Cathedral Lake via Bighorn Crags Campground

Cathedral Lake via Bighorn Crags Campground is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cobalt, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,326 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Thu Aug 30 2018

I didn't already see a trail to Cathedral Lake marked on here, so I figured I would make one. It's about 4 miles from the Bighorn Crags campground. I don't believe the hike is terribly difficult, but a moderate rating would probably be best. The lake itself is not one the the better lakes in the area - there are usually a lot of mosquitoes and the edges of the lake can be a bit marshy if I remember correctly. I believe there is a small stream running into the lake, as well as plenty of area for tents and camping. You can either side-hill the hike down into the lake, or if you know where the lake is directly north-east from the trail you can head directly down the mountain to the lake, but I believe that path is not marked and is fairly steep. I am going there in 2 days so I will update the review with my findings and some pictures.

Thu Aug 10 2006

This area sports some amazingly clear lakes and fine ridges with a view like none other. In this time of August the mosquito population was quite managable and not very problematic. Fishing was quite fine at the Terrace Lakes and Ship Island Lake which is a must if traveling to that area. A Slight wind picks up in the late afternoon but nothing to fret over. A must see destination for the outdoor entusiest.

Mon Nov 26 2018