Waimano Falls Trail

Waimano Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pearl City, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

It’s a steep, enjoyably challenging track down and the bottom is such a treat! There’s a gorgeous waterfall that trickles down to another small waterfall that’s about a hot tub sized natural pool area and that trickles down to another fall with a deep pool with big ropes as well as multiple points on every side with areas (marked with a white patch of spray paint) where you can jump off. The climbs to the jumping points range from easy to medium to hard. Swim and jump at your own risk.

It was the first trail I’ve done in a while but if I can complete it so can you.

A lot of people saying don’t hike when it’s been raining, I say don’t hike when it hasn’t! Anyone who has been there on a week of great sun will tell you the pools can get stagnant and turn brown. Definitely kicks up the difficulty when it is raining since you’ll be climbing and descending on a layer of mud! But I guess it just depends if you are highlighting the falls and swimming or just worried about the hike. Just the hike, go when it’s sunny, falls and a quick dip, wait for a decent amount of rain.

Beautiful hike, not much signage, we took a wrong turn once and had some difficulty finding the falls. We went after there had been a lot of rain so the waterfall was flowing hard and we did not attempt to get into the creek, although the rope swing looked fun.

Hiked the day after heavy rains from Hurricane Lane. Trails were pretty slick/muddy. Very technical in spots with some pretty amazing views.

Fun

Nice falls, not to muddy, nice to jump in the water!

Deciding to hike this after tons of rain maybe wasn't the best choice. Very muddy, so dress accordingly. The waterfall was fun, but had a very strong current after all the rain. I'm glad we hiked it only because the waterfall was pretty, but not my favorite hike.

Great hike. With tropical storm Lane so close, it is a wet slippery hike. The falls are strong and the water has flooded a bit.

Quiet technic but ok ... super place to see ... we enjoyed it . Not for raining days at all ... our 9 walked easily to the fall but he is used to .

Kinda muddy but over all it’s a great hike!

Comparatively speaking, in terms of other Oahu hikes, this hike was only average. But, that’s just in terms of what my perception is of the payoff at the end, and my subjective judgement about other trails’ payoff. If you like rope swings into small swimming areas at the end, you may be totally inclined. And, for only being about 3 miles round trip, it gives you a pretty intense workout coming back. This is what I would call a reverse hike; down and in (to the valley), back and up (to the ridge, or start). The trail is very muddy in some parts, along with some moderate rocky areas where you’ll have to slightly climb. So, slippers if you dare. Even on a moderate day, like today, you’ll sweat going downhill. Bring or wear swimming trunks, or a bathing suit because you’ll need to jump into the icy mountain stream to cool off before heading straight back up the ridge. If you’re on Oahu vacationing and your hiking choices become limited due to weather or travel, or live here, but want to do something new for exercise, then yes, I’d recommend it. Otherwise, I’d try and pick something else that wasn’t nearly as strenuous for the payoff at the end. Other Recommendations: Olomana (Three Peaks), Hawaii Loa Ridge, Crouching Lion, Tantalus, Manoa Falls, Makapu’u Lighthouse, Hanauma Crater

don't leave oahu without doing this hike!

A very nice a quiet waterfall. The hill back up is for sure like a stairmaster. It can be steep, just be cautious.

Great hike and challenging. What makes it hard is the steep decline with the muddy wet areas. However retiring was faster, but more strenuous due to using leg muscles allot. The water fall was great and there are cliffs where you can jump into the pond.

unique in that you are hiking down to a waterfall. moderately steep decline over many roots but there are plenty of ropes and trees you can hold to help you down(and back up).there's only one part that opens up for a view but mostly it's thru narrow paths with alot of tree cover and mud. we ran into a hunting party with 6 dogs who just killed a boar. pretty awesome. don't forget to bring a swimsuit to swim at the waterfall.

the trail splits at the very beginning giving you the option to go down or stay up. I would recommend going down then take the top on the way back. I went with my 15, 10 and 8 yr olds. it was a little challenging because the trail was slippery but we made it!

Awesome! Muddy and slippery but worth the trip!

