Learn more

Bloomington Lake Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bloomington, Idaho that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 150 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: As of June 08, 2020, users have reported that the gate is CLOSED (until July 01) and it adds a 2.9 hike to the parking lot. Short hike to a beautiful lake. Short hike in and out. Be sure not to be fooled by the first unimpressive body of water. Bloomington Lake is farther along and worth the walk. There are fish in the lake although they are small. Often there is a rope swing which will drop you into the freezing water.

First off be ready for a long dirt road parts pretty rough to get there. Once to the parking lot it’s a short walk to the lake. The lake is beautiful with a rope swing and cliff jumps. We went on the 4th and it was insanely crowded. Very important we came in from bear lake side but tried going the other direction when leaving. Followed the google map but the road is way to dicey. I had a 4 wheel drive truck but needed a Jeep or off-road vehicle. Had to turn around and go back to bear lake.

So gorgeous! One of my favorite places in South East Idaho.

It was a beautiful hike from the gate. We ran up the hills for the most part and thought we would take it easy on the way down. Nope. Got scared by some large animal. I have been thinking about it since we left this past weekend. Does anyone know what kind of animals are up there? It was around 930 and legit scared us so bad we ran down the hill to the gate. I feel like it was a big padded foot animal? We didn’t hear any rocks or leaves just like the vibrations from the feet. Anyone have any ideas?

Backpacked to Bloomington lake about 10 miles round trip. Some snow above 8,000 feet in shade. Stream crossing is a little dicey. Steep trail. Nice views. Trail in okay shape.

closed

I’ve been to Bloomington Lake before and the 1.1 hike in and out is easy and such a beautiful place to go! When we went this last weekend the gate was closed and it was a 2.9 hike to the parking lot. Round trip about 7 miles. I’m giving it 5 stars because it’s an awesome place but highly don’t recommend going on the 7 mile round trip hike if you aren’t prepared physically or with enough food and water. Gate will open July 1st

closed

Sad! Road closed til July 1.

Beautiful fall day. Perfect weather. Amazing scenery. Not a difficult hike. Lots of good photos.

This is a beautiful and easy hike. you pass a couple of ponds before arriving at the destination lake. The water is so clear and the kids rope swinging were having a blast. Looks like we just missed the wildflowers, but I would definitely do this one again in summer to see them!

Really nice easy trail with a beautiful lake . Kids loved playing in the water and the rope swing.

This was a really easy hike in. I carried my paddle board in and had no trouble at all. Definitely would recommend!

The views are amazing, easy for the whole family!

lovely stroll. wild flowers in bloom. lots of people. there is a day use fee box, $5 per vehicle including ATV.

Amazing beautiful series of lakes clear up high :) we loved it as did our doodle pups. Wildflowers are in full bloom and road up was tons easier driving to get in the razor. We were the only ones there from 9am to but by 11am a gazillion people showed up. Go early! Must do rope swing.

Okay, the real challenge here is not the trail itself, but the road to get up there. This loong dirt road gets bumpy and quite narrow sometimes and there is quite a lot of traffic. Drive slow, watch for incomong cars and get a good 4WD SUV. Though, this is a pretty nice little family trail, with two very nice lakes ! Bring your bathing suit!

Go to Bloomington for the lake, not the hike. It's short, not much of a workout, and if you don't want to fish or swim, there are better places to invest your hiking time. The rope swing is a ton of fun. The water is clear/clean and cold. Fish and Game stocks the lake with a couple thousand rainbows the second week of July each year, so you'll almost always have 12" fish to catch during the hiking season, but nothing much bigger. Beautiful lake with very interesting sheer rock feature at the back of it.

We hiked this on 7/11, you can park at the trailhead now, it's not blocked by snow. Lots of wildflowers on the drive and hiking up. Rope swing worth trying. very short and easy hike.

We went early in the morning, beautiful and quiet! It is an easy hike, we were able to do it in our sandals! For those that want to do it, I recommend getting your feet wet, and to go before noon because that’s when a lot of people start showing up!

Mon Jun 24 2019

Great hike! Right now the gate to get to the trail head is closed. It’s about 2.5-3.0 mile hike from the gate to the trail head. When you get to the trail head there is snow! Right now you hike in the snow pretty much from the trail head to the lake. Super pretty! It was a great hike, but I’m sure there would be less snow if any in late July/August!

rock climbing
Sun Oct 07 2018

always a great time in this beautiful little spot of serenity and fun. little bit of every thing; hiking, rock climbing, swimming, rope swinging into the lake, Cliff diving, camping.

Mon Sep 24 2018

my husband and I went a few years ago and loved it! it is such a beautiful place. However, I remember the road being horrible. is it bad right now? I would like to take my minivan if I can, instead of my truck.

Sat Sep 22 2018

This was a fun family hike and the lake is beautiful, nestled in a canyon bowl.

Fri Sep 07 2018

Fun and beautiful

Tue Sep 04 2018

it was amazing

Sat Aug 18 2018

I've been want to go for sometime. It was mich more than I expected. view was great. kids loved the rope swing.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Breathtaking scenery, easy trail. Not a lot of shade. Glacier lake at the end with a rope swing if you dare!

Mon Aug 13 2018

This is a fun hike for the entire family.

Thu Aug 09 2018

Loved this hike!!! The lake was so much fun!

Sat Aug 04 2018

Very easy trail. Bloomington Lake is very beautiful. Lot of people at the lake but what a beautiful little setting.