Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

Great, rewarding, steep hike. If you go on a partly cloudy or cloudy day you will only see mist towards the tops of the ridges and not much of a view. When you reach the set of stairs and think you’re done, you’re not. When you next think you’re done, nope, keep going. Ah, finally! You have reached the top. Just kidding another false alarm! I think the last 45 minutes up we kept thinking we MUST have reached the top as there were no other higher peaks around us. The clouds are deceiving. We plan to go back on a sunny day. A few parts with ropes but you don’t really need them to climb. I would recommend this hike

This ridge hike on east Oahu shares many similiar features and views with other hikes nearby like Waahila-Olympus, Ka’au Crater, Mau’umae/Lanipo, Wailupe Ridge, Hawaii Loa Ridge, Kulepeamoa Ridge, Kuliou’ou Ridge ( both east and west), Hahaione ( there are several ways to do hike this), Kamiloiki Ridge, Mariners Ridge ( closed) and Kamehame Ridge ( need permit). You can also start from the Makapuu Lookout and hike along the Koolau Summit via the Makapuu Tom Tom trail which passes the Makapuu Puka. These are just some of the more popular ones on east Oahu.

Give about 3-3.5 hrs to complete this hike.

This one was a little tough especially since I Uber there and the driver would only take me so far. But it was all worth it for the amazing views that this trail provided. I would do it again!

Fantastic and fun Hike. View at the top doesn’t disappoint.

Amazing hike this is one of the best hikes I have been on however this hike is a little muddy and don’t bring young children.

Very muddy, slippery and a bit of a scramble near the top but the views were so worth it!! Just be prepared to get dirty.

Great hike !! Did it early on 11/21 and only ran into a little mud. Kinda slippery and some stairs are sketchy but overall pretty easy. 10/10 would do again! Views were breathtaking.

Trail was a lot of fun. It took me about 3 hours with some stoppage for breaks and pictures! The first mile and a half was pretty standard although expect a lot of incline walking. Once you reach the staircases you’ve got about .75 miles left but it’s mainly uphill from there.

This was my first time hiking this trail and I really didn’t expect to literally be climbing up the side of a mountain. It was a pretty dry day and on the way up I was definitely glad that I had worn hiking boots (a bit of grip) cloud cover came in so it started to rain on my way down and my boots were a godsend!

It took us less than 3 hours to complete the trail and we would definitely recommend it. We really enjoyed the views and especially hiking on the ridge of the mountain. The trail is really muddy. It gets a little challenging at some point but not that difficult.

SUPER muddy, wet, slippery hike. Easy for the first mile +, then lots of washed out stairs. Worth every step and fall through the mud once you reach the 360 view at the top.

Expect to get super dirty. I’m not sure how bad it is when it hasn’t rained in a few weeks, but some spots are all mud due to no sunlight through the trees.

Go to the top peak. Make it up the steep straits and use the ropes. It’s worth it!

BE CAREFUL GOING DOWN! Super slick. Expect to fall ALOT. Awesome hike as long as you’re okay with being muddy :)

Locals supposedly say this is the one of the best views of the entire island and I can definitely see why. The views at the top are gorgeous and you literally get to see a 360 degree panoramic view of the entire island of Oahu.

The trailhead is located in an affluent neighborhood which kind of reminded me of Beverly Hills houses. The trail starts off in a forest with trees overarching each other and after a few miles it becomes quite an adventure with you ascending up steep and muddy staircases. There's even a section where you need to use a rope to help pull yourself up the stairs.

This trail is so lush and green throughout that it will have you constantly looking in awe of your surroundings. There was alot of mosquitoes/gnats on this trail so recommend that you bring your spray or have long pants and long sleeves while doing this. It became quite annoying. When you get to the top near the antenna, make sure to keep going just a bit further where you will find a bench with the most amazing viewpoint. Be careful on the descent down as alot of the trail is slippery because of the mud!

- @justroc @just.trek

The first mile is a dirt road which helps a whole lot. The next 1.5 miles is challenging but not difficult. The challenge is climbing so many steps. It takes a lot of endurance. The view looking back to the city was fantastic. Unfortunately, the clouds settled in towards the top. There was no view from the top. Worth doing if you want exercise and a challenging hike.

Awesome hike. The views are great.

We did this yesterday, 10/5/18. This was my third or fourth hike and absolutely loved this. It was fairly difficult for me as well as my friends but challenging difficult not danger difficult. The stairs are plentiful and the trail itself is well kept. Some of the stairs are difficult for short legs. All in all it was 100% worth every min!!

