Bud Howard aka Big Tree Trail

Bud Howard aka Big Tree Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderate hike, connecting to Canfield Mtn. trail system This is a nice climb, with views through the trees. This trail connects with the Canfield Mtn trail system. Presently there is only one blowdown, it appears the local horse clubs maintain the trail well. This is also accessed by horseback from Dalton Gardens area.

It's a great trail since it's so close to town. We walked 2.5 miles to the motorcycle trails and then turned back. There are several geocaches along the trail and we will get those next time.

So the trail starts in the middle of the neighborhood... it isn't marked at all. And there are several "y"s in the trail, your guess is as good as mine which way to go. Ended up going 2.5 up and never got to the top so we headed down. Didn't see much but enjoyed the trail walk.

Fun trail, not too busy. Some great views. Overall it was a nice outing

Gorgeous views! Not stroller friendly; but the trail was well taken care of.

What a great trail system.

I wish the views were a bit less covered by trees, but it was still a gorgeous trail!

Big Tree Trail is open for spring business! Aside from a few patches of snow in the shady spots, this trails is in great repair all of the way to the top of Canfield Mountain. Mountain bikers be advised that there are a few trees down across the trail.

My boyfriend, our dog, and I hiked about 2 miles up and then turned around. The trail had compacted snow still and was very slick. Amazing views though! We will be back when it gets a little warmer to finish it!

Peaceful and scenic

Today, the trail was fantastic! I brought snowshoes, but didn't need them. I climbed all of the way to the top with ice cleats on my hiking boots. The snow on the trail has been well packed by snow shoes. I saw an elderly couple with only hiking boots and hiking poles, who seemed to be managing just fine. The snow on the mountain and trees looked magical.

I did this trail today, on a frosty December afternoon. There was about 8 inches of snow on the ground. It was a good workout getting up and back, but manageable. I used hiking poles, and saved myself from several falls. I saw deer near the trail head.