Buck and Bear Valley Lakes

Buck and Bear Valley Lakes is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Leadore, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,440 feet Route Type: Out & Back

very nice hike. steady climb up 5 miles up on a decent trail. not a lot of wildlife. saw moose, elk and deer scat. but all old. the best idea is to hike due north past Buck Lack. no trails, but not difficult. After passing the scree fall next to the stream, you enter the canyon arena area. maybe 3 more miles, but a tough slogh. very nice camping spot at the feet of the arena. best to go on a moonless night. stars are amazing. downside is mosquitoes. thick and vicious in July. spray only seemed to be a mild suggestion to them. never saw another sole. plenty of water sources.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Surprised by our solitude--this weekend we were alone up there; but given that school just started and the distance from population centers, maybe not so surprising. Good fishing, great weather. Bear Valley Lake is scenically dramatic; Buck Lake just plain beautiful. It is a steady uphill pull the whole way, but water sources are good.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Nice hike up to several high lakes. We were at buck lakes and bear valley and only saw some people on the hike out. Beautiful lakes and excellent fishing.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

This is a nice solitary trail. There are lots of possibilities for on- and off-trail exploration of smaller lakes and minor peaks from a base camp at Bear Valley Lake.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Good semi technical trail to a few different lakes. Horses have it a little beat up and saw some dirt bike tracks. Not sure if those are allowed or not up there.

Monday, September 01, 2014

My son and I camped the first night at the trail head and than hiked 3 miles into buck lake. It was an awesome hike and we had a really good time. The first buck lake was beautiful. The reason I give this a 3 star rating is because when we got to the first lake and camp ground we encountered a boyscout troop leaving, and when we got to the actual campground they had left the place trashed and their fires were still burning. They burned trash and plastic everywhere and damaged a bunch of trees. My son and I spent all day trying to put their fires out and clean up. It sucked. When we finally started to settle down a group of people on horseback with there dogs showed up and started trashing the place all over again. It was a real bummer. I chose this location because I thought it was remote enough to avoid all of the regular trappings of close to city camping. Guess I was wrong

Sunday, June 29, 2014

I did this hike 3 days overnight late June. There are quite a few lakes up this trail but the signs telling you how far a lake is from a junction can be misleading and generally refer to how far away the next milage sign. the main bear valley lake was probably an extra 2 miles or more than indicated. there were spots to camp up at the main lake but there was so much rain and snow run off that it was flooded. I would recommend making a base camp 3 miles from the trailhead (the spot has a fire ring and the only flat tentable ground till you get to the lake.) and then explore the lakes when you have all day to see a few of them. I wouldn't say its a hard hike but to get to the lake and back in a day you would have to be in decent shape as you gain over 2000 feet over 8 miles and the terrain is fairly rocky. 5 stars for low trail usage (i didnt see anyone for the 3days i was there) and the gorgeous lake!