Learn more

Caves Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arco, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 75 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19.

fee

Heads up! This trail is currently closed and the caves not accessible. There are a few other hikes/nature walks in Craters of the Moon and it is worth the visit but this one with the good caves is not going to be part of it for a while. Check before going.

This hike is closed because of earthquake aftershocks still happening. We were disappointed not to be able to do the caves today.

Super cool! We loved this hike. Very easy walk, and we dared to go into the lava tubes and were so happy that we did. Surreal views. A really amazing place.

Putting aside the caves themselves, the trail alone is the most visually striking in the park. The main route through Indian Cave isn't terribly strenuous, but you can go off and explore to add some fun and challenge. Headlamp recommended

The best! Paved walkway, since the aa is really sharp. It’s nice that you don’t have to go through the caves if you don’t want to. We walked through the Indian Cave with no problems (13yr old and 4 yr old). Lots of basalt formations to see along the walkway! Definitely recommend!

Nicely paved! Worth the hot walk to the cool caves. We saw Dew drop and Beauty caves which were easy to get into and spacious with decent lighting.

A must see at this park, just for a change in scenery. The trail is well paved and each of the caves is optional. If you are tight on time, make Indian Cave your focus, far longer and taller than the others! Absolutely amazing!

Thu Jun 27 2019

took me longer to crawl through the caves then the entire rest of the park

Tue Jun 25 2019

Very unique. We did Indian Tunnel, but didn’t have time to do the others. :-( Indian Tunnel is navigable during the day with a phone flashlight. Watch footing as some of the lava rock is unstable. Stop at the visitor center for free cave permit. Help stop white nose syndrome!

Sun Jun 23 2019

Very cool and unique! We did the Indian Cave. Watch your footing on loose rocks. The desolation of the lava flow is amazing.

Mon Jun 17 2019

The caves offered some fun opportunities to scramble. The footing is unstable but ok if you take your time. Wear appropriate shoes, boots to help with grip. I was limited some in my access because I had my toddler but the older kids enjoyed.

Mon Jun 10 2019

Caves are so cool, but climb with caution!

Tue May 28 2019

Fun paved trail to 4 different caves. Indian tunnel was my favorite. Easy to get down into and lots to explore.

Thu Oct 18 2018

This trail is really about whats below the surface! You can go into 4 lava tube cave. Indian Tunnel was our favorite. We made a short video of Craters of the Moon if anyone is interested: https://practicalvagabonds.com/visit-craters-of-the-moon/

Tue Sep 25 2018

This trail was fun, we were there in June , the flowers were in bloom every where.

Sun Jun 01 2008

Sooooo neat. This is one my favorite, most memorable places to visit. I want to go back so much, especially now that I'm into photography and painting.