Went with some friends about a month ago. It was a bit of a challenge due to some rain, but when we got to the top, the clouds cleared for a minute, and the view was amazing. It stared raining on the way back down, and we were a mess of mud. Really fun trail.

Great hike with lots of shade. The end is a bit tricky, but worth the view. We went on a day that was fairly overcast. Not for the faint of heart, be ready to climb towards the end.

Best hike on Oahu! Loved the views

Challenging, but a great experience. You meet other friendly group of hikers who are willing to help you out-especially at that point where you need to use the rope to help you ascend this steep/wide gap in the stairs! This is worth the hike!

I did this hike on a rainy day during a weekday, I’m sure it’d be twice as amazing on a dry day. The hike itself is a great challenge. I did it solo, it gets challenging near the end but I met a couple of adventurers already at the top who helped me along the way. It was good challenge and I’d definitely do it again if I had more time.

lauu

An alternate way without going through security is starting the hike from Wailupe valley,and climb steeply till you hit the dirt road before the start of the steps.

I have hiked many trails in Hawaii and this view and trail is an all time favorite. The view I like even more then the super popular diamond head and koko head trails. You will hike all the way up the mountain where there is usually a big cloud of fog but if you go on a clear day the 360 view is just amazing. Its about 3 hours round trip if you take time to enjoy the views. When I first did the trail I was confused because the only way to get there is through a security gate in a private residential area. Turns out you need to go up to him tell him you are there for the trail, give your id and receive a one day pass. There is no other route to go to get there. It will get muddy but the path is wide enough such that if you position yourself properly you will likely just slip and get dirty as opposed to falling to your death. This is a must do trail here it should be full 5 stars.

Took us 1.5 hrs to reach the end of trail. A bit on the cloudy side. We could see ( with my telephoto lens) tanks and amphibious vehicles all along Bellows Beach and the tarmac area. It must be the RIMPAC exercise going on at the present moment. Quite a good cardio workout and its been awhile since we came up here the last time in 2016.
Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is very similiar to Hawaii Loa Ridge , Kuli’ou’ou Ridge Trail and Mariner’s Ridge ( closed). A longer version of these are the Waahila Ridge Trail to Awa’awa’loa or Olympus and Mau’umae Trail to Lanipo.

great hike overall. close to Honolulu, moderately challenging (lots of stairs), decently maintained trail, and great views along the way and at the summit. to get to the trailhead you need to get a pass from the gate which requires a valid ID from the driver and caps the number of people on the trail. can get a little slick when it rains. at a decent pace around 2 hours but closer to 3-4 if you need to take the stairs slowly or long breaks

first one out, got to top around 8:15am. passed around 20 groups on the way back down. it was a perfect day for this hike - trail was dry, slow and steady breeze kept it cool, and clouds were high enough at the top to see the full 360. stairs are the worst but the view at the top makes it worth it.

We hiked this on a beautiful, breezy day with cloudy skies and no rain. I would not do it on a rainy day. Even on a nice day, there were some muddy and slippery spots that resulted in falls. We took our 2 small dogs and 2 school age children.
The first part of the trail is smooth and shady, which lulls you into a false sense of security. After the bench with the bike rack, that's when the fun starts. So. Many. Stairs.
And this is now one of my top 3 favorite hikes! I am so glad we went to the summit. The view is the best I have seen, with so many sides of the island to observe. I never felt unsafe on the ridge and it is my first ridge hike.
We took our time and had to carry the dogs at certain points that required rope use. This hike took us about 6 hours total and the one thing I would do differently is to bring more water. We brought 6 liters and next time we will probably bring 10.

I did this trail on october 2017. It was a sunny day. Good trail, only few people along. Amazing view at the top, not so difficult. Some slippery muddy point. Suggested.

Great views along the way!

doesnt get challenging until the last 3/4 mile or so as it gets very steep..i consider myself a very athletic hiker but there were a couple areas towards the top which were sketchy, just take your time..cloudy overcast this morning with strong winds so i didnt get the full view from the top but still cool..get there early on the weekends, sunday isn’t as bad as they only allow 30 vehicle passes at a time..trying to figure out how they put that big electrical building thats fenced off at the top

Hot and fairly exposed for the bottom half of the trail while following the power line, wear sunscreen. The second half of the trail was all in the clouds, so we didn't get much of a view, but it was still a fun hike. Some parts of the trail are pretty washed out, despite the erosion control. But there are ropes in all the places that you would need them. Crampons were very helpful.