Bruneau Dunes Loop is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bruneau, Idaho that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

I followed the map recording, but it lead me astray a couple of times. Helps to follow footprints (if you can find them), but sometimes those lead you wrong too. Beautiful views and a fun experience!

fee

State park has a $5 entrance fee per car but it’s well worth it. Very unique landscape to visit. Sand dunes, short trail. picnic area. Pond. Watch out for mosquitoes, there are huge population of them. Dog friendly, very pretty sunset

fee

Great workout and the kids loved sliding down. We also enjoyed kayaking on the lake.

fee

Overall, it was a great experience and worth going to! A lot of kids brought sleds to sled down and I thought that was a great idea! It was a little tricky to maintain my balance with two dogs at the top. It is harder than it looks and hiking up is more than an easy trail even for a runner! There was very little shade so I would start early with dogs. The sand at the bottom heats up fast. The trail is not marked clearly, but someone has marked the water with a rock that says “trail” to let you know you are in route! I would also wear sunscreen and bring plenty of water! I forgot some sunscreen and got some serious sunburn. There are spots to picnic around too.

This is so much fun for a couple hours worth of adventure! There really is no marked trail, because the ridge of the sand dune is the trail. It's impossible to maintain a marked trail up there because the sand is not stable, and is constantly blowing. The best way to do the said hike, is to go around the lake up to the dune, hike up to the ridge, and walk along it for the entire length of the lake. There really is no way to get lost, if that is a concern with the whole no designated path thing.

I enjoyed the hike, but I’m not sure why it’s rated as easy? The hike is up a large sand dune and follows the ridge. I couldn’t find the path between the 2 lakes so eventually went around both. I was glad I bought additional bug spay or else....

Fun hike! It costs $5 per vehicle to enter the park. If you do not have cash you can pay with a card at the trail center before 5pm. The trail is marked to a certain point up to the main dunes on the backside of the lake. Bugs were bad when I went, but still enjoyable.

Thought "Sand Dunes" were a misnomer in land-locked Idaho but boy was I wrong. Due to an environmental cataclysm 15,000 years ago there are significant dunes at this park, held in place by winds coming in opposite directions. Perhaps I was overly influenced by the sand that was immediately blown into my eye when opening the car door but I did not like this park. We attempted one path but found it poorly marked. Then, we thought we'd just walk around the lake but couldn't find enough cleared pathways to do it. The dunes were impressive to look at but the sand not fun to slog through. There are many better parks and paths in this part of Idaho.

Unique experience. This is the largest freestanding sand dune in North America. Morning in June was not too hot, but lots of mosquitoes by the water. Sand is a little tough to climb, but it’s worth it for some cool views and a run/slide down. Kid friendly. Instagram pics @marcomoore

Sun Apr 14 2019

Took the horses out for a ride during the Spring before it started to get hot. Our ride was beautiful, enjoyed the sunshine, and surprisingly no bugs. We spotted a small herd of antelope. It was a great workout for the horses even though it was a shorter ride.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Beautiful hike, just not in the heat of the summer.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Great spot with plenty of activities. Surprisingly a lot of wildlife.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Visited on 9/12/18. Had a hard time finding the “trail” so we didn’t actually do the loop. We just walked around near the lake. The sand is a great workout but gets hot easily. I think the high that day was 70 but the dogs’ paws seemed to bother them pretty quickly so we weren’t out long. We picnicked at a table near the lake and it was nice and quiet. Bring bug spray!

Sun Sep 16 2018

Definitely should try it if in the area. Sand was a great workout. Can get very hot

Sun Sep 02 2018

Nice views, trail not distinct as the sand allows you to go wherever. Sand gives you a nice workout.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Never hiked in a desert enviro before. It was quite strenuous if you climb the dunes. Make sure you hike in the morning. Beautiful scenery and a great fishing. Has camp sites, a star observatory and free wifi. A very cool experience!

Sun Jun 24 2018

Incredibly fun and astoundingly beautiful! It feels like you've left Idaho! Highly recommend renting sand sleds and/or boards from the visitor's center. Hilarious and unforgettable!

Sat Jun 23 2018

Very beautiful area. Super dog and child friendly! It was $5 to enter the park. I suggest bringing a sled or skis if you want to have some extra fun on the dunes! Also, don’t forget insect/mosquito repellent!!! There are a TON of mosquitoes once you enter the tree overlay!! Overall 8/10 experience

Sun May 20 2018

We went on Mother's Day this year it was a really fun trail. The view is beautiful and the kids had a blast. However, the mosquitoes were horrid! We all left covered in mosquito bites. so make sure you bring your bug spray!

Mon Apr 16 2018

Kids love this hike!

Wed Mar 28 2018

This is a short walk, but a real workout climbing in the loose sand.

Sat Jan 20 2018

Good trail. Nice to be able to go where you want and not be confined to trails. Beautiful views.

Wed Sep 13 2017

The Bruneau sand dunes trails are fun and clearly marked. The trail from the campground to the observatory has informational signs along the way that tell about the animals that live at the dunes. Just watch for rattlesnakes, scorpions, and wind.

Fri Jul 07 2017

Was neat if you can deal with heat wind and sand in all places. There are various arrowheads and rocks to find. Good place to visit at least once.

Wed Apr 05 2017

Great place to camp early spring. Great hiking, sand boarding, biking, horseback riding. Great for the whole family. Many kids for your own to play with.