West Loch Community Shoreline Park Trail

West Loch Community Shoreline Park Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ewa Beach, Hawaii that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and birding and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Paved walking and bike path passed Pearl Harbor National Wildlife Refuge's Honouliuli Unit and West Loch golf course terminating at the community park. Quiet, hidden neighborhood bike path with 1/4 mile markers, marshy and forested areas, small bridged stream crossings, and shady playgrounds terminating at the community park where gazebos and piers overlook the calm West Loch of Pearl Harbor. Views of protected waterbirds inside and out of the NWR.

BUG SPRAY A MUST. Mosquitoes and other little flying bugs everywhere. It's ok. Super easy paved sidewalks. First I went to the left from parking lot, nice paved sidewalk, a few docks. A bit less then a 1/2 mile it's fenced off. The unpleasant smell that every so often slaps you in face is from the pools of reclaimed water at the golf course. I turned around and took path to right of parking lot. Paved, some shade. Cool tall dock overlooking the water. Past tall dock 5ft tall grass on the sides of path made me feel surrounded by bugs. Didn't go to the end. I didn't have bug spray.

The trail was short but, great for my 2 yr old little legs. we saw many native birds, explored several piers and feed some fishes.

It was a nice walk, but very short. Nice for my puppy.

I parked in the parking lot, which has bathrooms. The trail was about a half mile paved loop through the community park. I had to do a few loops to make it worth it, which got a little boring. When you start from the parking lot make the left towards the water, then stay to right at the fork. There are several places where the trail forks through the park; keep to the right to make the loop. Stroller friendly, quiet, and some wildlife to look at. Trail is along the water, though it's not the prettiest water. There are two paths leading away from the park; one towards Ewa and one towards Waipahu. I had a sleeping baby with me, so we stuck with the stroller walk through the park.

I'm unsure if i went the right way, I was at the starting point and went 3 miles out and back, but there were no views. after a half a mile, the very well maintained paved path turned into a dirt path. i didnt mind as thats good for trail running. as i went on, the area started veering into the low income residential waipahu area. there was broken glass and random abandoned carts in one area. at the 1.5 mile mark the path was blocked by a run down, rusted over bridge with rails blocking entry. I decided to go left and went a short way before turning around at the road with the school and temple. I would only recommend this trail to locals who want to run on a soft, flat trail.

Saturday, April 30, 2016