Learn more

Blue Lake Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.6 mi Elevation gain 380 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Bugs

Description
Waypoints (0)

This trail is closed during the winter and opens June 1st every year.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (165)
Photos (182)
Recordings (40)
Completed (288)
Hailey Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Great trail! The drive was 8-10 miles up an unpaved windy road. You drive up to two parking areas. We parked, SPF’d up and headed down a rocky downhill trail. We arrived at the lake which was pretty! It didn’t meet my personal expectations, Was expecting sawtooth pretty though because we climbed so high. Lots of mosquitos! Overall, it’s a great steep hike to do to get away from the city life. Trail is heavily trafficked though. We had to wear a mask while climbing back up because several huge families were hiking down.

Thomas Marlatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020

Short and sweet. Busy, but once you get to the water it doesn’t feel crowded. Packed 3 paddle boards with 4 kids and they all did fine. Great day hike for families.

Tanya Vandermeer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! Weather is nice as it’s hot but a little cooler hiking there. Steep climb coming out. Only downfall is there are a lot of people. Fished and didn’t catch anything.

Family of Free
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
Hiking

On July 28th, my husband, 10 month old, red heeler and I adventured near the trail head to camp for the night. The road was a little bumpy, but nothing intense. There is a porta potty at the trail head. There are two trails, a mile to the lake and a backpacking trail that extends to 119 miles. The way to the lake is all down hill, on a rocky surface. The way down is incredibly easy. It is muddy in a few places, but that is to be expected when you go to an alpine lake and snow is still on some of the mountain. At the lake there were multiple places to backpack into that were clean and level. The water was a nice temperature to relax and swim in. The water was clean and clear. The views to the lake and at the lake are absolutely breathtaking. There are bugs, you are near water, so take bug spray. The way back is all up hill, a good climb. Over all this is a beautiful hike and a lake to hang out at. We will be back and highly recommend. We have a YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuqAytrT-U1vlphR3WWujJw #Familyoffree. It’s a family channel of us camping and hiking weekly. This video will be up by August 11th.

Chris Johnston
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020

1. Expect 8+ miles of washboard dirt road to get to the parking lot. 2. Steep descent, which makes for a steep ascent on the way back. 3. LOTS of people. Don't expect a secluded, serene experience. Yelling kids and all. 4. Mosquitos like Alaska. Despite using lots of bug spray, we were run out of town by the little malaria breeders. Will we go back? Nope. Not worth it.

Lilli Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

Hi my niece was supposed to be hiking this trail Tuesday July 28. She is missing now and her car found at the trail head parking lot. I don't know how to contact another alltrails user but if anyone has contact info for Chris Johnston, he reviewed the trail the same day she was supposed to be there too. my email is lvillaro23@gmail.com instagram @lilliloves PLEASE WE ARE DESPERATE FOR ANY HELP!

David Varn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

This review is from June 20th so a little dated. Very snowy and beautiful- and love the huge slick rocks by the lake which are a perfect hangout spot. Pretty steep descent and return but well worth it!

Lisa Caulfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Absolutely gorgeous lake with gorgeous wildflowers EVERYWHERE!!! It is a fairly steep 1 mile hike down to the lake, then a 1 mile trail around the lake (sometimes you have to look for the trail through the rocks or over a stream, but it is there!), and then the hike back up. The road to get to the trailhead is a gravel Forest Service Road that goes about 8 miles (I think) up a windy road to the top of Snow Bank Mountain. There is an outhouse in the parking lot. Do remember your bug spray and don't leave it in the car like I did! :) Also, you turn LEFT on Snow Bank Mntn Road, not right as my instructions said (you can only turn left, but we kept wondering if we were on the wrong road...)

