EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

5 minutes ago

One of my favorite hikes I have ever done. The clouds cleared uo long enough to see all the views! Very muddy so be careful on the way down. can get very slippery at times

We didn't see the views because of heavy mist--but this was still my favorite hike! The mist was cool and a little eerie :) Fun for my six and three year old boys.

Great hike and well worth it! It gets slippery on the way down when the fog and mist roll on.

Wonderful views!!! Very steep inclines. So if you are a beginner, I would suggest going very slow (like I did)

Muddy, challenging, awesome view

Beautiful mountain and water views throughout. Little shade, so start early. Great hike!

The best views! Worth it.

One of my favorite trails on the island. Bring plenty of water and give yourself ample time. Sometimes the terrain is wet and muddy. The views are worth the effort.

Amazing g trail great for beginners but the initial path is a little hard

Beautiful trail. Just foggy at the top. Definitely our favorite on the island!

This trail came highly recommended by locals, and understandably so.

We'd heard from a few folks that the toughest part might be the incline up the cement trail right at the outset. With that in mind, we were expecting the trail to level out shortly thereafter but it kind of just keeps going up and up for the duration of the ascent. It's not terrible, but it'll likely deliver a good workout. Elevating 1,800 feet in a touch over two miles will tend to do that.

The beauty shines through pretty early on and only gets better. The moment you exit the forest you're going to want to stop and gawk, but know there's going to be a number of lookout points along the way.

On this particular day, our final climb (after crossing over one of the few level areas) took us into the clouds. It seems like the view would have been incredible at the very top but it was at least partially obscured for most of the time we were up there. I will say, if it's cloudy, be patient. There's a chance they'll move out, at least for a moment or two, to open up a look at the valley in one direction and the ocean in the other.

In terms of difficulty, it was pretty accessible to normal folk like us but again, it'll give you a solid workout.

In terms of fear factor, I don't recall there being too many locations that seemed problematic, even for hikers with limited experience. The wind kicks up here or there so some parts may require the type of caution you should always be using, but I don't recall any do-or-die narrow ridgelines like you may see at some of these islands' other hikes. Ka'au Crater gave us a lot more to consider on that front than this one ever did.

All told, highly recommend this trail. My hiking partner wasn't sure about it going in but came away raving at its beauty.

Bonus: If you're lucky, you might spot a cattle egret riding a cow at the trail's outset. Probably normal sight for locals, but birds don't ride cattle much in Michigan, so we're easily amused.