Blossom Lakes Trail

Blossom Lakes Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Murray, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My wife and I backpacked in to Pear Lake, and stayed the night at the end of the lake. There were a few campers down at Lower Blossom Lake, but we had Pear Lake all to ourselves.

The smoke from the Montana fires was light, but present during our hike up the mountain. On the following morning, the smoke was billowing up from the valley below. We could feel the heat from distant fires being carried on the wind, and the morning sky had an eerie orange glow. We packed up, and beat it down the mountain, as the smoke increased.

We met quite a few day hikers coming up the mountain, as we departed. I can only assume that their hike was a smokey and marginal one at best.

How sad and sickening to see the beautiful mountains of Montana burning!

Hiked in Fri 9/1/17 with 3 kids (15,11,and 7) and a small dog. The hike was a bit challenging at times, but very rewarding once we reached the lake. The trail is well-maintained, and no bugs. There were at least 3 very nice campsites. We got to our campsite a little later than we'd liked, and found ourselves setting up at dusk. Just as we were getting the tent set up, a large bull moose walked within 50 feet of our site and continued down to the water where we heard him splashing around. This was quite a site to witness in such close proximity, but it definitely left us startled and looking over our shoulder the remainder of the trip. We left our packs at the campsite next to us, but we could hear him rummaging around the campsite as we "slept". The next morning we got up to fly fish, and heard rustling in the woods--there he was again! It was fascinating to watch him, and clearly he did not want any trouble with us.

Actually 6.4 mi RT. Excellent, shady, peaceful, and uncrowded. Fri of Labor Day weekend we were the only ones until almost back to TH. Mostly easy with some short stretches of moderate grades. We took the two right forks going up for less steepness and took the other segments returning to save time. No bug problem on Sept 1. Scenery at lake excellent with at least 2 very nice sites for backpacking.

Absolutely beautiful! Make sure you have the energy for the climb, most of the trail is uphill. It let me know how out of shape I really am (although I was trying to keep up with my brother who is in the navy ;) ). The lake is well worth the sweat. Huckleberry bushes were picked clean this time of year, but we still found a few handfuls.
If a more leisure hike is wanted, I would recommend Revett lake that is just over the peak from blossom.

Hiked to Blossom Lake Friday, August 4th, 2017. Had a beautiful campsite right on the lake. HUCKLEBERRIES are plentiful & are still coming on...they are all along the trail & in our campsite as well! Saturday we hiked up to Upper Blossom Lake which is an easy hike . My hiking book said there is no trail to Upper Blossom but that is incorrect. Once you reach Blossom cross to the left of the small creek & continue along the trail staying to the left when you reach a Y in the trail. Trail climbs slightly but then evens out & is very easy. You'll come to another Y with a sign to Pear Lake & Upper Blossom Lake. Pear Lake is definitely more of a climb but well worth it! This hike is rated as easy. We do a lot of hiking & would rate this as moderate. Also the distance is incorrect. It is over 3 miles from the trailhead to Blossom Lake.

Gorgeous hike with infinite possibilities from a simple day hike, over-nighting, multiple lake connections, ridge scrambles, and peak bagging. When we hiked it on 7/29 we went with the simple day hike to the lower lake including a dip in the crystal clear waters.

A few points: I would rate this moderate, not easy. I wonder sometimes if the people doing trail ratings are very fit and rating them according to their level rather than the general population. There is a fair amount of climbing that someone expecting an "easy" hike might be caught off guard with.

An earlier post mentioned that there are a couple of splits in the trail, but regardless which you take you wind up merging back onto the same trail. It's odd to me that they went to the effort to build alternate trails but with no signage or closing the old one off as they often do. I will add that if you are ascending, for both splits, taking the left split will lead you up a shorter, steeper route, while the right takes you up a newer, gentler (and slightly longer) route. So, for now, the choice is yours apparently.

Finally, HUCKLEBERRIES! I was picking them along the trail but saw others lower on the trail foraging. So get there soon! As with a lot of mountain landscapes this year, it looks like the bear grass was phenomenal this year but, sadly, the blooms are now gone.

Beautiful hike, one of our favorites!! The hike up to the lake can be pretty steep at times but we forgot all about that by the time we got to the lake! Well worth it, lake feels secluded (we went at 8 am on a Sunday) and we only ran into 2-3 other small groups the entire time. I recommend packing a lunch and probably even your swim suit to thoroughly enjoy your break at the lake! Good hike for dogs too. We will be back and camp for a night next time!

Easy hike! Wanted something short since I was bringing my 2 year old golden retriever. The hike itself is dry but mostly shaded. The lake was beautiful and clear and perfect to spend the rest of the afternoon in. I went on a weekend and the trail and camping spots were crowded. There was a group of girls doing an overnight that brought their small, yipper dogs that barked all afternoon. Please, if you bring a dog, try to control them.
Bugs weren't terrible- mostly flies, but at least they didn't bite. I noticed more mosquitos in the morning than the evening, but was managed with good bug repellent.

beautiful hike. definitely more of a moderate level though.

This isn't what I'd call an "easy" hike. Especially if you are backpacking. It's more moderate in my mind.

Hike in was totally beautiful with all the flowers blooming! Now I know why they call it blossom lake.

Went in on 4th of July weekend so it was pretty busy. All the campsites were full. Met some good people and did have a good time.

A few notes:
* More trash than I'm used to seeing at mountain lakes. Please keep our lakes clean!
* A few of the camps sites need some work for tents sits. Bring in a shovel if you get a chance and help level some of the pads.

There are a few switchbacks on the way up. Right is longer with less incline. Left is shorter and steeper.

See you guys out there!

We hiked this on 6/23/17. This is absolutely one of my favorite hikes ever. The lakes are BEAUTIFUL (especially Upper Blossom but Lower Blossom is gorgeous too!) The hike to Lower Blossom goes up and down but is steep in some spots. You'll come across two spots in the trail that split with no sign; they both merge in the same place so it doesn't matter which fork you take. You'll hit a creek shortly before you hit Lower Blossom and you'll follow that until you see the lake. It'll take your breath away! To reach Upper Blossom, you have to cross the creek, which isn't hard to do if you're careful. It's not a far hike to Upper Blossom after that. You'll hit a sign that points towards Blossom or Pear Lake. We tried to do Pear Lake as well, but the trail disappeared in the snow and we didn't want to get lost, so we turned back. Blossom Lakes are well worth the hike on their own though! I'm gonna come back later in the season to see Pear Lake, and we want you backpack in to camp as well! There are a few sites at both Blossom Lakes:) I can't wait to do this hike again! It's right by Revett Lake too:)