Amy Miller-Wallace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugs

I would have rated 5 stars, but I was eaten alive by mosquitoes. I used 3 different mosquito repellents (a natural one, off with deet and another one with a higher percentage of deet). Mosquitoes are normally attracted to me, but I can usually spray myself and it works.... not this time. I've never seen so many mosquitoes in my life. The hike was great, my 4 year old did it and the last part when you can see the bathrooms is when he finally said he was tired. The views are amazing and there were so many flowers. You can still see a sliver of snow on the mountain.

Chelsea Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Chelsea's Recording
Debbie DeVonce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

This is one of my favorite hikes in Idaho. It is absolutely gorgeous! We hiked down and around the lake today. There was a tiny bit of mud and a little snow on the trail. But, it was easy to walk around or over it. The pups loved the snow and creek crossings (nothing major). Definitely bring bug spray though. The mosquitoes were out!

Tom Andersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingSnow

The trail that goes around the lake still has snow on it. My group could still closely navigate the trail; be careful it is slippery. Over all the views are worth the quick rocky decent to the lake and the slow rocky uphill to the parking area.

Jenny Collard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020

great Trail, and good people!

Denise G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

The drive up to the trailhead almost as much fun as the hike down to the lake. Some beautiful views and spots to picnic, meditate or enjoy the views. Still snowy area over water with no clear trail but easy to pick your way through. The nearly 400 foot gain was def easier on the way down when it was both cooler and, well, downhill but a great moderate hike overall. The lake and views are stunning.

Janeth Woodworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Hiking

I took my 5 years old grandson for his first backpacking trip, he enjoyed it. Trail was good in some parts was muddy, and still have some patch of snow, my grandson jump on the water and he said was perfect for him! Not for me. A lot of day hikes and couple overnighting. I picked up some garbage to leave there

Farzan F.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful, moderate trail. good for walking, campaign, and mtn biking.

Rose Albert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

FROZEN LAKE!? This hike was one of the shortest, most adventurous hike I’ve ever done! The way to the lake is primarily downhill which offers great views from the get-go. Once you’ve reached Blue Lake, there are great rocky outcropping to sit and and take-in the beautiful lake. My partner and I did this hike in late May on a hot day (97 degrees in Boise that day) and yet still encountered amass amounts of snow making the trail difficult to follow (in fact I have no idea if we even followed the trail at any point during the hike). Additionally, there was still a decent amount of snow covering the snowmelt run-off streams so crossing the streams was a bit sketchy so wear good boots if you are hiking this early in the Summer. Lastly, the lake was frozen which made for a unique and beautiful experience! PSA: there were a few rowdy snowmobilers so be aware. Also, if you are planning on using the trail during early to mid summer expect snow or muddy conditions!

Samuel Robertson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 17, 2020
BackpackingSnow

solid hike in and out. decent bit of snow but not to bad. when you reach the lake its still frozen. not much fishing or swimming there yet. but beautiful place to stay the night! would love to do it again mid summer

Alan Hochhalter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 12, 2020
HikingSnow

Friday afternoon (before the new weekend snow) parking lot was snow covered, trail mostly snow covered and lake pretty much still frozen over. Looked like few snow-free spots to camp.

Chris Malcom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
BackpackingIcyMuddySnow

snowy, icy, muddy. 2 - 3 feet of snow covers parking lot.

Katie Koch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
Hiking

Very snowy still and lake frozen over

View Katie's Recording
Cary Shelton
HikingSnow

Road to the top is clear but the trail is 90 percent snow covered and you can't see the trail. We did it in tennis shoes so it is doable, just be ready for an adventure.

alex alcantar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2020
Backpacking

been up there several times, have camped there a couple times. theres always lots of visitors. just a beautiful lake!! water is pretty cold to swim in, even mid summer. not a bad hike unless you're packing camping gear.

Nick Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 30, 2019

I managed to get there in the middle of their first winter storm. I wanted to hike to Snowbank peak but considering I could barely see, my buddy said no and we just went to the alle instead. still pretty and after trudging through the 1 foot of snow, I felt invincible! this felt like I got christened into a real hiker