Big Trees Trail Loop

Big Trees Trail Loop is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 702 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail starts at the Packsaddle Trailhead on East Creekwood Court. It continues up the Big Trees Trail, also known as the Bud Howard Trail, or Trail 29. The map shown here has the hiker making a loop and coming back down, but hikers can continue up to West Canfield Butte. This area is within the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. Be on the lookout for mountain bikes and motorcycles as this area is heavily used by them. Users have reported that trails in this area are poorly marked.

Pretty steep climb up but it's beautiful all the way up. Not too many people. Will definitely do again but continue to Canfield West Butte

Hiked this trail at the end of January. So far this has been my toughest hike (I’m a rookie hiker). It’s only difficult because the trail was absolutely covered in ice. I think it would have been much better in the spring. As for the views, there isn’t much to look at. You walk around on a skinny trail on the side of a hill. I wouldn’t recommend coming here unless you are close by or are looking to cross another hike off the list. I should also mention the return portion of the trail is a bit hard to find. I logged 2.77 miles.

Perfect day for a hike! Literally everyday of this January has been incrediblely warm leaving no excuses for not enjoying the scenery.

This is a nice trail to test your legs, if you live nearby. I'm not sure I would travel too far out of the way to hike this. I hiked it on Christmas Day. The trail was dusted with snow, and had ice beneath it in the shaded areas. I can see Canfield Mountain from my back deck, and it is getting a heavy hammering of snow at this very moment.

Sunday, June 03, 2018