Literally my fav hike eva holy shat so fun, I like jumped and stuff, there where like trees there. Overall the water was nice. Muddy too. Outdoors is cool. Recommend for people over the age of 77.

Love this hike. Moderate for sure especially when wet. Falls were not really running too much in June. Rope swing always fun

Amazing hike ... we went early (on the trail by 7 AM) and had the falls and swimming hole to ourselves for 40 minuets before the multitudes started arriving.

Waterfall and swimming hole is worth it. Had fun jumping off the ropes. Not much to look at on the actual hike though. Pretty muddy so be prepared for that. Fairly easy hike overall.

My wife and I loved the challenge of the root and rock wall that we encountered. We definitely learned we needed more water for the hike! Being new to the area it was really nice to see the nature around us. The waterfall was beautiful and the were two areas where you can swim and jump off the rope swing or rocks. Will definitely be doing this trail again!

When I first reached the waterfall, it was more of a trickle; however, I decided to wait for a bit and it steadily increased. Definitely worth the hike down here.

Definitely harder than it looks. No one tells you that it gets very steep. Had to turn back cuz I was afraid my son wouldn’t make it down. Maybe I’ll try again without the kids.

Loved the waterfalls. The hike itself wasn’t too exciting but the end was worth it. Would do again.

Fun hike. I left early (started at 8:30am) and didn't see a single person on the way down. Swam for about half an hour before another group of hikers joined. If you don't like crowds I advise going early as it was very peaceful. Well marked trail, I was expecting a mud storm as it rained the night before but with hiking shoes it was very manageable.

Cliff jumping, rope swinging, lounging. Kinda busy but super fun and good people watching. Real real pretty.

This short trail it’s a good family hike with kids, and at the end they can jump in the pools by the waterfall. The 1st mile it’s very easy, basically flat walking until you get to the junction with Manana Trail. Here you take right and start descending, and yes you get to the famous Cardiac Hill which gets a little steep and covered with roots. This section it’s a little bit harder coming back from the falls, but if take it easy and steady you will be over it in no time.
Best to visit weekdays, weekends can get very crowded (that is the reason I don’t go to often here). Summer time water gets little stagnanat, I prefer to go after rain to see more flow.

This hike is not moderate, in my opinion. It is easy at the beginning with the first 1.6 miles then it is a sheer rock scramble for 0.8 miles. It is very muddy, but totally worth it once you get to the waterfall. The top waterfall requires a rope repelling descent, Which was scary enough that some 30-year-old men didn’t feel comfortable doing it. The waterfall itself is beautiful there’s a large pool right underneath it and then it goes into a secondary waterfall which is smaller but the pool is very large and deep enough for cliff jumping. There are also two rope swings there. Gorgeous. Also longer than expected...It looks like the original 2.8 mile loop was wiped out by a mudslide the roots in is 2.2 miles and then you reverse it coming out for a total of 4.4 miles. Enjoy!

I did this hike by myself about a week ago and didn't know how seriously to take the other reviews. I will verify, the hike was very very muddy, prepare to be dirty, and had very steep inclines and declines. I know there are multiple ways to get to the falls but for someone alone trying to decide which way to go, that was definitely a challenge. Thankfully it is well traveled and I had a couple people direct me and there were colored plastic markers to follow. I wouldn't call it well marked otherwise, be ready to retrace your steps and and climb around until you find the falls.

The falls are beautiful, nothing crazy big but so much fun to listen to, climb around, jump off of, and swim in the big pool at the bottom of the third fall. Wear your suit under you clothes and bring a towel. With it being so short I don't think you need an extra pair of clothes, getting out is much faster than getting in, in my opinion.

I probably wouldn't want to bring any small children because the parts where you need to carry them are also very slippery and it would be very dangerous to fall while holding a child.

Overall, I think all levels of fitness could do this hike but it will take you a lot longer the more out of shape you are. If your body is up for it, the root climbing and steep, short hills just ad to the fun! I had a lot of fun, probably wouldn't do it alone again but will be bringing people to in the future.