City of Rocks Loop

City of Rocks Loop is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Almo, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Great views going up steep side first. Coming down is longer with fewer viewpoints but got see a lot of rock climbers. Nice hike.

So. Many. Cow pies. Despite that there are quite a few beautiful vistas on this loop. There were a lot of climbers and hikers yesterday but my husband and I didn’t come across any other person when we did this loop. It felt like more than 6 miles. I think if we hiked this loop again we would go clockwise. Going counterclockwise on this loop made for a pretty intense hike for the last half. I think the best time to do this hike would either be in early spring or late fall as most of the trail has little shade. We were burning up even though it was mid 70s, overcast, and breezy.

Nice trail at the beginning and end with great viewpoints of rocks and climbers but the middle of the trail is through cow pasture.

Really enjoyed hiking this loop. Great scenery and pretty neat watching the climbers. Only 3 other hikers on a nice April morning, but it did get busy in the parking lot as more people rolled in. Just get there early, or camp nearby as we did. Brought the dogs, they enjoyed it too, despite prickly pears.