Dry Creek - Shingle Creek Loop

Dry Creek - Shingle Creek Loop is a 13.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boise, Idaho that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,221 feet Route Type: Loop

Did the complete loop, it was just under 14 miles. I did the loop counter clockwise or going up shingle and coming down dry creek. Started hiking about 12:30. The first 4-5 miles was warmer than expected as there is no shade. You hit the tree line around mile 4.5 to 5. At about mile 7 you top out. The views are beautiful just before the half way point as you get a great view of the valley. There are plenty of water crossing with various logs and sticks to walk over. Just make sure you bring your water proof boots.

Great trail to do for a day of hiking. It took me about 4 1/2 hours with a couple stops. The ups are tough but absolutely worth it. The shaded side of the trail is starting to get a bit icy in some parts but still easy enough to cross the water. This trail has all the views and types of vegetation. Great for dogs too as there’s plenty of drinking water available.

Awesome trail! Second time on it and my 14 yr old daughter did it with me this time for some conditioning for hunting season. Trail is actually 14.56 miles not 13.8. Took us 5.5 hours. Cold today but we were layered up and felt great. Beautiful scenery, fall colors, and don’t miss the view from the top!

First time doing this loop and it is definitely one of the best longer loops in the immediate Boise area. took me 5.5 hours and was lucky enough to be up in the evergreens for the first snow of the season! This is a great fall hike as both dry creek and shingle creek have some hardwood trees that change color.

Not really a hard hike, but not easy. Fall colors are starting to come out. Thank God no snakes.

Only had about 4 hours to work with, so went up Dry Creek until about the two-hour mark (well, the 5 mile mark, actually) then turned around. Dry Creek just gets more beautiful the higher you get on it. Today (Sept 29) was wonderful weather for hiking - starting temp around 35 degrees, off-and-on clouds, and max temp around 50.

Awesome hike except for the rattlesnake that I almost stepped on and the bee that stung me...

Transitions from sunny foothills sage/wildflower/deciduous habitat to pine forest. Lots of shady spots and creeks available all along the trail. Only had 4 hours total so didn’t do the entire loop but will finish it soon I’m sure. Definitely a great trail within a very short drive of Boise. Somewhere between moderate and difficult depending on fitness level.

I wouldn’t call this a hard trail nor an easy one. More like a moderate trail with some brief periods of hard uphills that are few and far between. I define hard as having to walk on the balls of my feet while traversing uphill or if I were mountain biking, I would need to walk my bike. Like other reviews, I found the trail to have quite a bit of shade that really helped keep me cool on a hot August day. I think it was 94 degrees. I hiked up to the trail junction of Dry Creek and Shingle Creek and decided to go right/counter clockwise. I started getting into pine trees around 3.75 miles and at about the 4.5 mile point is when I hit my first hard section. At 6 miles there is a false summit but it’s the only one and not bad. It’s a beautiful hike that took me just under 5 hours for the whole loop and probably could have been faster if I had my trekking poles but I’m from Florida on a work trip and didn’t bring them. Both Dry Creek and Shingle Creek still had plenty of water. I brought just over a gallon and drank nearly all of it. If you’re going up in the summer, I recommend bringing a lot of water or some kind of water filtration. You’re really close to the creeks most of the way and you will cross the creeks about 50 times so getting water from the creeks will be easy. Enjoy!

Didn't hike the whole loop. Just a quick 3 miles along the creek with the dog on a hot day. Watch out for rattlesnakes, they're out there.

Did this just as an out-and-back (Dry Creek and Shingle Creek), as I only had three hours to work with. Surprising pretty trail, considering it's in the lower foothills. Most challenging part of the trail was finding parking -- both the lower trailhead and the upper trailhead (shared with the Sweet Connie trailhead) are crazy crowded. First section is some granite rock scrambling, and from then out, just paralleling the creeks. Middle of June, the creeks still had plenty of water, and morning temperatures were quite reasonable. Frankly, unless you do the full Dry Creek / Shingle Creek loop (such that you have to climb out of one drainage and drop into the other), this really an easy / moderate trail -- other than the rock scramble at the beginning, the grade along the creeks is super easy.

Hiked in 4 miles today. Weather was perfect with lots of shady areas. Only saw one snake - right when we were ready to turn around, and it was a rattler! He seemed content to just lay by the side of the trail though. This is a great hike during the early season before it gets too hot!

Watch for rattlesnakes!

The trail was better than we expected. The views, when had, were pretty solid. Walking next to the streams was really nice. There was a lot more shade/vegetation than we expected, but mid summer it’s probably a scorcher. The entire loop took us 6 hours. Keep an eye out for snakes.

It rained most of the time we were out on the trail, but the temperature was just right and it was beautiful out. the vegetation was bright and healthy.

if you go north the first half is brutal with lots of washed out areas of the trail. Also had two rattlesnakes right on the path before you reach the first fork. Keep your eyes open!!

We just did about 35 min in and back out and though we didn't get to the top it was still great! The creek was gorgeous and lovely to listen to the cascading water run as we hiked above it. It was a little disorienting to look all the way down. The trail is very narrow with big rocks to climb over so bring poles or walking sticks of you need to. We slipped a time or two. Our dogs had a blast and there are people running on the trail so please be courteous with your dogs. We loved it and will hopefully be back to finish it!

Beautiful hike, could feel the elevation during the hike up, but wasn’t to bad. Pictures just don’t do this hike justice! Didn’t make it to top, went four up and then turned around. Hopefully next hike we can complete it

Headed up here for a Thursday morning hike and started at 10:30! Didn’t realize it was a loop so we went in and out, which was just as fun! We took our 3 dogs and they had a blast! Lots of water for them to cool down on, so so beautiful!

great!!!! fun out and back when you need a nice, sheltered hike

Thu Oct 25 2018

Awesome trail. Great for dogs as there is water easily accessible throughout most of the trail. Even as an out and back (VS the loop) there is plenty to see, including: Beaver dams, Elk nesting areas, plenty of birds and reptiles as well. After the initial 1/2 mile of somewhat technical terrain it turns to a pretty mellow out and back if you stay on Dry Creek at the fork. Foliage is changing and the time to go is ripe!

Wed Oct 24 2018

Absolutely fabulous hike. There is a lovely creek alongside the trail and provides a wonderful atmosphere. One of the prettiest hikes I’ve been on.

Fri Oct 05 2018

Great hike. Did 10 miles and enjoyed entire walk. Not very busy more bikes then hikers.

Fri Sep 28 2018

Great trail! You can extend it to 19 miles if you start down Bogus Basin Rd by the Corral Trail entrance, go up the left towards Hard Guy and keep on trekking. This trail offered so many changes in scenery, fun areas to cross over creeks/rivers, and a lot of shade once we made it into the trees. It is a more difficult trail if you do the entire loop at one time but there are spots around the loop to offer some shade and resting places. For any people wanting a great change in scenery, a hard work out, and fresh air I highly recommend this loop.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Great trail! Well kept and clean. Not many mountain bikers when I went in the later evening. We only did a portion of the trail since it was getting dark out. Would love to do the whole thing sometime.

Mon Aug 20 2018

I love this trail in the spring and fall! The views from the junction out across the valley are beautiful. The Shingle Creek drainage is quite a bit steeper than Dry Creek, and mountain bikes have worn the trail into a V, so it's a fairly technical downhill run.