Alderman Mine

Alderman Mine is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boise, Idaho and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

50 minutes ago

I took this hike with the 2yo on my back, 4 kids and two dogs in tow. I would rate the trail as moderate with children and summer heat. It got a little too warm and the kids started to burn out so we turned back before hitting the mine. There were lots of Mormon crickets along the way. Trail is a bit overgrown in the middle at some parts and has medium sized hills.
We will be heading back earlier in the day next time. Despite not reaching the end we still had a great time.

This was an easy hike with a mostly gradual climb. The mine building is really neat to see, very intact. There was a huge bird nest inside! The Mormon crickets were everywhere, which took away a lot of the enjoyment of this hike. You could hear them in the brush and the trail was covered with them.

Sunday, April 14, 2013