Beehive Lakes

Beehive Lakes is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Sandpoint, Idaho and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2086 feet

In a sedan, I was able to access the trail with not more than a little trouble on the forest service road on the way in--Harrison would, however, have been quite dicey without some serious snow tires. The trail still has a good bit of snow on it in a number of spots. The only tracks I saw were moose, so I may have been the first hiker on it this spring/summer... or at least in a while. I was able to find and then follow the trail for the first bit, though some of it was completely snow-covered (3 or 4 feet in spots). I went up about 2.25 miles, and after the trail became again completely snow-covered, I could no longer tell where it was at all, so I turned back. This was a disappointment, but I don't know the trail well, and I was alone, so it was a prudent decision.

From what I recall of a previous visit, the lake at the top is a worthy payoff.

Fun trail with some with some pathfinding on a bare faced granite slope about halfway up. The trail is absolutely doable for less physically fit individuals (like me!) just make sure to take ample breaks. The lake was extremely cold in mid September but provides a rewarding dip if you so choose. Campsites are large but I only found 3 suitable sites (more adventurous folk may find more). Scramble up the granite slate field to the top of the nearest peak for breathtaking views of Beehive and Little Harrison lakes and the surrounding mountains, but only do so if that is within your comfort level! I recommend spending the night on the mountain as the surrounding area is well worth exploring in the morning!

The hike to Beehive Lakes is splendid. The trailhead is easy enough to find. There is ample parking, though it was nearly filled to the brim on this fine Sunday. Others like me, had decided to take advantage of the last vestiges of summer, to get a peek of Beehive Lake. I met some lovely people on the trail, and had some nice chats.

The weather was as pleasant as one might expect. It was a fusion of seasons. The waning summer sun shone as brightly as it could. The foliage of autumn adorned the trail. And Susy Snowflake had decorated the way for us.

The trail does not present any ambiguity as to how your route will proceed. Up is the direction this trail quickly goes, near-unremitting ascent, punctuated only periodically with a few patches of mercifully-level track. The first 3.2 miles of the trail is clearly discernible, transitioning to a climb up bare-faced granite, with only rock cairns to occasionally mark the right way. Although there is not any semblance of a trail on this rocky scramble, up is the direction you will need to go. (Please note: Pay attention to the point where the trail connects to the rock, it will save you a bit of searching on your way back down.)

The lake was glorious on this day, reflecting the mountain peaks as a silver mirror. Snow dusted the surrounding cliffs, and the shore had about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.

No doubt, Lady Winter shall soon spread her bridal veil across Beehive Lake, and snow shoes will soon be in order. For now, the hiking is fine!

great track and rewarding beautiful swim at the end, continue on up from there to little Harrison lake. well worth it

Even with the smoke in the air, this was still a beautiful hike. Hopped over the ridge to the north and went down into the northern Beehive Lake, there was a little waterfall there. The only negative about this area, is that it seems a little too popular for my tastes, there were 3 other groups at the lake in the middle of the week. There is a bear box at the lake for food storage.

This was a great lake to hike to. It was not strenuous in any areas but it did provide some good exercise especially with our packs on. Some trail advice that was given to us by another hiker in passing, when you get to the large granite slabs, follow the stacked rocks. When you look up, you will see them as you head towards the lake. The stacks of rocks provide markers for efficient trail routes. We camped out on the West side of the lake which offered seclusion and a view. though this is bear country, we did not encounter any. always be prepared though.

Only made it 4 miles up and back because we had young children. Will be hiking all the way to the lake though soon. Be bear aware as we encountered a black bear. Make lots of noise around blind corners.

We did this hike on 7/09/17. Little bit of snow at the top but not bad at all. Took us about 2 hours to go up and 1.5 hours to come back down. It was hot during the day, so I wish we would've started earlier in the morning (we started at 10am). The lake is refreshing and the breeze up there is nice, though. Gorgeous lake. Will definitely do again!

challenging but worth it! lake is finally free from snow except along some of its borders. ice cold and so refreshing after all those switchbacks in the sun. took us 2 hours at a steady pace to the top and 1.5 back down. make a lot of noise--the brush is thick and there are a lot of blind corners.

nice trail, we hit snow at the top. lake still has a ton of ice and snow.

Amazing! Though a trek, absolutely worth the hike. When I got to the top (late July) there was still a little bit of snow but that didn't stop our group from polar plunging into the lake to beat the summer's heat.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

great trail, did it in October so it was difficult at times to navigate because there was alot of snow. can't wait to do it in the summer.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Good hike! Great views!

Monday, August 08, 2016

Popular trail, for all the right reasons.

The views from the second half of this trail are great. Take in the valley and adjacent peaks/ridges. All the exposed granite in this area is unique to look at. Beehive lake itself is also quite beautiful. Walking on the granite in this area is pretty awesome when it is not icy. The traction is great and its fun.

