Blue Lake Trail

moderate 129 reviews

Blue Lake Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 380 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is closed during the winter and opens June 1st every year.

I managed to get there in the middle of their first winter storm. I wanted to hike to Snowbank peak but considering I could barely see, my buddy said no and we just went to the alle instead. still pretty and after trudging through the 1 foot of snow, I felt invincible! this felt like I got christened into a real hiker

Such a stunning trail!! This is one of my favorite places to hike. Some of the rocky areas can be loose, but if you’re paying attention, you should have no problems.

The lake was gorgeous and the trail was a little rocky but very easy to hike... almost too easy. We made it to the lake really quickly, so to lengthen the experience we went off trail and climbed up nearby rocks to get a better vantage point of the lake. That was slightly more difficult than the trail but definitely worth the views. Also, driving up to the trailhead is an adventure. It's super high with lots of pretty views along the way.

Weather was great and almost nobody else was there. This is a great place to camp during the week after school has started. Very beautiful location.

I would recommend this trail if you are looking for an easier trail but with beauty. Great hike and my 6 year old handled it with no issues at all. Lots of spots to camp if interested by the lake. Nice easy hike!

Just a quick hike. No other traffic. Beautiful as always. I never tire of Blue Lake. Even my stepdaughter who "hates" hiking had a good time. Definitely recommend.

This hike was perfect for a short day trip with kids 3, 5, and 7. We walked down and in, took a swim, and continued to walk around the lake before we walked up and out. A beautiful place with moderate traffic and a handful of campers. The only downside to this hike was the road to the trailhead, it was in awful condition.

Perfect trip. Camped overnight, caught a few trout, didn’t want to leave. Lots of campers and visitors so you won’t be alone if that’s what you’re looking for.

This trail has always been a favorite of mine! I’ve gone almost every since I was a kid. It is very short, downhill the whole way in so be prepared to gain elevation on the way out, but it’s so short that it is not difficult. Great spot to swim and camp.

Beautiful drive up...trail is mostly downhill on the way in but once you get in its gorgeous. it was my first time backpacking into somewhere and I found it to be perfect for a 1st time. Although the hike out was rough (I knew this going in it wasnt going to be easy getting out). All in all I would do it again

We took our 3 year old and packed in paddleboards to this beautiful lake. Great hile and perfect for an active family with little ones

Trail is all downhill which can be difficult getting out for some. Also it’s a short enough trail that the night we stayed a group of drunk kids were able to carry pallets of wood in for and all night party (and proceeded to leave their bottles which we cleaned up). Lake is nice but be prepared to see a lot of folks on the trail.

We were so excited to hike a hike that was labeled as EASY. It most certainly is not a easy hike. We had a 3 and 4 year old and a pregnant woman and it was tough. Hiking down was even a little tricky with the rocky trails. Hiking out was tough. This hike should be labeled as a moderate hike. The lake was beautiful and the children had fun catching frogs and tadpoles. We just wish the hike was labeled correctly. The drive up to the trail head is about 30-45 minute drive up a dirt road the length would depend on what vehicle you’re driving, we were in a van.

The area was beautiful. The fishing was terrible you could actually see the fish but wasn’t able to catch any. People were using flies, worms, power bait, jigs. Still nothing. They rate the hike as easy. I would give it a moderate rating. Going in 95 percent is all down hill, but you can’t forget you will have to go up hill to come back out. You will want poles to us coming back out if you have a large pack.

Extra fun and simple day hike when staying in Cascade. Also a drivable distance from Boise (you can get there, hike, and drive back in good time). Small, beautiful lake with fun around the lake short trail (30 minuets) if you thought the downhill was to short. Good trout fishing, and good hike to haul all your fishing gear down the short trail. Absolutely beautiful! Done this many times for years!

7.13.19 absolutely breath taking. the hike was great. some snow. water was not as cold as I expected. walked all the way around the lake.

JULY 20-21, 2019: Went camping here for 1 night. The evenings are chilly and perfect for campfires and star gazing. The lake was beautiful in the mornings when the water was still. For camping- there are lots of great flat sites for tents and fire rings sprinkled throughout. There were 4 of us girls and this was a great hike for my niece’s first overnighter. The water was cold, but not freezing. Don’t forget your bug spray!

Easy hike with beautiful views the entire time. Be sure to bring bug spray. The mosquitos are bad!

very easy hike to a nice Alpine lake. Beautiful flowers and lots of butterflies.

Beautiful, easy hike. Take the time to go around the lake. There was still snow but not enough to limit passage. Lots of water crossings due to snow melting though. Bring trekking poles to work your way across the creeks.

Hi everyone! My wife and I drove up there yesterday to find the trail, but were unable to do the hike do to snow . If you don’t know the trail, wait a couple more weeks until the snow melts. We had a great time and the views are incredible!!! The Lake is still frozen over...... Call for more details if you like (208) 999-6700 Mike

Great little hike to take our kids on. We went for Fathers Day and there was still a lot of snow on the ground. All the little streams from the snow melt were beautiful but made for some very wet feet. It is mostly uphill on the way back, but our kids did it with very little struggle. We’ll be going back again later in the summer when it’s all dry and the lake isn’t frozen over.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Hiked on 9/4/18 with our two dogs and 2 month old. It was a beautiful September hike. We’ve backpacked this in June where there was a ton of snow so it was nice to see it all dry. Lake was pretty muddy at the beach area where we stopped to relax and have lunch. Nice and easy hike but remember you have to hike up on the way back! We hiked on a weekday and ran into a few other families. I hear the weekends get busy. I highly recommend.

Sat Sep 15 2018

great short hike. camped overnight, very peaceful. highly recommended if you're a beginner.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Super family friendly..about a mile to the lake, beautiful views, and so peaceful. packed a lunch and enjoyed exploring!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Fun little hike, enjoyed it with the wife and kids. Close to Cascade and Mccall so lots of people.

Sun Aug 19 2018