Blue Lake Trail

Blue Lake Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Idaho that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is closed during the winter and opens June 1st every year.

Backpacked up in this area back in July and enjoyed some lovely weather and beautiful scenery. A hike up Granite Peak and another up Tripod Peak added some stunning views. Blue Lake itself was very busy, but that's to be expected. We only hiked through there, so it may have quieted down.

Hiked on 9/4/18 with our two dogs and 2 month old. It was a beautiful September hike. We’ve backpacked this in June where there was a ton of snow so it was nice to see it all dry. Lake was pretty muddy at the beach area where we stopped to relax and have lunch. Nice and easy hike but remember you have to hike up on the way back! We hiked on a weekday and ran into a few other families. I hear the weekends get busy. I highly recommend.

great short hike. camped overnight, very peaceful. highly recommended if you're a beginner.

Super family friendly..about a mile to the lake, beautiful views, and so peaceful. packed a lunch and enjoyed exploring!

Fun little hike, enjoyed it with the wife and kids. Close to Cascade and Mccall so lots of people.

easy in. moderate out.

awesome!

Great place to go for a beautiful hike through meadows of wild flowers. I uploaded photos but there did not attach to my review.

We loved this hike, it was good for all ages! The hike itself was short but spectacular and the lake was amazing. Next time we will pack in more supplies to hang out by the lake longer.

Just Do It! You will not be sorry..well worth the time..beautiful drive to trailhead...short 25-30min hike to the lake...tough hour hike back up but just take your time and enjoy the scenery. Bring some repellent mosquitos are bad. Felt bad walking thru folks campsites along the trail...campers weren't too worried about it! Great "first time" hike for you or the fam!

Easily marked trailhead with facilities. You hike down first to the lake, and back up. It was somewhat busy the Sunday afternoon we went, but still scenic, and you had ample space to yourself.

Hike back up is decently steep, but very short and there is lots of trees for shade.

Very nice views, both of the alpine meadows and also the lake. Water was cold ans very refreshing to dip your feet into.

My favorite hike!!! Down hill with some loose rock until you get to the lake. It is only a mile to the lake. I hike all the way around the lake and really love the views from everywhere in this hike!! Some beautiful spots to tie up a hammock and enjoy some time. The parking area is small. There is also a "bathroom"(nice outhouse) at the trailhead. I would take some bug spray with you though.

Amazing easy trail. Only con is the starving mosquitoes, so be prepared. Went down to the lake and water was pretty refreshing as we jumped from the rocks. I highly recommend.

Fun,easy hike down to and around the lake. Drive up to the trailhead a bit further on gravel than I expected, but a great adventure nonetheless!!

This was a beautiful and scenic hike. I would do it again. But we had my 3 year old granddaughter and mother in law. The hike was easy going down but coming back up was really strenuous for them. The views were incredible.

This was the first time I've ever been hiking, but it was a great experience. The lake was beautiful, everyone was incredibly respectful of each other and the area. The hike back was a challenge, though, and some reviewers said that it would be considered a moderate hike back because of how steep it gets. Definitely had to rest a few times. Overall, really fun!

PREPARE PREPARE PREPARE. Mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. Not just by the water, not just on the trail, by the parking lot too. CRAZY amount of mosquitos.

Easy 1.6 mile hike. All the elevation is at the end as you start the hike declining down to the lake. Gorgeous landscape and very picturesque (check out my uploads). Took the kids and our pup and everyone loved it. Originally came before May 31st and it was closed saying its closed Nov 13th-May 31st so keep that in mind. Last 8 miles of the drive is up hill on dirt if thats a issue dont proceed but we all do this because we love the journey.

We hiked on June 2nd, the first weekend it opened. Be aware that the dirt road you drive up is closed until they open at the end of May. Not sure when they close the road. There was lots of spring run off also in some part we had to pass there were big patches of 3ft of snow depth. We survived wearing tennis shoes/ hiking shoes because it was a beautiful warm day about 70 degrees. The trail begins down hill and you cross 2/3 streams this time of year. Easy hike down to the lake. The lake is spectacular! There are some great rocks for sitting on. The views are amazing. This is a great hike for kids. Both my 13yr. And 9yr. Old boys love it. Lots of things to see and rocks to climb! They thought it was hilarious that there mother was hip deep in snow at one point! Which there can be spots like this so be aware. There were still sheets of Ice on the shaded part of the lake. I imaging by July it will be melted. My kids can’t wait to go back and jump into the lake! I gave this 4 stars only because the trek back is all up hill. It’s not too bad you just take breaks in between. Bring water and snacks because you’ll want to stay a while!

only giving it a 3 star not due to its beauty as the drive was wonderful but the gate on NF446 was locked up with the sign saying its closed to public from Nov 13-May 31. Will be back and adjust accordingly. I see post from people saying they went just 3 days before this post can be certain its current hike for them or just currently reviewed.

Good hike, great scenery. Its worth driving up to the top of Snowbank Mountain after hiking for the views of Round and Long Valleys.

Very easy on the way down, more strenuous on the way up. Steeper than I originally thought.

This was an absolutely beautiful hike that wasn't long but it was a great workout on the way back up. I went in September so it was sunny but not too hot. Tons of wildflowers, and the end leads you to a large rock overlooking the Blue Lake. You can even jump in from the rock.

Went with my 40 lb 3 year old and six year old easy hike down but moderate to strenuous hike up Thank God I had enough forethought to bring kid carrier because she did not want to walk up it was strenuous.

The Lake is gorgeous and ice cold. I would recommend good sturdy water shoes.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I didn't love the lake and the trail was way too rocky. I also wouldn't rate the trail as easy. It was a steep climb, not long but steep. Kids can do it, I took my 6 year old.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Beautiful trail ends in the lake you can definitely jump in bring a swimsuit you will get to enjoy after the nice hike down. On this trail you do have to hike up in the end so just be ready for that part also because it's says easy but I would say at least moderate to maybe hard.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

This hike is great for just a day trip or you can stay longer and explore. The trail to the lake is almost exclusively down hill almost all the way to the lake. There are lots of great spots to swim, fish or just enjoy the lake. Due to the easy access and great views, expect to see other hikers.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Such a beautiful view!!! Really enjoyed the hike. Can't wait to backpack and camp!!!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Super easy hike. We camped there overnight and did some fishing. This is a great spot to come if you want to camp, but are limited on time.

Monday, August 14, 2017

beautiful hike! Beautiful day trip from Boise. Go to the Vandal and BSU store turn left, get to a red barn, turn left, go all the way up until you reach a well traveled parking lot with restroom. That is very where the trail starts, beautiful views, wild flowers and berries. we seen mushrooms, frogs and birds. dinner campers, fishermen and many swimmers even a few frogs! totally worth the hike back up the hill. Will do it again!