Bolder Chain Lakes Trail

Bolder Chain Lakes Trail is a 18.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,638 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

I'm wondering if anyone who's been in the area recently or in the past has seen skiable snow in the vicinity. Thanks!

We just did this as a quick 3-night trip over the weekend. One of the most beautiful trips I've been on. We ended up setting up camp at Slide Rock Lake and had a nice little spot tucked out of the way of the main trail. Not a lot of traffic. We only saw four groups or so during our hike in and out. We did take a day trip Saturday up past most of the lakes to Scoop Lake. It was a strenuous climb up to the pass from the trailhead. Then was beautiful and quite leisurely from there passed Frog Lake and up passed Willow and Hatchet lakes. The day trip took us passed several lakes and was green and luscious throughout. Lots of fish to be caught and scenery to take in. I would do this train again in a heartbeat. After I finish recovering, that is. In response to the two posts below, the first portion of the trail up to Frog Lake definitely DOES allow access to both mountain bikes and motorcycles.

This is in response to the review written by Hailey Whitten. *** The White Clouds Wilderness is actually part of the Sawtooth National Forest, Salmon-Challis National Forest and has land managed by BLM. As it is a wilderness designation, there are absolutely no bikes allowed within the wilderness boundary (other rules apply prior to that part of the trail). You may bring horses but note the stock restrictions listed on the Sawtooth National Forest website (https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sawtooth/recarea/?recid=82349).

A portion of this trail is in White Clouds wilderness and the other portion is in Sawtooth National Forest. Meaning bikes and horses etc. are allowed in the wilderness area and not in the Nat’l Forest. My husband has done this as a backpacking trip before but we did it as a day hike and mountain biked portions. We camped near the parking lot and then hiked to the frog lakes and the first 4 boulder chain lakes the next day. We had plenty of daylight to get out and back before dark. The trail, bridges, trailhead maps and trailheads themselves were all very well marked, maintained and easy to follow. It was a wonderful hike with plenty of alternating between sunny and shady portions of the trail. With our camelbacks and the lakes/streams we had plenty of places to refill water as needed. The scenery was beautiful alternating between mountains, forest trail, meadows, and lakes.

The lakes never end, and the view from Windy Devil Pass is beautiful.

Sun Apr 16 2017

we went late july...it was awesome country, absolutely beautiful! the reason I gave it 4 stars was there was to many people up there, we had trouble finding a camping spot... and there was a group of boy scouts, nothing against them, I think it's awesome that kids get out like that, but they where noisy and running around. over all though, it was great!

Sat Oct 15 2016

I have hiked approximately 110 miles in this area and camped at numerous lakes in the area for 10 nights. The trail is great, unless you run into motocycles. They are apparently allowed all the way to Frog Lake. I have nothing against these riders but their activity is loud and tears up the trail considerably. The fishing is great at most of the lakes. I highly recommend Castle Lake and Walker Lake. If you are up for a challenge, go swimming in Lonesome Lake. The last time I was there was in late July and there was still ice on it. The scenery is beautiful and there are plenty of camping sites all along the lakes. There are typically lots of horses and outfitters that frequent the area. They are all friendly and great to interact with if you choose. Enjoy. This is one of my favorite areas in Idaho.

Wed Aug 01 2018