Waipuilani Falls is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The trail there is hard to follow and even if you have been here lots of times. There are ribbons placed now but they come in and out so you have to end up just trailblazing to find the falls! Idea is to just head towards town and keep heading to the left. If you keep going towards town, you will eventually bump into a stream with flowing water. Thats it!

The end makes this trail worth it! It was rather muddy today, but we didnt feel the need to put our spikes on. I could see how it would be easy to get lost on this trail. We got to the falls easily enough, through a combination of following the alltrails GPS map, following ribbons, and keeping an eye on where the mountains are. Got lost for a few minutes on the way back, but found our way by using the alltrails GPS and walking in the direction of the trail.
Be prepared to get muddy!!

Extremely difficult to navigate. We had to be rescued. Make sure you go very early to allow way way way more than enough time to get back before dark because you most likely will get lost more than ten times. Even following the ribbons will lead you in circles and going the wrong way.

Could not find this trail even by GPS! Found the trail head and a few ribbons but then the trail is too obscure to follow. We almost got lost in the thick bamboo forest. I would not attempt this unless you are very experienced with this area. This path needs a clearer foot trail otherwise this can be dangerous in terms of losing course and getting lost.

Did however climb the trail from nuuama pali lookout and that was a short intense hike to the top of the lookout! Very muddy, very slippery but kinda fun and challenging.

2018-09-29 Went during moderate rain. The falls were amazing. I would recommend doing this hike either during or immediately after a rain shower to see the falls at their full potential. The trail is very heavily ribboned - pink, orange, and yellow. Use the GPS map along with the ribbons to find your way. I inadvertently did a loop following ribbons on the way return trip. Overall fairly easy hike if you follow the GPS.

We went on the sunny day, so the trail was easy and very beautiful, but the waterfall not so full of the water.

I believe so, if you go to this waterfall on the rainy days, the trail gets much more complicated and dangerous, but at the same time, the waterfall should be worth it.

Also, has to mention, that the colorful tapes helped a lot, but we still used “AllTrails” map, too.

Wow... amazing hike. Do early enough so you don’t run out of daylight. Get ready to get lost a few times along the way.

DNF.

A. Start at the Pali Lookout, park and pay the fee, check out the lookout, and then walk down in the opposite direction and you'll find the actual trailhead.

B. Very confusing trail. I can't imagine this is actually moderately trafficked, there was hardly any footprints or foot trails to follow. Ribbons in the trees help you find your way, and if you have a full charge on your phone or whatever with GPS and this app you'll be alright. But. It is difficult. Attempted 6/7/2018 and it was muddy and very slick, leaves covering the trail most of the time. Walking through a bamboo forest is pretty sweet and was a nice surprise. Not too humid like other tropical hikes that I've attempted in the past. It just took us twice as long as it should have for the distance because we were trying to find the trail half of the time.

I'm sure the falls are worth it if you can get there. We unfortunately had to turn back for time constraints. But I'd love to attempt it again if I end up back on Oahu.

Using this app was a life saver otherwise very confusing trail.

Awesome hike, go from Lulumahu Falls Trail, the hike is a bit more adventurous.

we couldn't find the trail head and no idea we had to go over a fence maybe

Sunday, June 04, 2017