Big Tree Trail via North Nettleton Gulch Road

Big Tree Trail via North Nettleton Gulch Road is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Please Note: Parking is no longer available on East Crestwood Court. Visitors interested in the Big Tree Trail can park at the North Nettleton Gulch Road Trailhead.

This is a technical strenuous moderate mountain bike ride. We started the trail from the Packsaddle area and climbed up to the top then rode down to the parking lot and out. The climb was more than I was used to and there were numerous root and rock steps to navigate. Not heavily trafficked but did run into hikers, trail runners and other mountain bikers on the trail. The trail is quite narrow in places. The trail marking isn’t as clear as I would have liked so bring a map with you. The weather finally cooled down a bit which was nice.

This trail on the north side of Canfield Mountain in good condition. I parked at crescent court as there is nothing posted at the entry prohibiting parking. There were four other vehicles. Takes about 90 minutes to get to the top of Canfield mountain. No motorized traffic allowed. Careful not to take any trail spurs.

East Crestwood Court is a public street off of Packsaddle Drive, which is also public. This parking is about 234 feet higher in elevation than the parking at Nettleton Gulch and it is much closer to the top of Mt Canfield. Take trail 29 from Crestwood to Canfield Loop Rd to the top, This avoids the most of the mountain bikes and motorcycles you may find near Nettleton Gulch.

With starting at the new trail head I would avoid it now. So many dirt bikes just not a super safe spot to start with pets. The people on the bikes hardly pay attention to which trails they are not allowed on. Wouldn't recommend now :/

04/18/2018-We started at Crestwood Court. The trail was in good shape. Two blow downs right before the Big Tree. Shortly after Big Tree the snow got very deep and numerous blow downs. We couldn’t make it to the Forrest service road to go up to the tower. Other hikers reported moose and bear on the trail past Big Tree. Still, we were able to hike 3.4 miles and gain 1,000 feet in elevation.

Great trail was mixed between ice and hard pack.

I did this hike today (Jan 29) and did not see anyone else. Description above is wrong. There is no river. RT to road is 6 miles. Big tree is about 1.5 mi from start. First part of trail was bare. Near top I was sinking up to my knees every once in a while. Spikes recommended for icy grades. Very nice views along route of Hayden Lake and mts north of Spokane.

Beautiful views, was really icy though and nearly slipped off the trail a couple of times. Going to wear micro spikes the next time!

Great day in the woods playing in the snow, deep in parts but doable without snow shoes :)

Trail was snow packed already so we just wore our boots and headed up. Nice little climb and beautiful on a bluebird winter day. Took the switch back up and took an indent back that went straight down along the ridge. I've never been here before so not sure if we were on a designated trail but it all went back to the same place eventually. We saw a lot of deer tracks but didn't see animal or person the whole journey. If you love icy wisps and snowy pines I'd recommend bringing your camera or phone. Great little close-by if you don't want to drive too far.

Great trail. Easy to access right outside Coeur d’Alene. The trail on this side of Canfield is clearly marked and- unlike the other side- dirt bikers are not allowed so the trail is not muddy. Conditions were great today. You are covered in trees the entire trail. There is one overlook and then the end is just when you hit the NFS road. Could be ideal for trail running too with good inclines along the way.

There are two routes. Switch back that go gradual up or a shorter steeper route. Very nice well maintained trail. You park in a nice high end neighborhood. One of the top 10 near CDA.

This is a pretty good hike and can be challenging. set aside a handful if hours for sure. If you go in winter I highly suggest snow shoes once you get past the big tree if you continue to the peak. Still a wonderful view if you go to the Big tree.

This trail was awesome and a challenge, we attempted to get to the top while kids were in school but we did not succeed as we only have from 12:45-3:20. We talked about coming back every week to keep trying. Thought this would be a fun idea until we had to walk down, I mean slide down, lol, I fell on my butt three times. Yes I was wearing sneakers but even my hubby in his trail boots had a slip. Now i'm a little timid. I will return when I'm shoed for the part:) until then.....

I think I took the wrong turn once I reached the service road, but it was still a decent hike with some limited views of the lake as you climbed

The power was out in Hayden, this morning, so rather than sit and tell myself ghost stories until sunlight, I headed for Big Tree Trail. I came up the mountain at 5:30 am, in the dark. As I write this, I am sitting on the log beneath the big tree. In spite of the wind and rain last night, it is a beautiful morning. There were a few fallen branches across the trail, but I've cleared them. The morning is splendid! I am happy to be alive!

Completed this trail yesterday. Started out morning at 32 degrees. Definitely about 9 miles total. There were a few switch backs, but for the most part steady incline. About 3 miles in the trail tees into a service road. You need to take a hard right before road to a trail marked “D”. You will then have another mile to top. You then need to continue on a short piece to the communication tower. This is where the best views are.Definitely worth the trip.

Never found the "river."

Moderate hike up the north and west side of Canfield with views of Hayden Lake and the Rathdrum Prarie. Well maintained trail, some switchbacks at the start, but it evens out to a gradual incline. We went to the end of the trail and then took the dirt road to the top of Canfield to views of the lake to the South, then back down Trail D to the Bud Howard trail. Total of 7.3 miles. Total hiking time was about 3 hours.

The trail is pretty with a couple of lookouts over the lake. If you want to reach a look out at the end of the trail you have to hike up on a different trail a few more miles. This trial that the tracking shows just ends at a road with options to continue further for the lookout.

Saw some black bear cubs on the trail

We hiked to the top for the great view, which brought our total mileage to just over 7 miles. Great trail!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Nice trail for jogging!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Nice hike up and back. Luckily, didn't see Mama Bear and cub.

Friday, July 21, 2017

nice walk

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Little Birthday hike by myself Sunday July 2nd morning. Beautiful hike. Lots of shade cover so not too hot. Lots of people out and back, even at 7:30am, but still serene. Strong hike. Definitely continue past the "trail end" for the 0.9 mile hike to the top.

Monday, July 03, 2017

We had a big group going with several dogs and various levels of hiking ability and everyone enjoyed it! The trail does split off in a variety of different directions but we stayed right the first time, and then took the trails that seemed more gradual and less steep. It was a longer hike, but everyone was able to make it to the top. The views are pretty good as well!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Great spot. Not too busy of trails. Plenty of options.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

This was a fun day hike, kind of a hidden gem right in our own backyard. There are some good climbs but the view is well worth it. It would be fun to snowshoe in the winter.

Side note: make sure to keep your dog leashed until you get on the trail or else you'll get a note on your car from the house across the street.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I love this trail! Definitely a good more uphill (ish) hike but totally enjoyable. I love the views that you get at random places along the trail, it's so beautiful!!