Aldous and Hancock Lakes

Aldous and Hancock Lakes is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spencer, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Heavily wooded trail to Beautiful Alpine Lakes As the pictures show, Aldous Lake is a great family hike. Although most use this as a day hike, it is also an excellent overnight hike for the younger hikers. Dense forests, beautiful Ching creek, wildlife and great fishing combine to make this a trip the kids will never forget. Area boy scouts have made great improvements around Aldous lake for their Eagle Scout projects. Excellent camp tables and metal fire rings have been installed by these fine young men in discreet locations for the enjoyment of all. The trail from Aldous to Hancock becomes more difficult and Hancock lake is entirely different from Aldous. High in a basin near the continental divide, Hancock is surrounded by boulders and rocks. Camping spots are limited around Hancock.

Overall this was a pretty hike and camp but a few warnings: the bugs were absolutely terrible and gps had a hard time getting me there. I live in Idaho Falls and two different ways, gps wanted me to turn on a road that was private property. It was a struggle but I figured it out. Parking is good and the trail is well maintained but my goodness I have never seen so many horse flies and mosquitoes and this is coming from someone that grew up on a horse farm with mosquito breeding ponds. I was covered in spray and it didn’t help. My poor dogs have blood blisters all over them from all the bites. The entire hike we were just in a swarm. It was hard to enjoy the hike. We then camped. There are really nice camping spots with tables, bear boxes, and fire pits. I lit a fire in hopes of getting rid of bugs. Nope. We ended up hiding out in the tent the rest of the evening. It was very pretty but I probably wouldn’t recommend to anyone until bugs are dead.

We backpacked up to Hancock Lake. Saw a bull moose on the way up. I think that there are two trails to Aldous Lake and we accidentally took the wrong one on the way down. Had to bushwhack it for 30 minutes to get on the correct trail.

The hike up to Aldous Lake was easy and the lake was beautiful. The tall pines we're fantastic and well worth the trip by themselves. Hancock Lake, the upper lake, was much more difficult to get to, but was still a great hike. Well worth the extra effort.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

This trail was still packed with snow and lots of obstacles blocking the path along the way, which made it easy to lose the trail and get lost. We still made it to the top and the lake is beautiful! Looking forward to doing this again later in the season.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Beautiful! The hike begins past the Continental Divide sign, just FYI. I only went to Aldous Lake. Only saw one other person.

Monday, July 18, 2016

We hiked this trail with our kids and they all made it and really enjoyed it! The trail was in good shape and has nice picnic tables and bathrooms at the trailhead. I would absolutely go again, we found it to be a very fun hike.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Great weekend trip. Over the weekend we saw a cow moose and calf, a snowshoe hare, a couple rock chucks, plenty of chipmunks, and even caught a decent sized cutthroat. All in all a fun, easy trip for a great weekend.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Good family hike. The trail to Aldous lake is a nice family hike. The sign near the trailhead says it's 1.3 miles to Aldous Lake. I'd say it's about 1.5 miles or a little more. It's a good 40 minute hike. Aldous Lake is nice. We stopped there for a snack. The trail to Aldous lake is fairly busy. Hiking from Aldous to Hancock you will find a lot more solitude. It's about another 40 minutes up to Hancock, but the trail is not in great shape. There is a lot of loose gravel and the trail has some sections that are 10-12% grade. My 3 year made it, but only with a lot of hand-holding. The views at Hancock Lake are much better than Aldous lake, but Aldous Lake itself is a much prettier lake.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Hiked this trail in June when the wildflowers were in full bloom - absolutely gorgeous. Both lakes are beautiful. Don't forget the bug spray in June though, we were almost eaten alive by Mosquitos.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

This was a spectacular hike. I can't believe I've lived here in Rexburg for 4 years and just found out about this hike. It is about an hour and a half drive from Rexburg through Kilgore and then a perfect 45 min hike to Aldous Lake (we did not go to Hancock, but probably about another 30-40 mins). The lake is gorgeous, we saw moose tracks and bear markings. Some fish were visible in the lake even. Wonderful scenery, great camping sites, perfect day hike too.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Beautiful hike. There were a lot of people at the lower lake when I went but the upper lake was quiet and crystal clear. Very refreshing to swim in. Getting to the upper lake is mostly uphill but not very long. The trailhead is marked for the continental divide trail but a little ways down the trail it directs you to the left for the lakes.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Great little hike. My kids loved this trail when we lived in Idaho. Come prepared. We got caught in a snowstorm in late June. Both lakes have fish and the trail is part of the CDT.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016