Castle Rocks Trail

Castle Rocks Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Almo, Idaho that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 994 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Fun trail in Castle Rocks State Park. Pretty views. Cool rock formations.

Hiked this trail for the 2nd time yesterday 7/20/19. Temps were in the mid 80s and clear skies with very intense sun. The good thing about hiking this trail in the hot summer is that you can duck into the trees to catch some shade and cool off periodically. I used a hydration pack with 2 liters of water and wore a hat, I would definitely recommend that in the summer. I'm also glad I had bug spray. This spring was very cool and wet, so things are green and the bugs are out. I encountered horse flies, smaller flies, and gnats, no mosquitoes (maybe they come out at dusk?). I'm actually glad that I hiked the loop counterclockwise because of the slope of the terrain past the high point. It's nothing terrible but I'd rather descend it than climb it. Going counterclockwise, the 900-ish foot ascent to the high point is pretty steady and gentle the whole time. Instead of following the trail as marked all the way back, I cut off and went to the upper parking lot, then followed the park road down to the Castle Rocks Trailhead/parking lot. Doing this made the hike about 1/2 mile shorter than taking the Castle Rocks Trail proper all the way back. Not a big deal but it was hot, the sun was intense, and I was very low on water so I was ready to get back to the car. The path I took made the hike 5.9 miles.

One of my favorite hikes. Lot of fun climbing on the rocks. Saw small diamondback.

Great trail to take the family on. Easy to follow.

Too much snow in May to complete without a lot of slugging through. First 1.8 miles is nice road suitable for 4x4. Will come back in the summer

Wonderful

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Really great hike. I really enjoyed it. The signs call this Castle Rocks Trail which is different than what Alltrails calls it, just be aware of that. Trail is very well-marked until about 3/4 around the clockwise loop then it gets a little harder to follow. it Loops you unexpectedly to the north before it hits the main trail back to the parking lot. Going this way, it's an extra half mile or so than cutting off to the upper parking lot and then using the road back to the trailhead. the hike is really great, you're walking among really great rock formations the whole time. I would do it again for sure.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Almo, Idaho is home to two magnificent parks with natural rock sculpture gardens. This trail takes you around the rock hoodoo forest of Castle Rocks State Park. I suggest you to download the gpx and load it into your phone before starting the trail as most of Almo and the park has no cell service. While this trail takes you around the perimeter of the rock garden, going in will surely offer another amazing experience of hikes and rock climbing (rock faces). Most of the trail is well marked. From the trailhead, we walked into the rock formations. About 3/4 of the trail is well marked in the counterclockwise direction of the trail. However, once you get to the 3/4 mark, the trail markers seem to guide hikers back into the trail rather than back to the trailhead. Because of this, we ended up going through some of the rock formations, which cut off or down some of the trail. We finished the trail from the further parking lot, walking down the road back to the trailhead parking lot. Though we trekked back via the park road, it seems the actual trail actually also does end through walking on the park road to the trailhead parking lot, but from a different entry point. We are happy with the trail we ended up taking though it was not the expected one. We went on this trek the spring. Going up to the high point, the trail was mostly flat with gradual 900 foot climb. However going down from the high point was a bit harder. The ascent down was steeper in some sections. Some sections were rocky and there were about 5-6 streams to cross, with some muddy sections. We neither got wet or stuck in mud. We did not have any of these obstacles on the way up. Though we saw some bought mountain bikes, and mountain bikers can do this trail, we did not see any on this trail. The way up would probably be easier for the bikers than the way down. The way down also had some ruts or gullys that could be tricky for mountain bikers to go around. I am saying this as a non-mountain biker! :D Note: Alltrails named this trek "Cathedral Rocks Loop." but at the park, trail markers named this trek as "Castle Rocks Trail." Also, somehow my recording stopped several times during the trek, so though our stats state 5.5 miles for about 5 hours, it was actually 6.2 miles in 5 hours. Youtube video: https://youtu.be/fnehj4E-ofc

recorded Castle Rocks Trail