Waimano Falls Trail

Waimano Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pearl City, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Honolulu: From H-1, exit at the Pearl City/Waimalu exit. Turn right on Moanalua Road at the end of the ramp. As Moanalua Road ends, turn right on Waimano Home Road. Continue on Waimano Home road until you reach a guard shack with a parking area on the left. Park here - the trails begin at the end of the chain link fence.

I initially thought everyone was exaggerating in the comments. They really aren't. I've done many many hikes and this was pretty intense. Very important to stick to the left side going DOWN once you get to a graffitied sign. Once you start to descend the road gets narrow and slippery. Plan your next 3-4 steps in case you slip. Once i got to the ropes I voluntarily slip down and covered my behind in mud. It was just impossible to go down without falling. You'll reach a small stream of water after you've descended cardiac hill, follow the rope and get ready for the hardest part of the trail. Very narrow, very slippery, not much to hold on to. The fall is amazing and worth it. On the bright side, my 10 year old daughter was with me and did better than I did. It is doable, just be prepared and careful.

Take note of all comments below. I did this yesterday after a fairly decent downpour of rain - it was very muddy and slippery from the point of starting the slow decent down the canyon side. Once I reached "cardiac" hill as i've seen it called it was fairly tricky. Couple of slips to be expected. Tree roots are NOT your friends when wet. Use all ropes and tree branches as support and tread very carefully. Coming back up was a lot easier than heading down. After the crazy part of the descent you'll hit a T-junction. Left to the falls, but right is quite interesting for the first 100m as the trail becomes extremely narrow between dense bushes.

good hiking.muddy and wet. i recommend wear shoes to go hike it. watch out for dog poops on road.

Longer than 2.8, more like 3.3. Easy walk for about half, then scrambling over rocks, roots and boulders for the decent and ascent of the canyon wall. Very technical, and very steep. I would not call this a moderate trail. Smaller kids, like less than 5' tall will struggle with this trail because there are many tall steps/drops. We liked going up better than going down. The pool was not my kinda swimming hole, and it was very busy. The falls were more of a trickle, but the trail was almost completely dry. I will take a dry trail over an impressive waterfall. If this trail was real wet and muddy, like I've heard it can be, it would not have been fun at all. I might do this again, but probably not.

Great hike with plenty of shade along the way. I did it with my 5, 7 and 15. Easy enough for the seven year old and even my five year old enjoyed the ropes for a bit. It was slippery and a few slips in the mud were enough that he wanted me to put him in the ergo(he's small). Great pool and ropes for swimming and jumping in.

Like some of the other reviews, this trail eventually gets very tricky. It starts out paved but then gets very muddy, slippery and steep. It starts out sort of as a ridge trail, but in order to get to the Falls you have to climb down, quite steeply, into the valley. Then back up. There is a point where you must hold onto a rope to keep from slipping down a portion of the trail.

pool is worth it at the end but be aware this is a very muddy trail and very narrow at times. Not for the average hiker and not for kids under 6, due to dangerous ledges.

I would say this one is more on the difficult side and definitely not well marked, especially towards the end. I went in mid-June and it was very muddy, it's not a big deal usually, but this was on the extreme side. The steepness feels a lot more than advertised (one of the slopes is dubbed "cardiac hill", for a reason). My biggest complaint though was the lack of indication at the main fork in the road about 15 min after cardiac hill. Go left! Going right will take you nowhere for a long time. This is also not a good hike for small children and dogs as there are many big "steps" and a rope descent at the end to get down to the waterfall pool.

I know I am being negative on this one, but if you are semi in shape, don't mind getting muddy, and go left at the fork, you will enjoy this hike. I would recommend Lulumahu over this one though.