Bud Howard aka Big Tree Trail

Bud Howard aka Big Tree Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderate hike, connecting to Canfield Mtn. trail system This is a nice climb, with views through the trees. This trail connects with the Canfield Mtn trail system. Presently there is only one blowdown, it appears the local horse clubs maintain the trail well. This is also accessed by horseback from Dalton Gardens area.

There are two routes. Switch back that go gradual up or a shorter steeper route. Very nice well maintained trail. You park in a nice high end neighborhood. One of the top 10 near CDA.

This is a pretty good hike and can be challenging. set aside a handful if hours for sure. If you go in winter I highly suggest snow shoes once you get past the big tree if you continue to the peak. Still a wonderful view if you go to the Big tree.

This trail was awesome and a challenge, we attempted to get to the top while kids were in school but we did not succeed as we only have from 12:45-3:20. We talked about coming back every week to keep trying. Thought this would be a fun idea until we had to walk down, I mean slide down, lol, I fell on my butt three times. Yes I was wearing sneakers but even my hubby in his trail boots had a slip. Now i'm a little timid. I will return when I'm shoed for the part:) until then.....

I think I took the wrong turn once I reached the service road, but it was still a decent hike with some limited views of the lake as you climbed

The power was out in Hayden, this morning, so rather than sit and tell myself ghost stories until sunlight, I headed for Big Tree Trail. I came up the mountain at 5:30 am, in the dark. As I write this, I am sitting on the log beneath the big tree. In spite of the wind and rain last night, it is a beautiful morning. There were a few fallen branches across the trail, but I've cleared them. The morning is splendid! I am happy to be alive!

Completed this trail yesterday. Started out morning at 32 degrees. Definitely about 9 miles total. There were a few switch backs, but for the most part steady incline. About 3 miles in the trail tees into a service road. You need to take a hard right before road to a trail marked “D”. You will then have another mile to top. You then need to continue on a short piece to the communication tower. This is where the best views are.Definitely worth the trip.

Never found the "river."

Moderate hike up the north and west side of Canfield with views of Hayden Lake and the Rathdrum Prarie. Well maintained trail, some switchbacks at the start, but it evens out to a gradual incline. We went to the end of the trail and then took the dirt road to the top of Canfield to views of the lake to the South, then back down Trail D to the Bud Howard trail. Total of 7.3 miles. Total hiking time was about 3 hours.

The trail is pretty with a couple of lookouts over the lake. If you want to reach a look out at the end of the trail you have to hike up on a different trail a few more miles. This trial that the tracking shows just ends at a road with options to continue further for the lookout.

Saw some black bear cubs on the trail