**The trail I suggested to AllTrails with the following description is NOT the Freestone Trail but AllTrails placed my suggestion here.** (AllTrails - You are going to get people lost!) Here is my description of Cottonwood Creek to Ridgecrest to Central Ridge to Shane's Loop, about 8 miles total and winding further away from trailheads than the real Freestone Trail: Lovely hike in the cooler seasons. I was very lucky to have an early February day in the mid 50s and a dry trail. See Cottonwood Creek review for info on riparian habitat, flora, and fauna. Follow the Cottonwood Creek Trail to Ridge Crest Trail, winding up and northwestish. Ridge Crest T's up with Central Ridge Trail. I veered west on Central Ridge to meet up with Shane's Loop. This trail can be easily accessed from downtown Boise and within 30 minutes hike I felt like I had left the city for backcountry, high desert wilderness. The Foothills seemed to roll on forever in front of me. I shared the trails with dogs and mountain bikers, and a few other hikers. Good idea to check the Ridge to Rivers, Boise local website for trail conditions. There is NO shade in the hills so bring a lot of water in the summer months. Trails can be muddy or snow blanketed in winter.