Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail

Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wiliwilinui is about 4.8 miles long and located near Wailupe, Hawaii. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

This is an easy hike to get great views, you’ll find a few steep areas but the trail is easy to follow and has steps to guide you along. There is one section with rope for those who would want it but it isn’t needed. It took just over an hour to get to the top, unfortunately clouds rolled in and the view was quickly blocked. I’ll definitely be hiking this one again.

Great hike with awesome views at the top. Lots of steps / stairs on this one.

My favorite hike on Oahu. I’ve done three peaks, Tom Tom trail, Koko Head and few other difficult hikes and would rate this as my favorite. Make sure you don’t go on a cloudy day or you will not be able to see the north side of Oahu on the summit. Towards the top it’s difficult and requires you to be in good shape and requires a little rope climbing with stairs at the top. Make sure it’s been dry.

Awesome

Loved the views at the top. Small section near top where you may have to use a rope for 5 metres or so. Very easy for anyone moderately coordinated :)

I have no idea how this hike was ever rated as moderate, it is for sure difficult. The first half of trail is moderate; there is some incline but the trail
is wide and it isn’t too challenging. The second half of the hike is basically straight up many flights of dilapidated steps, some of which you have to pull yourself up with a rope. We had blue skies so the sun was beating down on us which made the climbing much more challenging. There was only one part in the beginning that was slightly muddy but I can see how it would be near impossible to do if it had just rained. To do the second half you must have trail shoes. The view is well worth it but this hike is not for the faint of heart (if you’re afraid of heights) or inexperienced/out of shape hiker.

I went Saturday morning the weather is perfect awesome view , it’s a really nice hike, I love I wouldn’t mind to go back again. But my advice don’t go hike if it rain the day before because it’s gonna be muddy unless you want to get mud all over you otherwise it’s a great hike.

Nice trail. Steep going uphill, muddy in certain areas ( recommend trail shoes), beautiful views! At one point you have to use the rope to get up. Took around 3 1/2 hours to complete.

Probably would be useful to have spikes as there was a lot of mud/slippery areas. View towards the end is pretty great. Don't recommend when it's wet, I hate mud.

Incredible views! Do only when dry. Hands down my favorite Oahu hike!

fun little hike. too bad it rained at the top.

I was not sure how this hike would turn out due to the noticeably clouds atop the ridges. Seeing that the trades were blowing nicely, I presumed the clouds would thin out. But I was wrong. The hike turned rainy as I was 20 minutes away. At that point it was decisions time and I trudged through the tricky/slippery trail to the top. The view was all cloudy and white, but another hiker was at the top and we shared stories of life. I will do this hike again as it was a nice one for runners (I ran off and on in spots). I can imagine how the view would be, as like the others it's own perspective on the aina.
There were a good number of hikers out even despite the damp conditions.

If you have the grit to climb the myriad steep stairs that dominate the 2nd half of this beautiful trail, you'll be rewarded with one of the best views of the South Shore around.

What a beautiful hike! It's uphill going in but super easy leaving; the whole trail took me roughly 3hrs. My dog had a little bit of a problem at one point but it turned out fine. Definitely wear hiking boots!

Great hike!! There were challenges along the way, but that made it all the more exciting and rewarding. There was a rope section. The views are the best on the island! Some parts early on were shaded.

ive been on 10+ hikes in oahu and this is by far one of the best hikes. the views are amazing. it can get challenging as you reach the stairs. there is one part where you will need to use a rope to climb up but its more for when you are coming back down. i took my dog (50lbs)and she was able to get through the whole hike. i wouldnt recommend bringing small dogs unless you are going to be carrying them alot. it started getting cold as we got to the top but the breeze felt good cause we we sweat climbimg up the steep incline. recommend good hiking shoes..not running shoes. there is a bench at the halfway mark before you start the stair portion.

I loved it. Super muddy at times and my wife slipped on the way down so be careful. But it was absolutely beautiful.

Guard check-in is required, but lets you know how many car loads are on the trail. Strenuous but not dangerous hike. Great views. 2-3 hours round trip depending on group and pace of course.

Very pretty and moderate hike. The second half of the hike is very steep with a lot of stairs. But a gorgeous view of the east / north side of the island. Bring a lot of water. And go when it hasn't rained recently. I could imagine it wouldn't be a fun hike with the mud.

favorite hike on the island!! Views are out of this world