Wailupe Loop Trail

Wailupe Loop Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

bridge out

old growth

Ths loop is very similar to Kulepeamoa Loop. Once you get to the Koolau Summit trail, turn left ad join up with the terminus of Wiliwilinui Ridge junction.

A rarely use trail that traverses up Wailupe's middle ridge to the Koolau Summit. You gain about 2,400' in about 2 miles so yes, it can get quite steep. A lot of native plants. We did not do the loop, just out and back. Guaranteed a good workout.

While there wasn't many view points to look at the valley, mountains, or ocean, there's lots of creek views, tropical foliage, flowers, bamboo forest, tropical fruits, avocado, etc... Not really a hard hike (I made it back to the pine forest), but not easy. Lots of roots and rocks, some mud. I'd like to go if I have more time, go a bit further back.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Thursday, August 13, 2015

As a novice hiker, I will never do this hike again. I'm lucky to have made it out with only a few scrapes and bruises. From the beginning, we were worried. The entrance to the trail is right in someone's drive way. Once you enter, there is a fence covered in green tarp with graffiti all over it. If you persevere, you find yourself surrounded by beautiful bamboo, but that's where the fun stopped for us. It was practically a mosquito breeding ground. They ate good yesterday. They snacked through our repellant and our clothes. All of a sudden, the trail tags changed from pink to orange, then randomly purple. We felt okay because we were seeing tags, but we found ourselves rock climbing up an algae covered river bed (also chalk full of mosquitos and ants) and decided to turn around and found a halfhearted trail off to the side marked with orange tags. At this point we realized we were lost. We kept pushing as we lost daylight, and found ourselves hanging on for dear life off of the side of an almost vertical cliff. We jumped from tree to tree, hoping we don't fall onto the bed of slippery rocks below us. Thank goodness to whoever tied a rope to the trees deep in the forest. I have never been so happy to have my two feet planted on the ground again once we repelled down the rope. We pulled our maps out and headed south back to the trail head with thousands of bug bites, bloody arms, and a vow to never do this trail again.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Great hike. Easy to find the trail head at the end of Hao St. I drove my moped here from town too :)
Surprisingly difficult when you start going up Wailupe Ridge. If you have rope, I'd bring it. I only did one hour up and one back but made it up pretty far! Great views and wild life (saw a Jackson's Chameleon right at the beginning).
The trail is well marked with pink ribbons and bottle caps.

Monday, February 09, 2015

Great hike. Difficult. Took me 6 hours.

Monday, February 09, 2015

Difficult, with a very steep ascent up Wailupe ridgeline. Koolau summit trail crossing involved, then a very steep descent. Took 6 hours.