Cabin Creek Trail

Cabin Creek Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ketchum, Idaho that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

This trail is moderate though there are a lot of down trees

A constant uphill climb that ends at a small lake, which my husband and I thought resembled more of a pond. Upon suggestion of the only other two hikers we encountered on the trail, we ventured up further to Twin Lakes, which again were small lakes more like ponds. We commented as we hiked up Cabin Creek Trail the it seemed like an obstacle course and not well maintained. Lots of fallen trees that we either had to hike around or jump across. On the plus side, the wild flowers in the meadows were beautiful and the trail did follow a small stream that had little waterfalls. I would not do this hike again nor recommend it as there are many other hikes in the area that would be much more worth the time & views. Granted we may have been spoiled as the day prior we hiked Iron Creek Trail to Sawtooth Lake which was absolutely breathtaking!

I did not complete this trail due to my partner and I setting a tight timeframe. We traversed about an hour into the hike before turning back. The toughest part of what we did complete of this trail seemed to be the first mile having little real shade, some rocky footing, and some scramble over. The trail did demand elevation gain but it evened out after a more strenuous but not difficult first half mile. The trail follows a nice creek but shade is sporadic midday. The wildflowers are prolific! We started out in early afternoon in July and came back to the trailhead as a mild thunderstorm was brewing east of us. I would/will try this one again! Also, Lake Alturas nearby is a great place to cool off!!

Monday, August 07, 2017