Bear Creek Hot Springs

Bear Creek Hot Springs is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Irwin, Idaho that features hot springs and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

2080 feet

hot springs

If you are looking for a challenging and wet adventure hike, this is it! You will have to cross several parts of the river depending on how many detours you choose to take. The river ranges from knee deep to waist deep (at least when we went on June 3rd). Be cautious. Other than the river, the hike is quite easy until you reach the last mile before turning back. The last mile is mostly straight up before reaching the spring.

Part of the trail is difficult to see because of the river volume (at least when we went). For this reason, I highly recommend getting AllTrails! I'm not sure we would have made it all the way if we didn't use this app. There are many trails that lead away from the destination.

Great hike! Great App! Have fun, but be safe!

Loved it

Well used, rugged trail. We backpacked in with our kids. Not a lot of shade at the first half of the hike. It was nice that it followed the stream the whole way for refilling our water. Set up camp right next to the hot spring. If I were to do it again with kids, I would hike the 6 miles, then camp at the bottom of the mountain and hike the last 1.5 miles up the mountain in the morning.

Friday, October 09, 2015

Great hot spring and hike. We were fortunate to have the camp ground to our selves over night, Friday before Labor Day. On the way out we saw about 12 people on horses heading in. There is a fresh water spring nearby as well. I've included a link of our maps. We had quite an adventure getting there, but it was well worth it. There were 15 water crossings about 12 were calf deep.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Hiked this with a group of scouts. Saw a river otter on the way up. Great trail conditions. Had several river crossings so take sandals. The last push up to the hot springs was difficult. Calves still sore three days after. Hot springs were nice but after hiking straight up was too hot to sit in but the runoff into a cold spring was perfect. Large camping area by springs but heavily used and lots of trash. Overall a great hike.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Friday, July 26, 2013

I have hiked and dirt biked this trail. I love it! Dirt bike route keeps you out of the creek which is nice. Now I just need to MTN bike it :)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Monday, August 06, 2012

Great trail! Take a fishing pole. Awesome hot tub at end of hike! Perfect place to camp! hard to find for first timers must cross creek 7 or 8 times. Can get deep. we take horses and it still makes for long days! lots of wildlife we've seen moose elk deer and mountain lion! Dog friendly. also excess able by a motorcycle!