Blossom Lakes Trail

Blossom Lakes Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Murray, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked to Blossom Lake Friday, August 4th, 2017. Had a beautiful campsite right on the lake. HUCKLEBERRIES are plentiful & are still coming on...they are all along the trail & in our campsite as well! Saturday we hiked up to Upper Blossom Lake which is an easy hike . My hiking book said there is no trail to Upper Blossom but that is incorrect. Once you reach Blossom cross to the left of the small creek & continue along the trail staying to the left when you reach a Y in the trail. Trail climbs slightly but then evens out & is very easy. You'll come to another Y with a sign to Pear Lake & Upper Blossom Lake. Pear Lake is definitely more of a climb but well worth it! This hike is rated as easy. We do a lot of hiking & would rate this as moderate. Also the distance is incorrect. It is over 3 miles from the trailhead to Blossom Lake.

Gorgeous hike with infinite possibilities from a simple day hike, over-nighting, multiple lake connections, ridge scrambles, and peak bagging. When we hiked it on 7/29 we went with the simple day hike to the lower lake including a dip in the crystal clear waters.

A few points: I would rate this moderate, not easy. I wonder sometimes if the people doing trail ratings are very fit and rating them according to their level rather than the general population. There is a fair amount of climbing that someone expecting an "easy" hike might be caught off guard with.

An earlier post mentioned that there are a couple of splits in the trail, but regardless which you take you wind up merging back onto the same trail. It's odd to me that they went to the effort to build alternate trails but with no signage or closing the old one off as they often do. I will add that if you are ascending, for both splits, taking the left split will lead you up a shorter, steeper route, while the right takes you up a newer, gentler (and slightly longer) route. So, for now, the choice is yours apparently.

Finally, HUCKLEBERRIES! I was picking them along the trail but saw others lower on the trail foraging. So get there soon! As with a lot of mountain landscapes this year, it looks like the bear grass was phenomenal this year but, sadly, the blooms are now gone.

Beautiful hike, one of our favorites!! The hike up to the lake can be pretty steep at times but we forgot all about that by the time we got to the lake! Well worth it, lake feels secluded (we went at 8 am on a Sunday) and we only ran into 2-3 other small groups the entire time. I recommend packing a lunch and probably even your swim suit to thoroughly enjoy your break at the lake! Good hike for dogs too. We will be back and camp for a night next time!

Easy hike! Wanted something short since I was bringing my 2 year old golden retriever. The hike itself is dry but mostly shaded. The lake was beautiful and clear and perfect to spend the rest of the afternoon in. I went on a weekend and the trail and camping spots were crowded. There was a group of girls doing an overnight that brought their small, yipper dogs that barked all afternoon. Please, if you bring a dog, try to control them.
Bugs weren't terrible- mostly flies, but at least they didn't bite. I noticed more mosquitos in the morning than the evening, but was managed with good bug repellent.

beautiful hike. definitely more of a moderate level though.

This isn't what I'd call an "easy" hike. Especially if you are backpacking. It's more moderate in my mind.

Hike in was totally beautiful with all the flowers blooming! Now I know why they call it blossom lake.

Went in on 4th of July weekend so it was pretty busy. All the campsites were full. Met some good people and did have a good time.

A few notes:
* More trash than I'm used to seeing at mountain lakes. Please keep our lakes clean!
* A few of the camps sites need some work for tents sits. Bring in a shovel if you get a chance and help level some of the pads.

There are a few switchbacks on the way up. Right is longer with less incline. Left is shorter and steeper.

See you guys out there!

We hiked this on 6/23/17. This is absolutely one of my favorite hikes ever. The lakes are BEAUTIFUL (especially Upper Blossom but Lower Blossom is gorgeous too!) The hike to Lower Blossom goes up and down but is steep in some spots. You'll come across two spots in the trail that split with no sign; they both merge in the same place so it doesn't matter which fork you take. You'll hit a creek shortly before you hit Lower Blossom and you'll follow that until you see the lake. It'll take your breath away! To reach Upper Blossom, you have to cross the creek, which isn't hard to do if you're careful. It's not a far hike to Upper Blossom after that. You'll hit a sign that points towards Blossom or Pear Lake. We tried to do Pear Lake as well, but the trail disappeared in the snow and we didn't want to get lost, so we turned back. Blossom Lakes are well worth the hike on their own though! I'm gonna come back later in the season to see Pear Lake, and we want you backpack in to camp as well! There are a few sites at both Blossom Lakes:) I can't wait to do this hike again! It's right by Revett Lake too:)

Backpacked this on 06/20/2017 and planned on putting in way more miles than planned. The hike to Lower Blossom is approximately 3.1 miles in with a gradual ascent most of the way up. You follow a small stream on the last small portion of the trail until it opens up and you see the lake itself. There's a few campsites present with good tree blockage from the wind. Our original plan was to camp here overnight and then turn back the next day. This didn't happen. As a spur of the moment decision, we decided to make our way to Pear Lake. So, we jumped the small stream at Lower Blossom and easily found the trail. This trail has some gradual switchbacks for approximately one mile until you come to a marked fork in the road with two signs - one for Upper Blossom Lake and one for Pear Lake. We took Pear and we're glad we did. It was then a fairly steep ascent up to a small finger ridge that went further south east. By this time we hit the snow where there was still three to four feet in some places. We lost the trail even and had to follow Forest Service tree markings and miraculously made it to the lake before dark. We set up camp and stayed the night. I uploaded some pictures of Pear as well. The next morning we scrambled to the ridge line and peak that overlooked Pear Lake. Instead of hiking back down, we walked the ridge line all the way around to the West where we could see both Blossom Lakes and even Revett Lake. We ended up hiking down into Revett and back out to the truck from that trail at the top of Thompson Pass. Overall I believe it was a 14 mile loop or so. Long, but well worth it. This was a great backpack trip for anyone looking to see some awesome scenery.

Beautiful trail! Lovely mature forest at the bottom. Toward the top there was still snow on the ground. But nothing I couldn't do in tennis shoes. Check out some of the waterfalls to the left of the trail as you near the top. They're not too far off the trail and fun to explore. The lake was nearly all melted and was beautiful, though very cold. If you want some fun, take a ride on the log raft that is up there, sitting on the edge of the lake. If you have the time and feel comfortable scrambling, make your way up the steep hillside on the right and check out the rocky pinnacle. Steep, and the rocks slide a lot, but the top is well worth it for the view and solitude.

Fantastic day hike and exceptional terrain access for such an easy hike. Lower Blossom lake is 3.1 mi in, Upper is another mile above that. Didnt have enough time to scramble to Pear as there was still +4ft of snow at lower Blossom and just increased from there. Even had a nice snow storm while up there. This area never disappoints and highly recommend this hike for beginner to experienced hikers! The mileage on the signs is a little off but worth it!

Nice weekend trail! As of 6/10/17 there is still quite a bit of snow around the lake and on the trail.. We did make it to the lake but it started snowing after one night of camping and the wind was blowing like a hurricane so we packed it in and headed back down.. The lake is still half frozen over as well.. may try this one again in about a month.. Also we heard some strange things up at the camp site even though we were the only ones up there at the time.. not sure if the lake is haunted?

Awesome!