Blue Lake Trail

Blue Lake Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Idaho that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was an absolutely beautiful hike that wasn't long but it was a great workout on the way back up. I went in September so it was sunny but not too hot. Tons of wildflowers, and the end leads you to a large rock overlooking the Blue Lake. You can even jump in from the rock.

Went with my 40 lb 3 year old and six year old easy hike down but moderate to strenuous hike up Thank God I had enough forethought to bring kid carrier because she did not want to walk up it was strenuous.

The Lake is gorgeous and ice cold. I would recommend good sturdy water shoes.

I didn't love the lake and the trail was way too rocky. I also wouldn't rate the trail as easy. It was a steep climb, not long but steep. Kids can do it, I took my 6 year old.

Beautiful trail ends in the lake you can definitely jump in bring a swimsuit you will get to enjoy after the nice hike down. On this trail you do have to hike up in the end so just be ready for that part also because it's says easy but I would say at least moderate to maybe hard.

This hike is great for just a day trip or you can stay longer and explore. The trail to the lake is almost exclusively down hill almost all the way to the lake. There are lots of great spots to swim, fish or just enjoy the lake. Due to the easy access and great views, expect to see other hikers.

Such a beautiful view!!! Really enjoyed the hike. Can't wait to backpack and camp!!!

Super easy hike. We camped there overnight and did some fishing. This is a great spot to come if you want to camp, but are limited on time.

beautiful hike! Beautiful day trip from Boise. Go to the Vandal and BSU store turn left, get to a red barn, turn left, go all the way up until you reach a well traveled parking lot with restroom. That is very where the trail starts, beautiful views, wild flowers and berries. we seen mushrooms, frogs and birds. dinner campers, fishermen and many swimmers even a few frogs! totally worth the hike back up the hill. Will do it again!

A ways out from Cascade. downhill most of the way to the lake so it is tougher on the way back. beautiful drive, short hike and well worth it to see the wildflowers, chipmunks and of course the lake :) will be back!

Steep for first bit, older people will have trouble. Very pretty. Mostly steep and rocky.

it is beautiful. Did not feel crowded at all even with the large number of cars in the parking lot. the wild flowers are in full bloom

easy in , harder out when carrying a 40lb child on your back. very pretty hike

Fun short hike! The road getting to the trailhead isn't bad either. We got up there without issues in a Nissan Versa. It might seem like you're driving forever, but just keep going and the trailhead will be really obvious. It is pretty heavily trafficked this time of year (Mid-July), but the water isn't too cold for swimming.

Love this hike!! I did it as a young girl and remembered loving it. Did it again with our family and it was even better than I remembered! So pretty and my kids LOVED it. They even jumped into the lake from the rocks into the freezing water!

July 3-4, 2017. A good destination for first-time backpackers. Still deep snow on the south side of the lake.

The road is still closed for snow before reaching the Blue Lake Trailhead. 6/25/17.

the road is closed due show about 4 miles before the trail head. will have to try again later in the season

Had a great time geocaching in the area too! Boy Scouts all loved it.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Trail is amazing easy hike and view is amazing!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Have always loved this hike since first camping there while a youth in scouts in the late '70s. Now they have paved parking and outhouse at the top of the trailhead. Took my youngest on his first backpack and saw a badger first night and 4pt buck on the hike out. Many hikers and families out doing day hikes on Saturday. By Sunday evening the mountain quiet returns and beautiful sunset and sunrise over the lake.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My first time at blue lake, it was easy to find and my 2 kids 9 and 7 had no problems on the hike, and had so much fun.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Really easy hike but very scenic and convenient when looking for an alpine lake close to Boise. The road covers all of the elevation gain you would normally find in a hike. Used an app to track distance and found that going around the lake plus a side trip halfway up the mountain side for a view and back to the parking lot was 2.5 miles total.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

It was our first hike as a family, ever. We took our three kids 7, 6, and 2. they all had a blast and it was beautiful! It was a bit windy but all in all was a very good first hike for our family.

Friday, September 02, 2016

One of my favorite hikes!
It is at the top of a mountain, so when we went in July, 2014 and there was still snow!
Soooo many wild flowers, and greenery everywhere! When you go be sure to cross the road on the opposite side of the parking lot so you don't miss even more Incredible views!
The lake is small enough to hike around and play on.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

This was an awesome hike! It was challenging enough for my 2 kids (2 and 5 years old) to keep it interesting but easy enough they could do it with minimal breaks. We took both of our dogs as well and they had a blast! The lake is beautiful!! There are also bathrooms at the trailhead which is great when you have kids!

Monday, August 22, 2016

excellent view and great for all ages!!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

beautiful hike and lake. Perfect for beginning backpacking. Amazing wildflowers and lots of hidden ponds Plenty of great camping spots around the lake

Only downside is it is VERY crowded on the weekends. I believe it is a boy scout favorite. I want to go again during the week so it has more of that backcountry feel

Friday, August 05, 2016

Easy hike with lots of wildflowers.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

It was a great hike. Not too difficult if you watch your step. Amazing views!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

If you're sensitive to getting car sick, the ride to the trail head is a little rough..but, the views throughout the hike and of the lake, a little fishing, and some cliff jumping definitely made it worth the drive! Absolutely stunning!