out. Great start to the season. Easy hike with a dog!

Friday, July 31, 2015

One of my favorite places to go in the Palouse area. I've hiked it many times. I'm partial to the east side-- although it's not a nice 'trail' but a dirt road, the view at the top is fantastic. To get there, drive over to Troy and take a left on Big Meadow Rd, then an immediate left onto Randall Flat Rd, and after ~2 miles a right on Tamarack Ln. You'll reach a little parking area and then hike the rest of the way up the road. It's about a 900 ft climb over 2.2 miles to the top.

There are a couple of turn-offs worth exploring: one of them leads to a little picnic area amongst some old cedar trees, and further on, a secluded 'meadow' of whatever foliage it is that turns a gorgeous orange-red in the fall. Once you reach the summit, you're greeted by this fantastic outcrop of granite that I call 'the fort' or 'Weathertop.' It's fun to climb around and pose for pictures on these friendly old rocks. Below is another 'meadow' of that lovely shrubbery... go there in the fall if you can; the colors are beautiful. Further along the summit is another rock outcrop with a magnificent view of the Palouse. There are a couple trees next to it between which someone has recently hung a swing. It's a little scary, not gonna lie, but so cool!

I'm always astounded at how little traffic there is on old Moscow Mountain, being so close to two college towns. My hiking buds and I almost always had the summit to ourselves for the hour or so we hung out at the top. It's so awesome and peaceful. If you're in the area, this is a gem you've got to check out at least once. I'll be darned if you're not charmed into coming back again and again. :)

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lots of trails. Maybe too many. Got lost a little bit trying to find the east point lookout. Would go again to find it. It was very cold and snowy up there