Waipuilani Falls

Waipuilani Falls is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The trail there is hard to follow and even if you have been here lots of times. There are ribbons placed now but they come in and out so you have to end up just trailblazing to find the falls! Idea is to just head towards town and keep heading to the left. If you keep going towards town, you will eventually bump into a stream with flowing water. Thats it!

We went on the sunny day, so the trail was easy and very beautiful, but the waterfall not so full of the water.

I believe so, if you go to this waterfall on the rainy days, the trail gets much more complicated and dangerous, but at the same time, the waterfall should be worth it.

Also, has to mention, that the colorful tapes helped a lot, but we still used “AllTrails” map, too.

Wow... amazing hike. Do early enough so you don’t run out of daylight. Get ready to get lost a few times along the way.

DNF.

A. Start at the Pali Lookout, park and pay the fee, check out the lookout, and then walk down in the opposite direction and you'll find the actual trailhead.

B. Very confusing trail. I can't imagine this is actually moderately trafficked, there was hardly any footprints or foot trails to follow. Ribbons in the trees help you find your way, and if you have a full charge on your phone or whatever with GPS and this app you'll be alright. But. It is difficult. Attempted 6/7/2018 and it was muddy and very slick, leaves covering the trail most of the time. Walking through a bamboo forest is pretty sweet and was a nice surprise. Not too humid like other tropical hikes that I've attempted in the past. It just took us twice as long as it should have for the distance because we were trying to find the trail half of the time.

I'm sure the falls are worth it if you can get there. We unfortunately had to turn back for time constraints. But I'd love to attempt it again if I end up back on Oahu.

Using this app was a life saver otherwise very confusing trail.

Awesome hike, go from Lulumahu Falls Trail, the hike is a bit more adventurous.

we couldn't find the trail head and no idea we had to go over a fence maybe

Sunday, June 04, 2017