Learn more

Box Canyon Springs Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Wendell, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 351 ft Route type Loop

Scramble

Fee

Description
Waypoints (0)

There is a $5 entrance fee per vehicle, which can be avoided by parking in the parking area off South 1500 E. before entering the fee area through the gate. Note: As of May 2019, users report that the overlook/bridge is damaged and needs repair however it is still crossable. Please check the park page for more information.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (239)
Photos (193)
Recordings (124)
Completed (367)
Amanda McDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 08 2020
Hiking

Solid walk along the river! We were with a 9 and 6 yr old and they enjoyed the many stops along the river to skip rocks. The path is mostly gravel but it’s well packed. There were lots of people out and about but it still didn’t feel crowded.

Mya Hodges
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingRocky

Was a beautiful little hike! At the beginning you start out at the top and then on the right a path starts to descend down. Its marked by a pipe and you’ll be able to see a wire rope to keep you from falling. First bit is very rocky but starts to get better. Waterfall and small water hole was worth seeing!! We chose not to do the full circle because we had our black lab with us and after the water hole there seemed to not be anymore places to get into water.

View Mya's Recording
Benjamin Schallop
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike into a gorge. The path is a bit uneven and steep going down if you go counter clockwise into the loop. The pools and river at the bottom are gorgeous and very cold. A nice reward after a hot hike down to the bottom. Coming up is a pretty standard switch back to get back to the top. I’d recommend driving down to the second parking lot it’s right at the loop unless you wanted to do the extra walking (about 1 like extra) if you park at the upper parking lot. Takes about 2-3 hours if you want to stop for lots of pictures and swim at the bottom.

Shelby Carr
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

Beautiful and not difficult. There are some steep areas and rocks than can cause you to roll an ankle, but otherwise it feels like you are in a whole other world. Wear pants unless your ready for some scratched up legs and watch out for the stinging nettle, not a fun plant to rub on. A must do hike while in southern Idaho. We ended up in the middle of a down pour and hail storm so we didn't take a dip in the pool as we were already drenched. My 5 year old described it best, it was like being in a jungle with out leaving our state.

Cayla Allistair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingFee

Great trail! i enjoyed it so much. For me i chose a great day, which entailed hail storm and rain, but it made it more fun for me. Once you get to the end of the trail it’s absolutely beautiful. I’m from florida and i’ve never seen water so blue. I can’t wait to go back already. I very much so recommend it and also recommend you wear leggings, since there is quite a bit of poison ivy and other itchy plants.

Ivan Acosta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingFee

Really enjoyed this hike! Once you make it down into the canyon you’re surrounded by beautiful views up and around you. The river is beautiful and so clear. So tempting to get in, although I didn’t get in, my parter did and they enjoyed the dip. Towards the end of the hike, you feel like you’re on private property, but you’re good.

Shirley Orndorff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Nice hike. Water is beautiful. I felt like I was walking on a farm road for over 1/2 of the way. Beginning part was rocky and scrambling through thick underbrush. Glad I had my pole and hiking boots!

Taya Cluff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingFeeRocky

This is such an amazing beautiful hike! The water is COLD but worth it after the hot hike. Water is crystal clear and beautiful. Hike is steep and a little hard on the way Back up for beginners. Watch out for poison ivy and stinging nettle!

Halle Barnello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 24 2020
HikingBridge outBugsFeeOver grownRocky

Bring proper hiking shoes or something that’s going to give you a good grip on loose dirt! Beautiful hike & the swimming spot was gorgeous clear waters but wow it is COLD still worth a dip though!

Adam Jensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingFeeOver grownScramble

It was a great hike! We hiked to the swimming hole and back and it took us 2 hours with an 8 month old in a carrier and a 3 year old walking. It was a little long for the 3 year old if they are walking the whole thing but the trail is doable while carrying child. They have taken the overlook bridge at the waterfall completely out and the trail gets a bit dicey for 100 feet or so. Also it is quite over grown in spots. That being said I would recommend this trail to anyone in the area whole isn't afraid of a little rock crawling.

Maren Hansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 12 2020
Hiking

This was a great hike! I had a 2 yr old on my back (in a pack) and my 4 yr old hiking right behind me. There are a few spots on slopes that are slick with “moon dust” type dirt which we navigated fine after we slowed down a bit. We were hot, sweaty, and dusty by the time we got to the pool, it was very refreshing and worth the hike. It took us about 30 minutes to hike in and 40 minutes to hike out. There was poison ivy and stinging nettle along the trail so I had my 4 yr old in pants and hikers, while I wore shorts and Chaco sandals. Just stay on the trail and you won’t be exposed to the ivy and nettle.

Joshua Knutson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 10 2020
HikingFeeOver grownRocky

Great little spot to go hang out for the day. Trail down is rocky but there is a cable for balance if needed. If you do the whole loop it gets boring the last half after the wading area. Suggest going back from the pool area. Overall great location. Definitely a hidden oasis

Sam Piraino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 01 2020

great short hike and (chilly) spring swimming at the bottom. Bring a snorkel! There was a lot of stinging nettle and poison ivy all along the bottom portion of the trail so beware

Margarita Urrutia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 28 2020
Hiking

My favorite go to place ...

Jackie Baldwin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
HikingBridge outFee

This was a fantastic hike! I’m so glad we went. We have an 11yr. Old and 15yr. Old boys who loved climbing some of the big boulders. The trail is modern to semi strenuous. I only say this because the trail needs some work where the old bridge use to be. Basically they need to replace it. What’s there now is some very slippery steep spots so bring proper shoes with tread. We wore our hiking boots and did well. I did see folks in flip flops precariously trying to navigate. I recommend going in the early AM or later in the day when crowds dissipate. Bring water!! Even today it was a warm spring day and the trek back up the trail can make you thirsty. The hike is well work the sights! Bring your camera. I posted some great shots.

Eric Foster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
HikingMuddy
Aly Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 09 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail! Gorgeous water. Kid and pet friendly but there are a few treacherous areas. There’s a staircase that’s damaged. Plenty of shade spots and even a small swimming hole.