The trail head is easy to drive to and find. The roads are in good condition and it is signed. Upper pack river road is frequently traveled and generally well maintained. It leads to trail heads for several trails.

There are camp sites both at the trail head and by the lakes. A couple camp sites I saw were quite large, enough for a half dozen tents probably. Although there seems to be a lot of people wanting to camp up there, so don't count on the site being vacant.

The distance to the first camp site at the southern lake was just under 4 miles from the trail head on my GPS.

Monday, July 25, 2016

We hiked on 7/23/16. Trail is great, the only snow was on the high peaks. The lake is gorgeous, too cold to jump in still. Make sure after mile 3 to start looking for the smaller lake below- hard to see through the trees.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Attempted backpacking trail however it was raining and then turned to pouring then turned to snowing. We made it too the lake which was still mostly covered in ice with about 4' of snow around it. We just turned around it booked it down as we didn't have our winter camping gear with us. Beautiful hike but it was still a little early this year.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

It was really a pretty hike a lot more challenging than I had anticipated.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Beautiful hike. Saw a bear on our drive up to the trailhead. Took us 2 hrs up & 1 hr down.

Friday, September 11, 2015

One of my favorites in the Selkirk range, this hike has great views of Twin peak and if you hike up to the ridge a great view of Priest lake. The trail has some steep portions towards the end on a granite slope which is well marked by kerns. A GPS would be the safest bet here if descending in the night time as it would be easy to miss where the trail goes left (north) at the base of the granite slope. A bear box is here for storing food over night, and there are a handful of camp sites (perhaps 4 or 5).

Monday, May 25, 2015

Did not expect to run into as much snow as we did. Given the light snowfall this year we were not sure what to expect. The lake was still frozen over and there was probably 4-6ft of snow covering all of the area around the lake. The trail was in great shape with only a few parts covered with snow. We only ran into one major downed tree towards the beginning.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Excellent hike to a fantastic lake surrounded by granite peaks and boulder fields. A casual hike in took 3 hours and the hike out took 2. Lots of big huckleberries about 1/2 way up the mountain. Though we didn't see any bear sign during our overnight I'd recommend you stay smart about the potential as the trail works through some brush fields and large berry patches. There is a large shared bear box on the ground just up the small hill to the left of the trail right as you arrive at the lake. There are 5-6 nice campsites around the east side of the lake with relatively flat areas for a tent and fire rings. It takes about 1 hour to hike from the lake up to the surrounding ridges where you'll get a fantastic view. Lake has some small trout. Very scenic area that is a lot of fun to wander around and explore. This is a popular spot, and we did encounter a loud and obnoxious group of guys who made noise most of the night and then ran into 13 different hikers coming in on a Saturday when we were leaving.... so unless you go mid-week, don't expect much solitude.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The hike into Beehive Lakes is nice. Challenging, beautiful and well worth the hike. We camped at the trailhead the first night because we arrived about 6pm. Great campsite there with a nice river flowing by. We left the morning to hike into Beehive Lakes. We had 3 families with us, including kids ages 10-14 who carried their own overnight backpacks. The hike took us about 3 hours to get there, including a few rests and snacks for the kids, and us too. There are about 5 campsites located at the first Beehive Lake, the first one is obvious and the others are a bit hidden but worth searching for located on the east side of the lake. The kids were excited to have discovered a half buried storage chest (bear box) with treats left for them! Our time at Beehive was amazing! The dads did a day hike up to the north ridge which overlooks the other Beehive Lake. The second day we all hiked to the west ridge, lots of boulder hopping, amazing views the entire way and cool landscape discoveries too. Once at the top, the west ridge line view is breathtaking in every direction, it's looks at Priest Lake, however very high, about 1,000 foot drop if I remember correctly from what I've read. BE CAREFUL! We didn't catch any fish but saw lots jumping. This hike could also be a good day hike for adults. I don't think our kiddos could have done it in one day. Overall we loved this hike and the beauty it shared with us.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Access this trailhead off of Upper Pack River Rd. Initially you will climb fairly steep switchbacks and break out into a rocky area as you approach the lake. Lake is very picturesque with decent camping spots on the near side. Occasional bears so keep your food away from camp and hung high; especially during huckleberry season. Lake is stocked but lack of food keeps trout fairly small. Nice views.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

This was a great trip that we took a group of experienced scouts up for a weekend campout. Pretty step with packs on but well worth it once you arrive at the upper lake. Beatiful views, bring lots of bug spray though.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Trail is fairly steep through forests and brush. Just under the main lake you will break out into a little more open ground. Very nice views. Beautiful lake, decent fishing. For a cross country experience, you can go over the ridge to the north of the lake. Little Beehive/Harrison (seems like it's called two different things) is on the other side. Be wary though.. there are cliffs on that side! Must be a good route-finder for this-Compass and map would be great things to have.